General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We are fortunate in a sense as members of the public with an interest in the shopping television world to have this kind of industry information from the inside to read and contribute to. What is tells you more than anything else is coming to market with a product start with ZERO customers on board is a huge risk. When you watch Dragons’ Den businesses pitch up in front of the investors, the main probing questions they ask are all about numbers - sales and net profits…Can you imagine the following pitch for Seen on TV:-

Iles: “And we are looking for £100,000 for a 5 percent stake in our Business…Seen on TV.”
Dragon: “ And how many viewers do you have on Seen On TV?”
Iles: “Well, we’ve just started, so not many at present.”
Dragon: “How many is not many?”
Iles: “Erm…275..”
Dragon: “And how many products have you sold to date, then?”
Iles: “ Well, as I said…we’ve just started up, so erm…500 pots of glue, 50 air fryers and 35 18 hour Corselettes .”
Dragon: “Net profit on those?”
Iles: “£500 on the glue, £250 on the air fryers and £175 on the shapewear.”
Dragon: “And your daily operating costs?”
Iles: “Well…erm…£3000 a day….”
Dragon: “And how exactly do you see a Dragon helping you?”
Iles: “Well…paying the operating costs for a bit and finding us some more customers.”
Dragon: “I’M OUT.”

That’s broadly the problem they face going by what’s been said. I hope they can sort it,

Last edited:
I think it is particularly sad that the new channel is in these difficulties and so early on. If some behind the scenes people did take a leap of faith and gave up jobs in the industry to come and work for them, I can’t imagine how they are feeling at this present time.

The longer they go on showing the same few repeats with the same amount of limited products seems to be even more divisive for them in trying to come out of the situation that they find themselves in. New investors surely want to see viewers/buyers, a strong infrastructure and products being shifted. They aren’t doing this and need the investment to do the very thing they cannot evidence to potential finance injectors who want to see that in place before investing. Stuffed.

To be in a such a mess and so soon after start-up must call into question their original contingency plans. It looks like they were caught out badly by something they should arguably have been prepared for financially. From what has been said they weren’t prepared for it at all, hence going off-air live. Selling goods more appealing to older people, people who want to buy more conventionally via the telephone, further alienates they clear buying market. The longer this goes on the less the chances of both returning to air live and in turn surviving as a going concern.

I thought Tik Tok was the sound of a clock🤔. Seriously though, never been on it, but young interns in my office are obsessed with it. I never go on Instagram any more, and can't often be bothered with Facebook as I end up wasting time looking at rubbish.

I'm 56 and like how technology can make my life easier and not scared of it but social media doesn't really interest me. As for the subject of Influencers, don't get me started...
Same as me. I certainly wouldn't want to be without technology and all its benefits, but as for going on Facebook to tell everyone I had cornflakes for breakfast, well, no thanks. And so-called "Influencers" such as Mrs The Grinch or whatever her name is, all I can say is that they don't influence me, apart from giving me a good laugh.

Hi everyone,
You all make good points and I’m happy to answer what I can and what I know. :)
To get a national channel you have to take the airtime when it’s offered to you. We bid and successfully won the airtime against 2 other potential companies (no idea who they are - it could have been a new comedy channel or a new documentary channel for example)

The air-time is available when other channels currently on the platform give it up. So if we didn’t get it when offered you may have to wait 3 months or 9 months or 18 months until it becomes available again.
So we bid for it and Simon’s business plan was successful and we were awarded the airtime.

We launched, knowing it would be a bit of a learning curve as we go along but everyone was aware of that and happy to put in the time and effort to make it work.

And it did for the first 5 days (despite the camera issues)

But what we didn’t foresee and what solicitors didn’t pick up is the monthly payments potentially being increased or changed to require more of a deposit from us within the contract.

Any you know what? I get it. The platform may be nervous that we are a new channel and wanted to make sure they are going to receive all there revenue. This bit im not fully apart of and am not going to pretend to be all knowing.
All I can tell you is a group of us joined to make this something new because there is enough space in our opinion in the selly telly market for QVC, IW, Shop on TV and us. As long as we offered enough variety and different products and price points than the others.
The costs are huge so with the best will in the world if the price of something is doubled we do not have that extra revenue lying around. Not without risking the wages of the staff and freelancers who come to try and make a success of the channel.

