Amaaaaazing. Y'know. Amaaaaazing. Y'know.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Many of the guests and presenters went to stage school. I thought (silly me) they taught people how to speak properly there. I don't expect, or want, people to speak with a plum in their mouths. The old rigid-jawed received pronunciation is dreadful to listen to in this day and age... but surely speaking properly gives the most people the chance of understanding what you are saying? That doesn't mean completely dropping a regional accent, but just use proper words and don't drop letters left, right and centre.

I work in an environment where although everyone speaks and writes English, not everyone speaks it as a first language. Imagine how difficult it is to understand people who speak sloppily, or write sloppily? Most people who learn English as a foreign language learn it from people who do speak properly.

Surely, as a company who want to sell to all and sundry, Q would care that people could understand and then buy rather than try to understand and give up?

The more we listen to certain people, and particularly when we hear them speaking about the same topics repeatedly, the more their "tics" are highlighted.

If Ali K would just slow down with the machine-gun delivery, she is probably the best. She tends to use a better vocabulary, and doesn't do either vocal fry or up-speak. Nor does she do glottal stops, miss out "g" at the end of words, or substitute "f" for "th".

Charlie is the opposite of Ali K (he needs to speed it up a bit) but he speaks very well too.

The Sky Political Editor is Beth Rigby, if it is who I'm thinking of. Dark bob and red lipstick? If so, that is the right name.

If the posts on Arsebook are anything to go by (most seem to be semi illiterate) the uneducated/sloppy presenters are exactly what is required it’s just we here have much higher standards.

Yes, May. Beth Rigby. I quite like her reportin, and analysin, but not the word finishin.

I am a regular watcher of the Press Review on Sky News and there is one particular reviewer who drives me to shouting at the tv! She is obviously a very intelligent lady, given her job title, but her way of speaking is so lazy, dropping the ends of words with bad pronunciation and the continual yeahs. I have often thought she needs to listen to herself talking but unfortunately she is just one of many.

Don't know if it is the same one you are talking about Yesilkedi, but there used to be a woman on the papers show on Sky who kept saying 'you know' all the time, several times in a sentence. She drove me potty. I didn't like her either which didn't help. Can't remember her name - she no longer, you know, appears now, you know. You know, I say thank goodness for that, you know.

Yes, May. Beth Rigby. I quite like her reportin, and analysin, but not the word finishin.

Want to do the rolling laughing head here, but system won't let me, so Mazza you will have to imagine it!

After a morning of exertions (getting up being the biggest challenge !) - walking the dog and daily visit to the Co-op, I tend to enjoy certain afternoon programmes. One being A Place in the Sun on Ch4. Most of the presenters are bearable - Jasmine Harman being the most warm with the clients, and Jonnie Irwin knows what he's on.

The presenter who fills me with dread is the tall statuesque blonde Danni Menzies, as literally every other word she utters is 'guys' regardless of the gender or age of her clients. It becomes an irrational irritation and I almost wait for the next 'guys' when she speaks. I was so incensed a few months ago, I wrote to her website and Channel 4 bitterly complaining about her use of this term. (how sad am I ?) but being a long retired estate agent I find it totally unprofessional to refer to potential clients in this manner, particularly those of a certain age.

Sorry I've ranted on something other than a QVC related issue, but my spleen has now been vented !

After a morning of exertions (getting up being the biggest challenge !) - walking the dog and daily visit to the Co-op, I tend to enjoy certain afternoon programmes. One being A Place in the Sun on Ch4. Most of the presenters are bearable - Jasmine Harman being the most warm with the clients, and Jonnie Irwin knows what he's on.

The presenter who fills me with dread is the tall statuesque blonde Danni Menzies, as literally every other word she utters is 'guys' regardless of the gender or age of her clients. It becomes an irrational irritation and I almost wait for the next 'guys' when she speaks. I was so incensed a few months ago, I wrote to her website and Channel 4 bitterly complaining about her use of this term. (how sad am I ?) but being a long retired estate agent I find it totally unprofessional to refer to potential clients in this manner, particularly those of a certain age.

Sorry I've ranted on something other than a QVC related issue, but my spleen has now been vented !

Did you see Jasmin’s recent wedding photos she was lovely.

Latest posts

Back