AK writing/written a book now!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If she feels her book might help others then fair enough although I agree some people prefer to deal with things themselves. However I dont see the point of asking for feedback from QVC viewers. So many of them just seem to think anything and anyone linked to QVC is wonderful and would never give any negative opinions.

She’s probably asking for feedback as a way of publicising her book, letting people know she’s going to write one which is a lot cheaper I suppose than paying for her own publicity, especially when she can get it for free. I feel like she’s trying to cash in, I really do. There are plenty of good self help books out there, but none with as big a customer base as QVC, which will of course guarantee her more sales, just ask Debbie Flint about her diet books.

I could never take anything AK says seriously when as an ex cancer sufferer she still bakes herself to a crisp and is probably going against other medical advice too. I`d feel her book would be more a case of do as I say not as I do and somewhat hypocritical.

People haven't read the book yet! It's a good thing to be cynical. I hold those thoughts too, however I'd like to read this book before commenting on it. AK comes across as someone who projects a calm, classy image. Like anyone she probably has her battles and issues to deal with. What do people expect her to do? Go round in a burka for the rest of her life? Lot's of people do things they know contain an element of risk. They sleep around, smoke, drink, or in my case, fly aeroplanes. We don't know what AK is telling us in the book if we haven't read it!

In my view the best stories are lived and experienced, not imagined, so AK's book is likely already a cut above Debs's "lit" offerings.

Julius, no one is commenting about a book that hasn’t been written yet, we’re commenting on the subject matter of the book, if that’s what she’s writing about.

I could never take anything AK says seriously when as an ex cancer sufferer she still bakes herself to a crisp and is probably going against other medical advice too. I`d feel her book would be more a case of do as I say not as I do and somewhat hypocritical.

I couldn’t agree more Vienna, she dodged one bullet but is putting herself in the line of fire again, how can you possibly take her seriously, she’s certainly not sensible that’s for sure.

Oh no, my heart honestly goes out to you T, I can not think of anything in this world worse than losing a child, I’m so very sorry for you, sending you a massive virtual hug xx

Thank you, Lovely. It will be 35 years this month & the memories are still crystal clear, even the weather has been the same on that date every year as it was that night. The only way we came to terms with not knowing him was that life for him would have been extremely difficult & that Mother Nature knew best. I think about him more than I speak about him & I always say that I had three children.

The way she mentioned it really surprised me, almost bouncy & as though she was announcing a blog competition. My first comment on this thread was to support her, knowing that her book was about something that had affected her & not just a pot boiler. I then went all contradictory by writing about a book I recommended to others but also agreeing that some of us prefer to deal with our situations our own way.

Thank you, Lovely. It will be 35 years this month & the memories are still crystal clear, even the weather has been the same on that date every year as it was that night. The only way we came to terms with not knowing him was that life for him would have been extremely difficult & that Mother Nature knew best. I think about him more than I speak about him & I always say that I had three children.

I'm sorry for your loss, Twilight.

I can understand what you mean about the weather conditions serving as a reminder. Personally I find the run-up to Christmas very difficult as it reminds me of a loss I experienced. Everything at that time just seems to take on a horrible emptiness and a bleakness that even after many years I find very difficult to bear. It's made all the worse by people saying things like: "What are you going to DO for Christmas?" and "Are you going to spend Christmas with your family?" Sometimes I just feel like being brutally honest and saying: "Why should I have to do anything?" or: "No, they're all dead," but I know this would be incredibly rude, so I deal with it by saying, "Oh I expect I'll have a quiet Christmas and do a bit of reading, how about you?" and hope that they won't ask me any more questions.

I can't stand the tacky tinsel, the awful adverts with sleighbell sounds, the horrible records etc. It's a time for many when solitude turns to loneliness, like this cork of gloom that's firmly held underwater for most of the year somehow just pops up to the surface. Recent years have been OK. There's been a calmness there and it's been bearable. Seems the only highlight of most days is when a wild squirrel comes on my window sill, but he's such a lovely creature. I went to Ealing to buy a winter coat today and I noticed how thin the sunlight felt.

