Beauty Bash January 2015

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I sold some of my unwanted items on eBay from beauty bash 2013, including the Gatineau raffle prize I won (I don't use Gatineau). I kept the bits I liked though. I sold the items for fair prices (no point in taking the preverbial p on eBay). I gave a donation to 2 charities later that year once it had all sold, and treated myself to something I wanted with the rest. Nothing wrong with doing that. Don't understand what the problem is for private sellers like me selling unwanted stuff on eBay even if it was free! I was quite open about where it had come from and buyers were quite happy to buy.

Any news on the Elemis TSVs?

I'm disappointed there will be no new TSv for Alpha H until August!

There are only two (or three?) TSVs per year anyway, but tbh, I also thought about one in March for the anniversary.

another rambling post...

Thanks for the post Preebs and you're right about earlier events giving lasting happy memories; LipstickCherry and I went a couple of times to the NYNY events which were held at The QE2 building. We were a pair of giddy kippers but still managed to chat with some of the Q beauty buyers about the usual bugbears: postage and price of beauty TSVs pushing almost £40 in some cases (sigh). The guests were fab, Daniel from Smashbox was genuinely helpful and interested, Angela Flanders (perfumer) was there in person rather than the company's PR or sales rep. All real characters passionate about their products, not all that eager to toe the QVC party line which was refreshing; it made them seem genuine and honest.
I missed out a couple of years (probably not spending enough) and then went to my first BB format last year with my daughter (then 17) and the whole thing seemed superficially slicker but less personal.
I now it does seem churlish to look a gift horse in the mouth, but £120 on rail tickets (plus lunch in London afterward) is a lot of money to me and a huge physical investment because it'll take me a fortnight to be walking pain-free (that sounds melodramatic but true). Yes it's a freebie, but we know QVC wouldn't do anything unless it had a knock on beneficial effect (££££) for them. At trade shows (a long time ago so may have changed) the brands gave out samples and freebies at their stalls because it creates goodwill, positive associations with that brand name, as well as tempting future sales by allowing new faces to try their range so I think QVC, by monopolising the handing out of the goody bags, are aiming to attract all the positive association to themselves rather than the brands. QVC know that they have to complete with hundreds of beauty websites offering special offers and free p&p so they schmooze new customers over rewarding old ones, aiming to maximise sales to these buyers in that heady honeymoon period before the novelty wears off and they start to shop around.

Going back to the brand "personalities" yesterday, it seemed that those fronting their own brands were confident enough to slip an extra sample to guests when the QVC goons weren't watching, whereas those employed as sales staff by other brands were sticking to the rules. By talking to the customer they can tailor the sample to their needs or skintype so maybe fewer bits would end up on ebay? And being told one minute to choose a freebie, then to be pulled up by another staff member for doing so was a bit like being treated as a shop-lifter! So all the goodwill and bonhomie built up during the morning was negated by being told to put down a sample with no retail value (and ml for ml value of about £3) and then finally the greatly reduced goody bag (including discontinued items) is yet another PR own goal by Q.

Leighton Denny, as always, was a hoot. Listening in to his chats while DD had her nails painted by one of his girls he was refreshingly honest and open and hilarious! He had on display each drop from his next auto-delivery TSV which includes fab new colours, four different bags and different treatments in each. He was also inviting written feedback (good and bad)or suugestions for future products or sets on little pieces of paper.

Highlights of my goody bag are the LE superskin neroli sample which I'd love to try (the plain one smelled fishy on me), Eve Lom cleanser will get used as will the small Cleanse & Polish. Sadly there's not much suitable for my DD's young skin and our bags were identical thsi year whereas last year we had a good share out of products; she got most of the make up items and I the anti-aging stuff.

If I get another invite, would I go? Not sure yet. I certainly wouldn't buy a ticket. QVC might be better inviting new people each year who don't remember the good old days.

If you want all these free samples why not pay a visit to somewhere like Selfridges and ask the assistant on every cosmetic counter,they are all usually obliging.

That's what I was saying, but my point was that the freebies at the NYNY events (predecessor to the BB) were often full retail sized (not big salon sizes).

I could spend a day in Brighton or Chichester trawling for free beauty samples without traipsing into London on a peak rate rail ticket.

Well as I mentioned I was sent a free invitation but no way was I spending a fortune on rail fares when I can get all the free samples I need from any large department store.

