Advanced orders from the "get-go"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I dislike the term "get-go" but couldn't think of anything else.

When I ordered this item as a TSV - - - - -

- - - - it said it was on advanced order and would be despatched in about 2 weeks.

I accepted this, as I thought it was sold out and I was lucky to get it on AO.

But later I found out had been AO since the launch.

So in effect, I inadvertently ordered something which would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive (2 weeks before despatch plus the usual 3 to 5 working days to arrive).

I will certainly keep my eyes open for this "scam" in future.

BTW Something I ordered at the same time elsewhere with FREE PP arrived the NEXT DAY :)

What a shambles!

QVC started doing this a few years back. Suddenly products appearing on Advanced Orders. I remember a thread on here about it, QVC only then having to order exactly the amount they need and not having stuff lying in the warehouse for months or years unsold. They get the money upfront and costs them nothing then getting the products for the orders needed.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, so you're actually saying that the tsv was actually completely sold out from the minute it went to air? I didn't see a pre-launch, did I miss it? Or was it that they put out a tsv before actually ordering any stock to sell to anyone..both scenarios are bad. From what I've seen TSV's are getting ridiculous, I've often said that the SV part doesn't represent special value anymore, it now seems that the word Today's is questionable. I wouldn't even call it a shambles, as to me this implies that some kind of effort has been put in but it's all gone wrong. This is deliberate manipulation!

I hate that thing they do when a TSV is selling well early on and they say “Get in quick because we don’t know if we’ll be able to get any Advance Orders and once it’s gone, it’s gone”. Then, miraculously, a few hours later, they sell out and suddenly they put their hand to their ear-piece as if they’re just getting the news hot off the press, and say “Our buyers have been working hard and have managed to secure a small batch to be sent out on the 30th”. Yeah, of course.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, so you're actually saying that the tsv was actually completely sold out from the minute it went to air? I didn't see a pre-launch, did I miss it? Or was it that they put out a tsv before actually ordering any stock to sell to anyone..both scenarios are bad. From what I've seen TSV's are getting ridiculous, I've often said that the SV part doesn't represent special value anymore, it now seems that the word Today's is questionable. I wouldn't even call it a shambles, as to me this implies that some kind of effort has been put in but it's all gone wrong. This is deliberate manipulation!
No it wasn't sold out from start. It was on Advanced Order from the start.

Sorry to be so stupid but they do a tsv and you could be waiting almost a month to receive your goods? That's bad enough in normal circumstances but totally unacceptable in the run up to Christmas, especially when something is being marketed as a stocking filller. Disgraceful practice!

I dislike the term "get-go" but couldn't think of anything else.

When I ordered this item as a TSV - - - - -

- - - - it said it was on advanced order and would be despatched in about 2 weeks.

I accepted this, as I thought it was sold out and I was lucky to get it on AO.

But later I found out had been AO since the launch.

So in effect, I inadvertently ordered something which would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive (2 weeks before despatch plus the usual 3 to 5 working days to arrive).

I will certainly keep my eyes open for this "scam" in future.

BTW Something I ordered at the same time elsewhere with FREE PP arrived the NEXT DAY :)

What a shambles!
It also annoys me that you have to pay enough for postage and if it's coming by Royal Mail you don't even get a tracking number provided and yet if I order from most other companies I can follow the process from being packed being sent out and when it's likely to arrive and frequently P&P is free

Sorry to be so stupid but they do a tsv and you could be waiting almost a month to receive your goods? That's bad enough in normal circumstances but totally unacceptable in the run up to Christmas, especially when something is being marketed as a stocking filller. Disgraceful practice!

That's why I started this thread.

I first saw it in preview the day before about 9-45pm (on-line, not live) and as it was on AO I naturally assumed it had sold out, so I ordered quickly before the AOs also sold out, almost in a panic after finding it was a good price compared with elsewhere.

Then someone on the forum told me it hadn't sold out at all, but it was on AO from the get-go (sorry AndiK).

I was very annoyed because I'd rushed into it, and would then have to wait up to a month to get it.

It is sharp practice IMO, almost a scam. And they still charge full PP.

Imagine going onto another website to order a pen, and they said the PP would be £3-95 but they wouldn't even bother to get it out of the warehouse for 2 weeks, then it would take up to 9 days to arrive (real days, that is, not "working days" as Q always say to make it seem shorter than it really is). You just wouldn't order it, would you?

Last edited:
They’ve started advertising on Heart radio so maybe things aren’t quite as rosy as they make out. Obviously it’s a positive advert because they don’t mention all the pitfalls that can occur when you order from them.

They’ve started advertising on Heart radio so maybe things aren’t quite as rosy as they make out. Obviously it’s a positive advert because they don’t mention all the pitfalls that can occur when you order from them.
I heard a QVC ad on the radio last night, too. It wasn’t Heart or another Global station though.

I also seem to be getting many, many more emails from Q every day now. Apart from order and despatch emails, it used to be the TSV email only (not even every day).

I wouldn't mind ordering something and having to wait if I didn't need it urgently or before a specified time ie Christmas or birthday - but certainly would be annoyed if tricked into buying something because I was led to believe it was selling fast, or sold out and that there's a limited amount available to be delivered at a later date but have to hurry. If QVC are offering something they call a TSV it should be offered for one day only and posted out to the customer within a few days, and if after they've sold out, they're able to offer the customer the item on advance order at the same price -that's fine. They shouldn't do pre launches where the stock can diminish before the day nor should they offer goods for sale on advanced orders without having any stock that's ready to go immediately. This practice would only be acceptable if the item was so heavily reduced that it would "be rude not to" but most of their offers are pretty lame and quite frankly an insult. Sharp practice indeed and it stinks!

It also annoys me that you have to pay enough for postage and if it's coming by Royal Mail you don't even get a tracking number provided and yet if I order from most other companies I can follow the process from being packed being sent out and when it's likely to arrive and frequently P&P is free
Yes it amazes me that I know nothing about QVC mail deliveries, but other places I get texts and emails from RM telling me the delivery window! I know that must be because they are picking the cheapest option (no surprise) but most companies used Tracked48 or whatever.
From the get-go. Sorry, couldn’t resist 😂😂😂. I don’t mind it as a phrase though, and have been known to use it.

Yes it amazes me that I know nothing about QVC mail deliveries, but other places I get texts and emails from RM telling me the delivery window! I know that must be because they are picking the cheapest option (no surprise) but most companies used Tracked48 or whatever.
From the get-go. Sorry, couldn’t resist 😂😂😂. I don’t mind it as a phrase though, and have been known to use it.
I order from places like allbeauty, feelunique etc with free shipping 48 hours tracked, I get an email from RM telling they have a parcel and will deliver on whatever day between x and y time.

Going off at a tangent here but anyone who's watched Dave Gorman's brilliant show Modern Life is Goodish will be saying "From the Gecko"!

Having the TSV on advance orders, with zero stock could either be slower production due to Covid, or Q want orders in the bank before they part with any cash to secure the stock.
To be fair, it's not a frequent occurrence...but they should be a lot clearer about it up front.

Or it could be the supplier needs orders before their suppliers will release the materials to make the product.

Latest posts

Back