It could be 35 seconds but still feel the same, life can be cruel can't it. You did have three children, that will never change. I'm sorry T, the memories must be so painful......hugs xx

I agree, but does she really need to charge people money for it. Especially when it’s a frightening, debilitating time and people will need all the money they can get their hands on.

I can see your point, but I think she is so brave to be able to talk about it so open. I had a mastectomy in august 2017 and can't seem to discuss how or what I feel with anyone. I
didn't have to have chemotherapy, just have to take one tablet every day for five years and have a review every twelve months.We all deal with things in our own way

I can see your point, but I think she is so brave to be able to talk about it so open. I had a mastectomy in august 2017 and can't seem to discuss how or what I feel with anyone. I
didn't have to have chemotherapy, just have to take one tablet every day for five years and have a review every twelve months.We all deal with things in our own way

I wish you all the best, Kathy. You may not be able to talk about what you've experienced but the fact that you had to have a major operation & a life changing event shows your bravery.

I’ll bet it’s a novel. How can people critique a person’s medical journey.[/http://ali-k-productions.com/book.htmlw
This is from her website

Sorry link doesn't seem to work. On her blog there's a link to her website and it says the book is about her illness. Agree with your question how can anyone critique this.

People haven't read the book yet! It's a good thing to be cynical. I hold those thoughts too, however I'd like to read this book before commenting on it. AK comes across as someone who projects a calm, classy image. Like anyone she probably has her battles and issues to deal with. What do people expect her to do? Go round in a burka for the rest of her life? Lot's of people do things they know contain an element of risk. They sleep around, smoke, drink, or in my case, fly aeroplanes. We don't know what AK is telling us in the book if we haven't read it!

In my view the best stories are lived and experienced, not imagined, so AK's book is likely already a cut above Debs's "lit" offerings.

so AK's book is likely already a cut above Debs's "lit" offerings.[/QUOTE]

Well that wouldn't be hard now would it!

I couldn’t agree more Vienna, she dodged one bullet but is putting herself in the line of fire again, how can you possibly take her seriously, she’s certainly not sensible that’s for sure.

I hear what both of you are saying here, but I'm kind of thinking "Her life, her rules?", & I suspect that may be what she thinks too......

I think Alison has been very brave and has a good way of looking forward with her life. getting married again and moving on. good on her.......wont be buying her book though!

"I can understand what you mean about the weather conditions serving as a reminder. Personally I find the run-up to Christmas very difficult as it reminds me of a loss I experienced. Everything at that time just seems to take on a horrible emptiness and a bleakness that even after many years I find very difficult to bear. It's made all the worse by people saying things like: "What are you going to DO for Christmas?" and "Are you going to spend Christmas with your family?" Sometimes I just feel like being brutally honest and saying: "Why should I have to do anything?" or: "No, they're all dead," but I know this would be incredibly rude, so I deal with it by saying, "Oh I expect I'll have a quiet Christmas and do a bit of reading, how about you?" and hope that they won't ask me any more questions.

I can't stand the tacky tinsel, the awful adverts with sleighbell sounds, the horrible records etc. It's a time for many when solitude turns to loneliness, like this cork of gloom that's firmly held underwater for most of the year somehow just pops up to the surface. Recent years have been OK. There's been a calmness there and it's been bearable. Seems the only highlight of most days is when a wild squirrel comes on my window sill, but he's such a lovely creature. I went to Ealing to buy a winter coat today and I noticed how thin the sunlight felt."

I'm sorry that Christmas can be hard for you, J. You'd always be welcome at my table( We aren't in London, sorry.) It might not be the most exciting of times, but the food would be edible, & the welcome warm.
One year, around 2006/7, I knew Christmas was going to be an ordeal for me with my (now) ex; we were in London at the time. I volunteered on Xmas day, & then for some night shifts & also some days over the week during Xmas & up to New Year. This was at the Crisis open Christmas (for homeless) It was one of the best things I ever did....Why not have a look? Locations all over ldn, offering shelter, meals, entertainment & skills/advice etc for those without a home. No special skills required - except compassion & non judgement, but if you have a skill/talent, all the better!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back