Akimbo
At trade shows (a long time ago so may have changed) the brands gave out samples and freebies at their stalls because it creates goodwill, positive associations with that brand name, as well as tempting future sales by allowing new faces to try their range so I think QVC, by monopolising the handing out of the goody bags, are aiming to attract all the positive association to themselves rather than the brands. QVC know that they have to complete with hundreds of beauty websites offering special offers and free p&p so they schmooze new customers over rewarding old ones, aiming to maximise sales to these buyers in that heady honeymoon period before the novelty wears off and they start to shop around.
Actually, some brands were referring customers to their own websites rather than QVC so I suppose it was a payback time and backfired on QVC for not allowing the brands to give themselves a good representation by being disallowed giving away samples.

Well as I mentioned I was sent a free invitation but no way was I spending a fortune on rail fares when I can get all the free samples I need from any large department store.

Lucky you Lynn I did'nt even get a Christmas card of them so they can get lost, no seriously I don't intend to buy much this year so I deffo won't get Invited and I think the p&p is getting to high so I tend to buy from other websites with free p&p.

Exactly! Their decision to prevent vendors giving out freebies is at best short-sighted! Also, speaking to the M.Asam couple I asked about their Magic Finish product which I'v bought from them before. It's very similar to the Flora Mare tinted moisturiser and Judith Williams Magic Make up but I prefer the M.Asam one because it has no fragrance. Anyhoo their range launches on Q in May (I think I remembered that correctly) but they aren't allowed to sell the Magic Finish because it's too similar to products they already sell which is a shame, particularly because they created the product which other German brands have copied. Such a shame, but fortunately I did stock up when I heard they were leaving IW.

The Flora Mare guy's skin is amazing, a really good advert for his products and I think he said there'll be a TSV in March (again sorry if I've got that wrong).

qvc seriously need to address postage costs. to get 4 drops of the yankee tsv yesterday was £24. one of the other websites had £3.95 postage and free if you spent £40/50. these are small businesses who i would have thought are less able. it was a poor show that qvc only managed to sell 5,500 yankee tsv's. it looks like they would rather sell less for more profit. bad business imo

I have no doubt that people are afraid of not being able to return a heavy box due to P&P costs, some people are not aware of Hermes return service and use RM like when people were returning EMU boots they paid £11, shudders. Like I didn't return SBC TSV when it had 3 x 500 ml bottles and 1 x 1000 ml bottle and had to give it all away one by one as it didn't suit me.

Exactly! Their decision to prevent vendors giving out freebies is at best short-sighted! Also, speaking to the M.Asam couple I asked about their Magic Finish product which I'v bought from them before. It's very similar to the Flora Mare tinted moisturiser and Judith Williams Magic Make up but I prefer the M.Asam one because it has no fragrance. Anyhoo their range launches on Q in May (I think I remembered that correctly) but they aren't allowed to sell the Magic Finish because it's too similar to products they already sell which is a shame, particularly because they created the product which other German brands have copied. Such a shame, but fortunately I did stock up when I heard they were leaving IW.

The Flora Mare guy's skin is amazing, a really good advert for his products and I think he said there'll be a TSV in March (again sorry if I've got that wrong).

I was wondering when M Asam were coming to Q,that's ridiculous that they aren't selling the Magic Finish,I bought mine in America ,really like the moisturiser as well.

Saw Catherine who looks painfully thin, DD asked me if she'd been ill! Fleetingly spotted Will. Chatted with Pipa. And Ali Young was holding court!

Well that's ridiculous.
You've only got to look at how many Balm Cleansers they sell now.

Elemis
Emma Hardie
Rodial
Merumaya

And they've definitely stocked others in the past as well.

And it's not just beauty either, every other week we seem to have either a Tablet or a Vacuum cleaner TSV.

What about Richard Wards Blatant copy of the Tangle Teezer?? lol

Good one Autumn, I'd forgotten about that.

Although I do try to forget about RW altogether TBH. Any hairdresser that looks like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards should take a long hard look at themselves if you ask me!! Ha Ha

Me too. Someone just posted a picture of the goody bag on FB. I've been 3 times now to the BB and I couldn't believe how stingy it looked compared to other years. The fact that they weren't allowed to give out free samples and apparently no raffle. I'm now glad when I phoned up to RSVP it was full. I live in London and I feel really bad for all the ppl who had to travel from further distances.

I went for the first time last year and I loved it (won tickets in a QVC competition). I didn't want to come away and I wanted to go back!
I must admit I was pretty gutted I didn't get to go this year (my Mum was sent a letter but by the time I got the letter from her to ring it was full) but after reading these posts maybe I shouldn't be...

Latest posts

Back