Anne Dawson

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know who your talking about Benny Hinn is the biggest con artist going.
Lynn

Julius said 'Joyce', I think he means Joyce Meyers. She has shows on God tv and of course she offers you an opportunity to buy her books, dvds etc. at the end of the show because she is an author and some of her publications, like 'Battlefield of the Mind' are a great read and have been a help to many people.

Its odd why these people are so criticized if they are wealthy, do they want to see them in sackcloth shouting woeest me! Not a good advert for their faith.

I don't think Benny Hinn is a con artist, what makes you think he is out of interest?

Lynn I don't want to see them destitute but it does smack of insincerity when they are living in huge lavish mansions with umpteen cars whilst peddling their religion. I;m sure if they were that sincere about religion they would forgego a good part of their money, live in a little flat or house and put the money towards a worthwhile cause.
Julius said 'Joyce', I think he means Joyce Meyers. She has shows on God tv and of course she offers you an opportunity to buy her books, dvds etc. at the end of the show because she is an author and some of her publications, like 'Battlefield of the Mind' are a great read and have been a help to many people.

Its odd why these people are so criticized if they are wealthy, do they want to see them in sackcloth shouting woeest me! Not a good advert for their faith.

I don't think Benny Hinn is a con artist, what makes you think he is out of interest?

I know Julius was talking about Joyce Meyors,she is in the same league as Benny Hinn to me praying on people's weakness and profiting from it.
Lynn

I thought the glasses were to make her appear more serious on her Revelation gig but she's wearing them on Q as well. She was doing a live show on Revelation at 5.00 pm talking to someone who runs a centre for prostitutes, addicts and people prone to self-harm and was on Q at 6.00 pm, in a different outfit, flogging handbags or something like that. They must broadcast from the same studios.

Interesting! I wonder why such centres exist? Prostitutes, addicts - let them die! Let them get on with it! Save the money and give it to the elderly who struggle to eat / heat their homes. As for the addicts - they are weak spongers! When I was homeless nobody helped me, I took charge of my own life.

i agree about money and religion...there are lots of vunerable people who do find kindness and help from religions but there seems to be an awful lot that prey on the vunerable ...and they drive around in big cars ..wear fitted suits and live lavish lives...i think Phil collins song sums it all up for me ..Jesus he loves me ..i think its called ....its the extreme side of religion....its wrong imho....put your money wear your mouth is ...(dont get me wrong ..ive turned to pray many a time )and i find it helps but i cannot watch these people preach etc and then live it up on other peoples fears and judgments.

Thank you. I didn't mean to sound too vitriolic but I just get angry when I hear of centres supporting alcoholics and drug addicts. When my mother died the mortgage company (Abbey National as they were at the time) repossessed our flat and threw me out. I had to take the life insurance company to court as they tried to avoid paying out on a a technicality. In court their solicitor tried to belittle me for being of "no fixed abode" I spent most of my days in the library researching points of law and represented myself to the best of my ability. Not only did I win my case against the insurance company, I also got £22,000 from Abbey National in an out of court settlement. I just didn't have the energy to sue them too, but they knew they were in the wrong. With this I managed to buy a small flat in Eastbourne. To me it was like a little palace. I loved it so much. I remember using a storage heater for the first time and thinking how amazing it was. Nothing ever truly compensated me for being on the streets for 10 months, or for losing my family. It was the most horrendous time, but I got through it, I suppose with the library for help. Libraries are the most amazing places.
Sorry to hear you were once homeless Julius.
Lynn

Interesting! I wonder why such centres exist? Prostitutes, addicts - let them die! Let them get on with it! Save the money and give it to the elderly who struggle to eat / heat their homes. As for the addicts - they are weak spongers! When I was homeless nobody helped me, I took charge of my own life.

