Are we taking bets...............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
on how long its takes Q to have in their Cooks Essential range, a.................. multi cook frying pan (aka Tom Daley) !!!! perhaps the TSV in a couple of months time ?

Another gadget that will sit at the back of everyone's cupboards until it either goes up in the loft or gets carted off to a charity shop.

I have stopped buying Kitchen gadgets, or dust collectors as I think of them.

I am really surprised they have never done one of those coffee pod machines. George Clooney does ads for them, hell QVC should be out selling them by the shed load. Or could it be the companies just do not want to sell on QVC?

They used to do an illy coffee machine and are currently doing a kitchensid one but these would be much more expensive than the pod ones.

I have just remembered the soup maker I had to buy last winter, which has now found it's true home at the back of a kitchen cupboard, I still seem to prefer making soup in a pan, will give it one more go and see if I like it, if not it's another trip to the charity shop for me, still holding onto my tomato knife/slicer that I bought years ago from Lakeland though

I have just remembered the soup maker I had to buy last winter, which has now found it's true home at the back of a kitchen cupboard, I still seem to prefer making soup in a pan, will give it one more go and see if I like it, if not it's another trip to the charity shop for me, still holding onto my tomato knife/slicer that I bought years ago from Lakeland though
It's true, the soup maker belongs in a cupboard. I bought one and found it no more quicker than making it on the job, as you still had to cut the veg up etc. so back into the darkest depths of the cupboard it went.
However! Call me lazy, but most supermarkets do packs of veg for a 'soup mix' which is basically a load of different veg cut up into lovely small chunks plus herbs/spices, and these are perfect for throwing into the soup maker when you're in a hurry. No messing around peeling, chopping, blending, it's wonderful. My soup maker has found a new lease of life.

I am really surprised they have never done one of those coffee pod machines. George Clooney does ads for them, hell QVC should be out selling them by the shed load. Or could it be the companies just do not want to sell on QVC?

I remember a few years ago they used to sell Italian coffee machines... Illy I think. That came with the "normal" ground coffee, I recall. Illy is actually super coffee.

I'm completely amazed these days that in premium locations (such as close to London's Piccadilly Circus) there are huge Nespresso shops...! I know George is the perfect frontman, but they must be making money hand over fist with the machines, and of course the pods, to afford high-rental retail locations.

I remember a few years ago they used to sell Italian coffee machines... Illy I think. That came with the "normal" ground coffee, I recall. Illy is actually super coffee.

I'm completely amazed these days that in premium locations (such as close to London's Piccadilly Circus) there are huge Nespresso shops...! I know George is the perfect frontman, but they must be making money hand over fist with the machines, and of course the pods, to afford high-rental retail locations.

OOPS!!! Just seen LATI's post....

I have my CE soup maker and just used it yesterday evening. I love it, and find it less faff than making soup in a saucepan.

Having seen the Tom Daley pic and read an article in the Mail where they tried it out, I am puzzled. It is supposed to cook at different speeds so you can bung it all in. But it looked to me as if the bacon was well done and the sausages looked almost untouched. Those awful white sausages would not tempt me to buy one, which is just as well as the last thing my waistline needs is full English breakfasts!

Over the years, I've been a real kitchen gadget junkie. About 85% of purchases have been relegated to the back of the cupboard, and subsequently to a car boot sale/charity shop or the electrical recycling point at our local tip. I resold my KitchenAid mixer to a friend - baking cakes etc was doing neither myself nor Mr Flamenco's waistlines any favours at all. The slow cooker went to the tip. You have to really love casseroles a lot to get optimum usage from it. We didn't.

I have since kept gadget acquisition to a minimum. These are the only ones we have and are used daily with the exception of the Bamix and Kenwood can opener:

1. Nespresso machine. Yes, its worth it. The coffee is the best we've ever had. Bought it from John Lewis almost a year ago. Totting up my online orders (excluding purchases from Nespresso boutiques), we've spent about £300 on Nespresso capsules this year (used ones are returned to Nespresso for recycling - return postage is free via Collect Plus from our local collection point). Neither of us smoke nor drink alcohol, so its our expensive pleasure.
2. Le Creuset toughened non-stick 30cm buffet casserole pan with lid. I use it daily and cook everything in it other than steaming veg in another Le Creuset enamel pot. It was very expensive at about £140 but its used daily and the non-stick has not deteriorated at all after 4 months of use. I've chucked no end of supposedly "non-stick" frying pans over the years - including Tefal, Cooks Essentials etc - many of which have started to deteriorate within a couple of months. Another John Lewis purchase and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
3. Bamix hand blender. I've had it for over 10 years, its still going strong and is used 3-4 times a week.
4. Kenwood electric can opener. Bought it new at a car boot sale for a couple of quid. Had it for 4 years and does what its does - opens cans!
5. NutriBullet - a recent acquisition. We've only had it a couple of months but all good so far. Teenage daughter uses it a lot, although there were a few mishaps at the beginning (leaks etc) whilst she got the hang of it.

That's it. I'm not taken in QVC's various own brand gadgets, or the need for them. The Tom Daley breakfast thingy is a gimmick - the compartments are too small to facilitate even cooking. And how often would it really be used? A fry-up maybe once a week, but not enough to justify purchase even if it was a very good.

Yep, totally agree with some of your above comments Flamenco; and SO true about slow cookers - only good for casseroles and who lives on those 12 months of the year ? I gave my Bamix away - I had a flour explosion in the kitchen when I tried to mix up a sponge with it. I bought the original Bullet when it first came out years ago, so I thought the Nutribullet was just a new marketing campaign for the original machine - used a lot at first, but now barely sees the light of day. A Jack Lallani juicer is still stuck in the garage. I too have a Nespresso - it was the George Clooney factor, and my KitchenAid is brilliant for meringues and baking that failed with the Bamix.

Totally agree about the Nespresso Machine,I've had mine for 4 years and it's the only coffee I drink.

Latest posts

Back