16:9 aspect ratio

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
I am having so many problems with this. I did get a new TV as my old one really was getting past it, altho still working well.
I have a new Sanyo 26" but it had the wrong ratio. was on to the help centre to sort it and it took nearly an hour of fiddling about, and then their technician discovered it has to be altered on the Sky Box, which we did, quite simple to do. So now have an excellent pic on Q and super graphics, but on every other channel the heads are too big and lopped off. not happy and cannot keep changing the ratio every time I switch to Q.

Crikey that sounds like a nightmare! I always feel jarred when technology baffles me. I fought with my settings, then put it back to how it was, and currently watch on the computer. I will get a new TV and then I guess the fight will start again! Hope you get it sorted.

Crikey that sounds like a nightmare! I always feel jarred when technology baffles me. I fought with my settings, then put it back to how it was, and currently watch on the computer. I will get a new TV and then I guess the fight will start again! Hope you get it sorted.

If you ever need any advice about new tellies please shout. I don't work for anyone or anything I just like to search and help people :)

PJ

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why there is a problem with 16:9 widescreen TV's.

I have a 16:9 TV, and before the change the price box was a bit of a distance from the left edge, which I assumed so that it would still be visible on the squarer 4:3 screens.

All that seems to have happened is that the price box is now a lot closer to the left edge of the screen.

The people don't have fat heads, or long thin heads, nothing else seems to have changed.

The people don't have fat heads, or long thin heads, nothing else seems to have changed.

That made me laugh out loud!

I don't know why I can't seem to sort out technical stuff, I think I'm getting into a mental panic before I even start - I don't know if Ruthmay is the same, and then I'm beat before I start if you know what I mean. BUT I'm going to throw myself on the lovely PJs mercy when I get my new TV - however I am hoping it will all be OK then. I do understand the need for the change, I am just beyond useless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why there is a problem with 16:9 widescreen TV's.

I have a 16:9 TV, and before the change the price box was a bit of a distance from the left edge, which I assumed so that it would still be visible on the squarer 4:3 screens.

All that seems to have happened is that the price box is now a lot closer to the left edge of the screen.

Same here, I hadn't even noticed anything was different 'til I saw it mentioned here.
We have 3 tellies and all are fine.
I can well understand the frustration though, of those struggling.
I think the first thing I would do if having problems like this (prior to chucking telly out of window in despair) is to rescan for channels after changing the setting to 16:9.
No idea whether it would make a blind bit of difference, but it can't make it worse?

Last edited:
I'm struggling!!! We have a Panasonic Viera 32" telly, and now cannot see any prices properly - it's all drifted to the left! Playing with the aspect it's no better so I'll be saving myself a lot of money! Well I would like to watch it 'properly', but it's just too difficult for me to fathom out lol!!!!

i didn't really know til i came on here noticed the picture was wrong on qvc but thought it was just my tv changed it via my sky box and noticed on other channels i had more info than before like on sky news and sky sports i now get every lil bit of info before it was cut off was a revelation lol

Thanks for all your replies. Before I switched to 16;9 I lost most of the L on Q, now it is all quite clear. new tv is not widescreen, still 26". I think, as PJ says, it could be a question of overscan, but don't know where to find that. am afraid to do much more as have been fiddling with the colour and contrast, which I know is nothing to do with it, just personal taste. I get the crawl on the news channels ok, think I probably need to get more used to a different TV as my other one is very old. please feel free to post privately PJ to save boring everybody. I could ring the help centre again, but it takes hours and hours, and have had enough of that for now.

thanks again.

I'm struggling!!! We have a Panasonic Viera 32" telly, and now cannot see any prices properly - it's all drifted to the left! Playing with the aspect it's no better so I'll be saving myself a lot of money! Well I would like to watch it 'properly', but it's just too difficult for me to fathom out lol!!!!
Mine's exactly the same!! Half the info that's drifted to the left is chopped off and it's the same on TJC as well, can't see any of the ****** prices. :angry: I've tried changing the screen settings on the tv and my Sky box but no feckin change. I give up!! :headbang:

thanks for that Daisy, did that and have the 16;9 but it still looks out of proportion, altho all the info is there. will just have to get used to it.

Thats a shame Ruth... Maybe change your tv screen setting to Auto - that should make it switch to whatever the channel watched is broadcast in (I think)... Really hope you can get it sorted soon :hi:

Not sure if this link will help, but its about adjusting screen settings via your Sky remote: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/st...roblems/adjust-aspect-ratio-to-fit-TV-screen/

Daisy I think I love you, no that's wrong, I KNOW I love you:mysmilie_481:I consulted your link and it's perfect now!! :mysmilie_378:I found out what I was doing wrong - I had adjusted the picture settings but not the picture format...what a dummy. :blush: Thanks hon. :up: :mysmilie_12:

Thats a shame Ruth... Maybe change your tv screen setting to Auto - that should make it switch to whatever the channel watched is broadcast in (I think)... Really hope you can get it sorted soon :hi:

I just did that Daisy, but some reason it then squashes the CNN pic to the middle of the screen so gone back to 16:9 where it is ok. getting used to the elongated faces. lo
thanks againl

it's a lot better for me. since i got a widescreen tv, i've been on here complaining that the upright of the 'L' was smack bang in the middle of the screen and obliterating half the picture. now it's in the 'right' place.

i don't understand why it's not ok for everyone with a widescreen tv. i can understand it disappearing off the side on a 'square' screen.

i think qvc should make advice available seeing as they changed it - they want people to see it don't they?

only channel i have probs with is IW where they're all short and fat.

Latest posts

Back