A sinking ship

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I saw Carmel (former Q presenter) on the Jewelry Channel yesterday selling handbags. I watched the last few minutes of the show. It was obvious she was filling time and didn't have enough`to say about the ghastly bags she was selling, so she just kept repeating the price. She also described a bag she was wearing across her body as a clutch bag.! I noticed she wasn't wearing her wedding ring (oh how I remember the constant chatter on Q about her upcoming wedding) hope all is still well in paradise.

I have read on here similar :( an ex Ideal supplier who stated their terms were simply un-livable-with and that working with Ideal was an absolute nightmare.

I know a buyer who left because they couldn't bring in any products. The margin they want means most suppliers would have to sell at a loss. Especially with all their extra terms and conditions that chisel away further at the price.

At the end of the day a buying policy like that leaves you with a handful of overpriced products that are not what the viewers want, but what the suppliers are prepared to sell them

The thing is though is that IW have been going on for some years now with this piffling amount of products, that's the reason I switched to the Bidding channels - and they're still here - I just don't get it. With Bid, there was a lot of choice, and whilst they did sell a few items that one would call a "considered purchase", it was mainly bits and bobs, and I reckon they made a fair bit of revenue from die hard shopping channel addicts who regularly bought cheap and easy little bits (despite the extra charges). Most of IW's products, the ones that go to air that is, are costly and not the sort of thing you'd buy on impulse....Pressure Washers, Halogen Ovens, Vibrapower, radiators, top of the range blenders, all I can say is that they need far fewer customers as each item costs so flaming much. Still don't get it though as I'm sure you can get the stuff cheaper elsewhere and with little or no p&p!

The reason they have so few products is pretty simple and also pretty stupid. They insist on making a 50% margin on everything they sell. A rather restricting policy to say the least. There's very few (As you've noticed) products that allow for that sort of margin- Add to that their payment terms of around 90 days and more caveats than you could imagine and you start to realise why brands won't/can't sell via IW.

Common sense would suggest they reduce their margin to be more competitive, but their reduced audience means they have to make big money on their limited sales.

The final nail in their coffin is that they made the mistake of hiring a number of the buyers from BID TV. And as you have probably noticed not the good ones !

Unfortunately the more brands they lose, the more tarnished their reputation becomes. The real problems would come if Apple removed their permission to sell their products, or Bissell/TomTom stopped trading with them. I can see that day coming, particularly Apple at whom I am constantly surprised that they willingly do business with such a low-rent channel.
Incidentally, I noticed that Alan Ennis is has now jumped ship. Do you think he did this because being associated with IW these days wasn't doing his career a lot of good?

Last edited:
Come on Ideal World, don't let us down, you must have literally loads of Winter stock in the warehouse, and absolutely everything must go to make way for loads of Spring and Summer stock. Please plaster the top and bottom of the screen with hazard tape, cover the set with dust sheets, make the presenters go on air all casual looking in jeans and ripped un-ironed shirts, give them clip boards with the price lists and then give it all that wow, I knew we were going low but.... come closer.... even closer, listen, I can't say this unless it's the truth and I only ever say the truth..... you're getting this for less than we paid for it. Buy it, just buy it! And then, just when we thought you couldn't go any lower, pull the price off the screen, blast the speakers with a weird siren noise and then completely over exaggerate.... WOW! Bob, that price cannot be right, hang on, stop the music, stop everything. Bob, are you sure you have got that right? Well the gallery say they've made a mistake, but we've got to honour it now we have displayed that price. Well done if you managed to get one of those at 'ome. And do you know what, even if you didn't manage to get one this time, tune back in again in about 4 hours when not only will we repeat that entire performance, but just to piss off the regular viewer and shopper, we'll do it even cheaper, but just between you and me, the P&P will be dearer in that auction so the price will be the same any way!!!!

Come on Ideal World. Entertain us!

The end isn't near for Ideal just yet, but keep a close eye out for those worry angels just in case.

Since Ideal World took on Mike "fake shock and surprise" Mason, and double entendre Peter Simon, its gone down hill fast. You can tell with its ten pound off and special promotions, why its trying to copy the defunct Bid Tv is anyones guess. Flicked over yesterday and seen Peter Simon selling Moisinite, I say selling but for the ten minutes I watched all it was was "ooooh aahhh, look just look at it" "oh ladies look, a vision of light, oh its, oh just look ladies just buy it" "just buy it, oooh just look at the light, its singing, its dancing, its talking to me, just buy".............. sorry, did I say selling?

I get the impression the only people that will benefit will be the individuals who are nameless, that ruined bid tv from above (at no personal expense to themselves i'd imagine) and have simply moved on to IW, with the same bullshit formulas creeping in, to make a quick quid and sod off when it inevitably fails again.

