Burmese gemstones

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

recoveringgemaholic

Registered Shopper
I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts were regarding this statement. Question asked on Gemporia Facebook re Burmese gemstones and ethics of origin. It’s one huge reason I don’t buy Burmese ruby or spinel.
Not sure what to make of the reply to be honest and wanted to gauge opinions

“we have a lengthy statement from Jake, one of our Gem Hunters below addressing this query.
Gemporia.

"I can confirm our stones originating from Burma are conflict free and ethically sourced. In 2019 we were invited by the Burmese mining community to visit the country to source gemstones. Prior to this trip Burma had been an unknown for us, as the political climate had been challenging and we had no direct access. We accepted the invitation as the Burmese government of the day was opening up internationally and appeared to be on the road to empowering its people. On our visit to Mogok (the first visit undertaken buy western gem buyers for over a decade they told us) we were pleasantly surprised at the mining and trading practises we found. Miners were excited to invite us into their activities, proud of their conditions. In the market, gem trading was predominantly conducted by the matriarch of gem mining families, facilitating innovative gender empowerment compared with other mining locales. We invested heavily on this visit in rough material, in part to reward excellent ethical practices. This is why we have found the subsequent reversal of policy by the Burmese government so heartbreaking to witness. We can’t support a regime who are not sharing fairly the rewards of their people’s work, and have undertaken a buying ban on Burmese material since this change in approach by the Burmese government. We look forward to the day the Burmese people can once again take a fair share of their nation’s gems and we can support the responsible transfer of these treasures to our conscientious collectors."

I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts were regarding this statement. Question asked on Gemporia Facebook re Burmese gemstones and ethics of origin. It’s one huge reason I don’t buy Burmese ruby or spinel.

“we have a lengthy statement from Jake, one of our Gem Hunters below addressing this query.
Gemporia.

"I can confirm our stones originating from Burma are conflict free and ethically sourced. In 2019 we were invited by the Burmese mining community to visit the country to source gemstones. Prior to this trip Burma had been an unknown for us, as the political climate had been challenging and we had no direct access. We accepted the invitation as the Burmese government of the day was opening up internationally and appeared to be on the road to empowering its people. On our visit to Mogok (the first visit undertaken buy western gem buyers for over a decade they told us) we were pleasantly surprised at the mining and trading practises we found. Miners were excited to invite us into their activities, proud of their conditions. In the market, gem trading was predominantly conducted by the matriarch of gem mining families, facilitating innovative gender empowerment compared with other mining locales. We invested heavily on this visit in rough material, in part to reward excellent ethical practices. This is why we have found the subsequent reversal of policy by the Burmese government so heartbreaking to witness. We can’t support a regime who are not sharing fairly the rewards of their people’s work, and have undertaken a buying ban on Burmese material since this change in approach by the Burmese government. We look forward to the day the Burmese people can once again take a fair share of their nation’s gems and we can support the responsible transfer of these treasures to our conscientious collectors."
I'm not sure what to make of it either!!

Gemporia.

I suppose it comes down to whether you trust Jake when he says the stock was bought at a time the transaction could be said to support ethical mining and mining communities. It's a difficult one with Burma.

Last edited:
Yes this is it isn’t it? They might not have purchased from Burma since 2019 but that doesn’t mean they haven’t purchased from other people who had purchased from Burma since then.
I think that it's very telling that Gemporia hadn't mentioned when they had bought these gemstones until now.

If Jake had moved away from his skipload of cream cakes in 2019 long enough to buy gems at a time when Myanmar was open to international trade, why hasn't anyone made this clear earlier during any of the live shows? It's not like the buyers and presenters are normally quiet and reserved during live auctions. If anything, it's a battle to sit through the eternal waffle and get to the jewellery.

Gemporia likes to trumpet its ethical values from the rooftops. Yet for some reason they've been very, very quiet over Burmese gems. Maybe I am a huge cynic, but I can't help but wonder why

I think that it's very telling that Gemporia hadn't mentioned when they had bought these gemstones until now.

If Jake had moved away from his skipload of cream cakes in 2019 long enough to buy gems at a time when Myanmar was open to international trade, why hasn't anyone made this clear earlier during any of the live shows? It's not like the buyers and presenters are normally quiet and reserved during live auctions. If anything, it's a battle to sit through the eternal waffle and get to the jewellery.