Simon was adamant that everyone who has worked for the channel gets paid and would rather pay them, go on tape and try to get it fixed than just keep going live, not tell anyone what the issue is and run the risk that nobody gets paid and the whole thing collapses.
So he has put the channel to tape, is paying everyone and is working on the investment needed. So that even if we end up lasting a week, the major financial burden and loss lies squarely with him.
That is where we are. He’s trying to fix it but his main priority above everything else was covering those who have put in the time to help launch the channel.

And that is everything I know. Simon has told me I can be as transparent as I like on here. I’m not vetted etc.
We all tried to set up a new channel and managed to launch it successfully. But we didn’t see this coming down the line. In all the scenarios of what could go wrong (equipment breaking, potential stock issues, potential website issues) we didn’t think the current problem could even be an issue.
Is that nieve? Should we have had a huge team of solicitors pouring over every clause of every contract? Maybe we should. But that’s hindsight and we are doing the best we can with the budget we are working with. That’s everything I can tell you on here. Insiders may choose to tell you different stories. I don’t know who they are and they are entitled to tell you whatever they like.
But as me - Alex, I just want to get back on air, continue working with the people I love in the industry, try and do the best job we can and sell/entertain/inform.

Hi everyone,
You all make good points and I’m happy to answer what I can and what I know. :)
To get a national channel you have to take the airtime when it’s offered to you. We bid and successfully won the airtime against 2 other potential companies (no idea who they are - it could have been a new comedy channel or a new documentary channel for example)

The air-time is available when other channels currently on the platform give it up. So if we didn’t get it when offered you may have to wait 3 months or 9 months or 18 months until it becomes available again.
So we bid for it and Simon’s business plan was successful and we were awarded the airtime.

We launched, knowing it would be a bit of a learning curve as we go along but everyone was aware of that and happy to put in the time and effort to make it work.

And it did for the first 5 days (despite the camera issues)

But what we didn’t foresee and what solicitors didn’t pick up is the monthly payments potentially being increased or changed to require more of a deposit from us within the contract.

Any you know what? I get it. The platform may be nervous that we are a new channel and wanted to make sure they are going to receive all there revenue. This bit im not fully apart of and am not going to pretend to be all knowing.
All I can tell you is a group of us joined to make this something new because there is enough space in our opinion in the selly telly market for QVC, IW, Shop on TV and us. As long as we offered enough variety and different products and price points than the others.
The costs are huge so with the best will in the world if the price of something is doubled we do not have that extra revenue lying around. Not without risking the wages of the staff and freelancers who come to try and make a success of the channel.

Simon was adamant that everyone who has worked for the channel gets paid and would rather pay them, go on tape and try to get it fixed than just keep going live, not tell anyone what the issue is and run the risk that nobody gets paid and the whole thing collapses.
So he has put the channel to tape, is paying everyone and is working on the investment needed. So that even if we end up lasting a week, the major financial burden and loss lies squarely with him.
That is where we are. He’s trying to fix it but his main priority above everything else was covering those who have put in the time to help launch the channel.

And that is everything I know. Simon has told me I can be as transparent as I like on here. I’m not vetted etc.
We all tried to set up a new channel and managed to launch it successfully. But we didn’t see this coming down the line. In all the scenarios of what could go wrong (equipment breaking, potential stock issues, potential website issues) we didn’t think the current problem could even be an issue.
Is that nieve? Should we have had a huge team of solicitors pouring over every clause of every contract? Maybe we should. But that’s hindsight and we are doing the best we can with the budget we are working with. That’s everything I can tell you on here. Insiders may choose to tell you different stories. I don’t know who they are and they are entitled to tell you whatever they like.
But as me - Alex, I just want to get back on air, continue working with the people I love in the industry, try and do the best job we can and sell/entertain/inform.
Me thinks Alex, should be having fun with his kids, while we have summer

I am striving to be fair and balanced, but Alex and both insiders' statements are creating confusion about what is actually happening. All three of them have inside information, yet we have two different accounts of what is going on. Alex's posts convey to me...