How I love the warmth and friendliness from some of the members here... it gives me a warm feeling inside knowing that such caring people exist... :wonder:

I went to a homeless shelter when I was homeless. It was the most degrading thing, so I refused to stay there. The guy at reception made me breathe over him "as they had a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol." They then made me sit in a hallway for 3 hours whilst filthy vagrants kept shouting and throwing up in the corridor which had a warped blule lino on the floor that was stained brown and faded by the sunlight. I remember feeling my back sliding against the pale green wall as I sat on the lino floor, wondering where my life had got to. After 3 hours I went back to the reception to have the bloke there say: "Oh you're still here then!" He they showed me into a room, around the perimeter of which were placed cheap metal folding beds with no mattress, just a thick green canvas. The beds were placed head to toe so that the person's feet in the bed behind touched the head of the person in front. The room smelled of sweat, sick, urine, tobacco and disinfectant. I told them: "I may not have a home but I still have my dignity," and I left. I spent that night in the stairwell in a tower block. I am a proud person and couldn't have stood that hostel. it was stomach-churning hellhole full of the lowest of the low.
How I love the warmth and friendliness from some of the members here... it gives me a warm feeling inside knowing that such caring people exist... :wonder:

I went to a homeless shelter when I was homeless. It was the most degrading thing, so I refused to stay there. The guy at reception made me breathe over him "as they had a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol." They then made me sit in a hallway for 3 hours whilst filthy vagrants kept shouting and throwing up in the corridor which had a warped blule lino on the floor that was stained brown and faded by the sunlight. I remember feeling my back sliding against the pale green wall as I sat on the lino floor, wondering where my life had got to. After 3 hours I went back to the reception to have the bloke there say: "Oh you're still here then!" He they showed me into a room, around the perimeter of which were placed cheap metal folding beds with no mattress, just a thick green canvas. The beds were placed head to toe so that the person's feet in the bed behind touched the head of the person in front. The room smelled of sweat, sick, urine, tobacco and disinfectant. I told them: "I may not have a home but I still have my dignity," and I left. I spent that night in the stairwell in a tower block. I am a proud person and couldn't have stood that hostel. it was stomach-churning hellhole full of the lowest of the low.

I'm sorry you experienced that....

However, those conditions are there because that is the life that some people face... some people do fall onto hard times or into bad ways. Addiction is a terrifying thing that sucks people into doing things they would never normally do.

But none of that has anything to do with Ann and her choice of jobs... so what if she believes in God and wants to share that?

There are worse things she could be doing.

Why shouldn't I be cynical? Something seems decidedly at odds with old haggis face presenting on a religious show and then doing QVC! Why shouldn't I be able to say so?![/

Of course you're able to say so! Just expressing surprise at how contentious Ann Dawson's career choices seem to be.

Well I remember those people at that shelter. I remember thinking I didn't belong there. I would sooner have died in the street than stayed there. In my view the vagrants there were not worthy of anything. Give the money to the elderly - they are generally more deserving, not a load of people filling themselves with addictive substances.

Well I remember those people at that shelter. I remember thinking I didn't belong there. I would sooner have died in the street than stayed there. In my view the vagrants there were not worthy of anything. Give the money to the elderly - they are generally more deserving, not a load of people filling themselves with addictive substances.
I, too, am very sorry to read about the rough time you had. It sounds like you somehow found the strength to get through it and out the other side by your own willpower. Sadly many do not have that strength, so thank goodness that there are places willing to help them. They may not be luxurious, and certainly not a place of first choice, but when people have nowhere else to go, and no-one to turn to, they provide shelter and help. When I see people who are addicts, or who I suppose you could argue have contributed in some way to their situation, I'm always reminded how very lucky I am in comparison.

Yes, I suppose that's a good way of looking at it. Maybe I'm not always a very compassionate person. It just upsets me to think of an elderly person struggling to make ends meet. Why not give them the money? Let the addicts die! Maybe I am harsh, but I think we could halve our social welfare costs by saying find a job within 6 months or you're on your own.
I, too, am very sorry to read about the rough time you had. It sounds like you somehow found the strength to get through it and out the other side by your own willpower. Sadly many do not have that strength, so thank goodness that there are places willing to help them. They may not be luxurious, and certainly not a place of first choice, but when people have nowhere else to go, and no-one to turn to, they provide shelter and help. When I see people who are addicts, or who I suppose you could argue have contributed in some way to their situation, I'm always reminded how very lucky I am in comparison.

Last edited:
Yes, I suppose that's a good way of looking at it. Maybe I'm not always a very compassionate person. It just upsets me to think of an elderly person struggling to make ends meet. Why not give them the money? Let the addicts die! Maybe I am harsh, but I think we could halve our social welfare costs by saying find a job within 6 months or you're on your own.

That is what happens already!

Latest posts

Back