The latest Gemporia gem discovery?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calamity Gem

Registered Shopper
Wow! Jess’s “wow” quota has reached new levels this weekend with the Gems TV unveiling of peridot from the new Jilin mine in China, billed on the programme title as having been “discovered” by Gemporia. Weren’t they just invited on a marketing jolly? Jake likened it this morning to the discovery of tanzanite. But tanzanite was an entirely new gemstone. He invited us to “forget everything we’ve ever known about peridot”. Fair enough if it was an emerald. But the majority of the jewellery buying population in the West not only don’t really know about peridot, they don’t care either, to the extent that spinel had to be added as a second August birthstone a few years ago, because peridot wasn’t popular enough. It could obviously be a big thing in China, where green gemstones are the favourite and Burmese jadeite is apparently not being mined now. But it seems over here Jilin peridot is the latest in Gemporia’s sycophantic over-the-top advertising of a particular company’s gemstone product, which, after Argyle, is its best access to new gems to sell. But this time the spiel really did seem over the top. Time may prove me wrong, but to my eye on TV the gem seemed pretty similar to previous (nice) Chinese peridot I’ve bought from Gemporia. And it wasn’t selling out. What did you all think? PS I did order a piece though, just to check!!

The whole hype surrounding this normal looking Peridot was sickening to see. People should buy this particular type because it's more sparkly due to having something in it that other peridots don't have, or some such nonsense.It is just Peridot.He said that other peridots have a brown tinge but I haven't seen brown in any previous peridot that they've sold.It is nothing but the same old hype it up formula.Much like how they sell diamonds by mine locations.It doesn't matter where it's mined because it has very little to do with price.But I suppose it helps to show pretty pictures of Africa and Australia because people are easily swayed.(Not me)

Its just more marketing BS.

They used to sell Hunan Peridot (named after the Province of Hunan) - then they started selling Changbai Peridot (named after the Changbai Mountain range). Of course, hyping up the Changbai Peridot. They came from the same mine.

Guess where Jilin is in China? Correct, In the same place as the Changbai Mountain range...........

The whole hype surrounding this normal looking Peridot was sickening to see. People should buy this particular type because it's more sparkly due to having something in it that other peridots don't have, or some such nonsense.It is just Peridot.He said that other peridots have a brown tinge but I haven't seen brown in any previous peridot that they've sold.It is nothing but the same old hype it up formula.Much like how they sell diamonds by mine locations.It doesn't matter where it's mined because it has very little to do with price.But I suppose it helps to show pretty pictures of Africa and Australia because people are easily swayed.(Not me)
I agree. It's utter BS and totally subjective.

Peridot is a perfect example of that the Jake bullshit. Peridot is idiochromatic; it is green because it is peridot, if you like. So you can't BS about "rare trace element X or Y" here. It is what it is. So waffling on about "other peridot" in a sneering way is pure Swiss Tony crap.

The original "Changbai" lot sold by Steve had a lovely dark, apple-y green. I missed out on that. I have never liked the pale, more yellow "Hunan" variety (also mainly sold by TJC). This "Jilin" variety looks pale and wishy-washy to me. If gemstones are valued first by colour, this is awful stuff.

To be fair, precisely because Peridot is idiochromatic, you pays your money and takes your choice. I've seen Victorian jewellery with terrible peridot. In case anyone's interested, photo attached of some loose to show how different they can be. Top two from Pakistan; bottom two from Arizona. Both nice but quite different.

Attachments

• 20231024_081542.jpg
    20231024_081542.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 56
Toby is now on with supposedly Swiss Marcasite but it’s from Madagascar.At least it’s named after Valais but that’s the only connection.

I agree. It's utter BS and totally subjective.

Peridot is a perfect example of that the Jake bullshit. Peridot is idiochromatic; it is green because it is peridot, if you like. So you can't BS about "rare trace element X or Y" here. It is what it is. So waffling on about "other peridot" in a sneering way is pure Swiss Tony crap.

The original "Changbai" lot sold by Steve had a lovely dark, apple-y green. I missed out on that. I have never liked the pale, more yellow "Hunan" variety (also mainly sold by TJC). This "Jilin" variety looks pale and wishy-washy to me. If gemstones are valued first by colour, this is awful stuff.

To be fair, precisely because Peridot is idiochromatic, you pays your money and takes your choice. I've seen Victorian jewellery with terrible peridot. In case anyone's interested, photo attached of some loose to show how different they can be. Top two from Pakistan; bottom two from Arizona. Both nice but quite different.

Gemporia's Hunan and Changbai Peridot are the same thing. They come from the same mine ;-)

The only reason why one is more yellow than the other is because it's not of the same grade. Probably bought for cheaper at a later date when the price of the better grade material was beyond what they were willing to pay for it.

Latest posts

Back