I'm uncertain if I'm right, but I believe Everyone TV is in charge of the daily operations of the Freeview platforms. My assumption is that Simon/Seen on TV will lease the Freeview channel from them. When Simon signed his contract to lease channel 79 (I know some people are on channel 94). Simon's solicitor missed a clause in the contract about the lease cost for the channel been increased and this has caused a bigger financial loss than planned for and this is the reason it has stopped live broadcasts.

Both insiders posts convey to me that more is going on behind the scenes and the reason the boradcasts have stopped is because they are making no sales and the repeats are been played to save money on live broadcasting in the hope of making some sales and going back live if the sales pick up. It appears that these individuals have a personal connection to people who work there, or they have a connection to someone who knows someone. The information that was shared could only be given by someone who is employed there.

I am taking a stab in the dark, one of them either used to work for Ideal World or currently works behind the scenes at Ideal World now and that is the connection, because some of the behind the scenes staff at Seen on TV will have worked at Ideal World in Peterborough. There is a limited number of individuals who have experience doing this type of work. The long hours will discourage many people from doing this type of work.

The Insiders aren’t Employees at Seen on TV, so I’m guessing other shopping channels, so would probably thrive in seeing a channel go bust

Because Insider is not working at SeoTV they can be more honest, though. It might not be the news you want to hear, given you’re very fond of the channel, but given people flogging rattan told customers nothing was wrong when things were imploding behind the scenes, I appreciate the “insider” info Insider is putting out there.

And as ghoulish as it may be to get that info in realtime, it’s fascinating to learn some of the details involved, e.g., sales figures, freeview carriage costs, etc, and how shopping TV in general works - learning how the gammon-flavoured sausage is made, so to speak!

Though, to stress: I don’t want to see SeoTV fail. It’s been somewhat refreshing (although the use of Jonathan Borethere and Dartmouth Brands watches and slimy Tim are low points) and a chance to course correct away from the dubious practices of TatJC.

You’ll note in some of Alex’s replies he doesn’t dispute what insider has said, and even asked if they could stop sharing the precise details to cut SeoTV some slack (my paraphrasing) as they’re trying their best to bootstrap a new channel.

Last edited:
Just to add my two penn'orth,

Has anyone else noticed the volume from SOTV is extremely loud compared to all the other shopping channels? I'm at the point where I turn the TV down before flipping over (I'm watching via Freesat if that's relevant)

Having done a quick google search interestingly (well I find it interesting anyway) Rediffusion the company with the amazing heritage (as we're constantly told) and Hamilton Beach have the same customer support telephone number,

Does anyone know where they are based (studio and warehouse if they have one)? The address listed on the website is the building below and I'm not sure if that's just the registered address (lots of other companies listed at the same address) or if they are broadcasting from there, Having seen the tiny broom cupboard that IW seem to be in now it would seem like a luxurious amount of space by comparison!

For all it's opening teething issues I do hope the channel survives now we've lost IW, Yes I know it's still on air but it's SO trashy now and picture quality too poor I just can't bare to watch, Add to that Peter, Sally and the endless list of red LED products that'll cure anything from acne to leprosy I've given up watching

1719108830106.png

EPE International, Belfry House, Roydsdale Way, Bradford, BD4 6SU. This is the company operating out of the customer service address for Rediffusion and Hamilton Beach in the UK. Now, nothing really changes, does it? The current Rediffusion brand has absolutely nothing to do with the company responsible for the London ITV franchise in the 1960s. The clear selling line was the heritage and tradition of the brand name when the fans were on air on the channel. This is yet another case of dead brand/company names being acquired by new businesses with no direct connection to the name they choose to resurrect. Swan & Edgar…Mann Egerton..Gamages…RCA…Blaupunkt…Hell & Bowel…Rediffusion…The list goes on. Not just on Seen on TV, but on QVC, Ideal World and others - they all do it. Making a direct association with goods under these names with the companies they USED to be, and NOT who they are now. The ASA finds against them for doing this and ‘Tells Them Off’ but nothing changes. Why do these channels do this? Genuine ignorance? Fooling people?