I get the impression the only people that will benefit will be the individuals who are nameless, that ruined bid tv from above (at no personal expense to themselves i'd imagine) and have simply moved on to IW, with the same bullshit formulas creeping in, to make a quick quid and sod off when it inevitably fails again.

Exactly: come in quick, rinse it and get out before the inquiry. As per.

Exactly: come in quick, rinse it and get out before the inquiry. As per.

Really as much as we all sit here and say peter simon is a shyster or an alien lifeform etc... the reality is that there are people who put him in a position and encourage him to do what he does. Yet as bid proved... they will never get caught, they just move on to the next shopping channel.

Since Ideal World took on Mike "fake shock and surprise" Mason, and double entendre Peter Simon, its gone down hill fast. You can tell with its ten pound off and special promotions, why its trying to copy the defunct Bid Tv is anyones guess. Flicked over yesterday and seen Peter Simon selling Moisinite, I say selling but for the ten minutes I watched all it was was "ooooh aahhh, look just look at it" "oh ladies look, a vision of light, oh its, oh just look ladies just buy it" "just buy it, oooh just look at the light, its singing, its dancing, its talking to me, just buy".............. sorry, did I say selling?

Does anybody else think that Mikey Mason has toned down his act since being on IW. Maybe I just don't watch him much but when I see him he comes over as less aggressive. It could just be that he doesn't have a female sidekick like on Bid that he can humiliate. When I have seen him he often has an "expert" to explain the product, and he appears full of respect and reverence.

IW disappearing from our screens? Nooooooooooooooooooo! We can't live without Karcher, exercise bikes, recycled computers, Kinkade and Our Bet (not only Our Bet, not only Kinkade, not only.........Nurse, injection, quick!) Although I do believe that Peter Simon will move on to something more befitting his talents...just can't think of anything at present..............., although maybe News at Ten might need a new presenter?

Really as much as we all sit here and say peter simon is a shyster or an alien lifeform etc... the reality is that there are people who put him in a position and encourage him to do what he does. Yet as bid proved... they will never get caught, they just move on to the next shopping channel.

Never watched bid but surely to god he could not be worse than he is now.

Ahem (cough), Mossie 269 - have you never gone to you tube and looked at the not only famous swearing, and not only the fabulous snot bubble? I think he is getting worse, I had IW on yesterday in the background and he was hyper beyond belief! The cook / chef he had with him couldn't get a word in by being over talked all the time. There are now 2 presenters I turn off as soon as they start, and PS may become the third very soon. :mysmilie_11:

Never watched bid but surely to god he could not be worse than he is now.

Sadly he was. He used to be very aggressive, he would tear his paper off his clipboard and bat it directly at the camera staff. He would be rude to his female sidekick and if she dare answer him with a funny insult he would say nastily "all right darling, calm down, hormones playing you up?". He always had to be superior to women, and never acts like that with men.

Muttley, what I can't understand is how someone hasn't decked him off-screen (or on!). The guests who are actually trying to promote something are fighting a losing battle, because he has 2 styles of presenting: either the in-yer-face belligerent, sexist, 1970's "comedy" act, or the poor imitation of an archbishop indulging in a spot of fake piety and sermon-giving. Sometimes there's a combination of the 2 styles, all in one hour (a treat not to be missed). Don't mock the afflicted springs to mind, but how the guests don't create their own version of an upside-down fruitcake I'll never know.
Sadly he was. He used to be very aggressive, he would tear his paper off his clipboard and bat it directly at the camera staff. He would be rude to his female sidekick and if she dare answer him with a funny insult he would say nastily "all right darling, calm down, hormones playing you up?". He always had to be superior to women, and never acts like that with men.

Muttley, what I can't understand is how someone hasn't decked him off-screen (or on!). The guests who are actually trying to promote something are fighting a losing battle, because he has 2 styles of presenting: either the in-yer-face belligerent, sexist, 1970's "comedy" act, or the poor imitation of an archbishop indulging in a spot of fake piety and sermon-giving. Sometimes there's a combination of the 2 styles, all in one hour (a treat not to be missed). Don't mock the afflicted springs to mind, but how the guests don't create their own version of an upside-down fruitcake I'll never know.

Maybe he has a minder/bodyguard.......I feel like decking him all the time :giggle:

I've never seen him do both styles in one show, I'll have to watch more often but I may check my blood pressure before just in case!

He's still a horrible barrow boy! Still can't my head around IW picking him from all the other presenters they could have had after the collapse of bid tv! Aggressive and unpleasant yuk!

Latest posts

Back