When the presenters were making the heritage and long-term nature of Rediffusion to the fans they were selling, I thought this doesn’t sound right. I thought Rediffusion was a long-dead electronics and broadcasting name from decades ago. But a clear connection was pursued to suggest continuity to the extent that the company is the same one then as it is now. It isn’t. Like Swan & Edgar the Department Store is not Swan & Edgar the Chinese made watches brand badged watch company. Genuinely…Why do it? Just tell people it’s a traditional name, but make it clear its nothing to do with the original company.

EPE International, Belfry House, Roydsdale Way, Bradford, BD4 6SU. This is the company operating out of the customer service address for Rediffusion and Hamilton Beach in the UK. Now, nothing really changes, does it? The current Rediffusion brand has absolutely nothing to do with the company responsible for the London ITV franchise in the 1960s. The clear selling line was the heritage and tradition of the brand name when the fans were on air on the channel. This is yet another case of dead brand/company names being acquired by new businesses with no direct connection to the name they choose to resurrect. Swan & Edgar…Mann Egerton..Gamages…RCA…Blaupunkt…Hell & Bowel…Rediffusion…The list goes on. Not just on Seen on TV, but on QVC, Ideal World and others - they all do it. Making a direct association with goods under these names with the companies they USED to be, and NOT who they are now. The ASA finds against them for doing this and ‘Tells Them Off’ but nothing changes. Why do these channels do this? Genuine ignorance? Fooling people?

When the presenters were making the heritage and long-term nature of Rediffusion to the fans they were selling, I thought this doesn’t sound right. I thought Rediffusion was a long-dead electronics and broadcasting name from decades ago. But a clear connection was pursued to suggest continuity to the extent that the company is the same one then as it is now. It isn’t. Like Swan & Edgar the Department Store is not Swan & Edgar the Chinese made watches brand badged watch company. Genuinely…Why do it? Just tell people it’s a traditional name, but make it clear its nothing to do with the original company.
My name is Den - guilty as charged 😳😡

It was her and Alex doing the fans show. I only saw a part of it, so perhaps it was at some point made clear during the presentation that the Rediffusion of today has no connection other than by name with the Rediffusion of the past. If not, then potentially, viewers were not given the full facts. You have one hour to be transparent on brand history if you choose to be. It’s more than enough time.

It was her and Alex doing the fans show. I only saw a part of it, so perhaps it was at some point made clear during the presentation that the Rediffusion of today has no connection other than by name with the Rediffusion of the past. If not, then potentially, viewers were not given the full facts. You have one hour to be transparent on brand history if you choose to be. It’s more than enough time.
Morning guys - I know I said I’m away with the kids over the weekend but I want to jump in on this point above and explain from my point of view because this question comes up a lot in shopping TV and I want to show you where I get my information from and answer the above points. You may disagree with all of it but at least you have an answer 😊.

Rediffusion fans. We brought them into the business because people were asking for fans and bladeless ones. I happily did the demo to show people round the fan and how it works, checked on Google what the prices were and most places were selling them at £99. We can sell them at £89 so we can beat the majority of the market and still make a margin. So we are happy, you are happy and we can show the prices and time stamp comparison.
simple as that.

The brand and the heritage of the fans - here’s where I got all the information from below. I went to the company website and learnt it. I’ll add the link at the bottom.
So for me, I have a great little fan that works well, is good quality, has a good price and I have a history of the brand to talk about. I did mention in the show that I’m not a fan expert and I might get some facts wrong (like a date etc - I think one show I said 1923 and it was 1928 I meant).
That’s live tv though and I accept that if I’m doing hours and hours of it I am going to make mistakes and if it’s a big one - we get picked up by ASA or a producers will let me/us know in our ear and we correct ourselves. We aren’t perfect that I agree with you all on.

But I would say don’t look too much into thinking we are deliberately leading people up the garden path. This is where I found all my information on Rediffusion. I don’t look much further than this because at the end of the day it’s a good product, a good price, the website and company information tells me all I need to know to tell people at home and I don’t have time to question whether the information on the company website is true or not because I also believe what I’m reading.

These forums are great because you all really care. I said it before about Hammys breakdown of watches. You know your stuff. So i can read your points, do some extra research maybe and adjust my editorial on some of the products IF I agree there is a discrepancy. 😊

But I would say don’t over complicate it. here is where I got all the information from.

Latest posts

Back