Gemporia likes to trumpet its ethical values from the rooftops. Yet for some reason they've been very, very quiet over Burmese gems. Maybe I am a huge cynic, but I can't help but wonder why
Yes that’s a really good point. They’ve waffled on for months about these gemstones so why not mention the ethical dimension to reassure their customers. I remember years ago they used to talk about their diamonds being ethical all the time although I’ve not heard that in a while.
I am not sure that I can trust their provenance. They’re essentially saying it seemed ok to them but what due diligence was actually done? And did they enquire about the ethics of these stones when they purchased from a third party?

Weren't they still doing Russian diamonds even after the invasion? I get they were purchased prior to that, but to openly cite their provenance proudly seemed a bit tone death.

I look forward to Angeline's new "blood diamond" collection.

"Heirloom pieces lovingly crafted using diamonds sourced from nations currently under international sanctions and trade bans. All set into sumptuous plastic under a luxury coat of gold colour paint."

Buy a suite. Buy 15! Put them away for Christmas, for International Haggis Smuggling Day, or for the cat's birthday. Plastic costs are skyrocketing! So you know what that means (though we can't give financial advice 😉)!

Next up: Dave Troth and his unmentionable Treasures of Iran. All set with luxury jade. Pre-orders are now open! Please buy it all, because I don't want to have to hear him waffle on about ****** jade again this week

Do you remember Gemporia's 17th birthday? I remember this event very well, because I started watching English-language auctions in October 2021. Jake was selling Burmese rubies. His main argument was: "If you don't buy Burmese rubies now, then forget about them forever. Treasures of Burma became inaccessible for Western investors, but they're still accesible for the Chinese. Remember that the previous sanctions on Burma lasted about a decade. It's possible that the current sanctions will last just as long. In ten years Burmese ruby deposit will be completely depleted. There won't be any rubies left and you'll be doomed to the Chinese middlemen and their high margins". What happened to this sort of propaganda?

Do you remember Gemporia's 17th birthday? I remember this event very well, because I started watching English-language auctions in October 2021. Jake was selling Burmese rubies. His main argument was: "If you don't buy Burmese rubies now, then forget about them forever. Treasures of Burma became inaccessible for Western investors, but they're still accesible for the Chinese. Remember that the previous sanctions on Burma lasted about a decade. It's possible that the current sanctions will last just as long. In ten years Burmese ruby deposit will be completely depleted. There won't be any rubies left and you'll be doomed to the Chinese middlemen and their high margins". What happened to this sort of propaganda?
They needed stock fast, and went for jade because they could get it cheaply in bulk?

I think that moral considerations probably disappeared at that point.

I look forward to Angeline's new "blood diamond" collection.

"Heirloom pieces lovingly crafted using diamonds sourced from nations currently under international sanctions and trade bans. All set into sumptuous plastic under a luxury coat of gold colour paint."

Buy a suite. Buy 15! Put them away for Christmas, for International Haggis Smuggling Day, or for the cat's birthday. Plastic costs are skyrocketing! So you know what that means (though we can't give financial advice 😉)!

Next up: Dave Troth and his unmentionable Treasures of Iran. All set with luxury jade. Pre-orders are now open! Please buy it all, because I don't want to have to hear him waffle on about ****** jade again this week
Fab idea! How about we open an online store? I have a new range for you.

Launching soon, our new collection: Taliban Treasures.

- Want your jewellery to shine through layers of black clothing? We have you covered.

- Our new range also includes unisex pieces, guaranteed to survive the impact when the men in your life are thrown off the highest buildings. All wrapped in luxury gun metal.

- Our exciting range includes two new wonderful fragrances; 'Misogyny Mist' and 'Total Totalitarian'. Both come with a free, toofer gold flash genuine, used rifle bullet.

We guarantee to deliver straight to your door in the middle of the night so you can be sure we won't ruin the surprise for your loved ones.

"Treasures of the Third Reich. Each piece lovingly created by the talented denizens of various prisoner of war camps. Every item drenched in authenticated Nazi gold. Each piece comes with a complementary set of gold-painted premium jade trouser enhancers, because we can't shift the ****** stuff, and Dave's now locked himself in the vault and is refusing to come out"

"Treasures of the Third Reich. Each piece lovingly created by the talented denizens of various prisoner of war camps. Every item drenched in authenticated Nazi gold. Each piece comes with a complementary set of gold-painted premium jade trouser enhancers, because we can't shift the ****** stuff, and Dave's now locked himself in the vault and is refusing to come out"
If only!

Oh wow 😂😂! VapidStoat and AndyW thank you so much for turning the extreme frustration with issues into something that gives people a reason to laugh, the best gift to everyone 🙏🥰, ability to laugh is more precious than diamonds and gold, and even Dave‘s Jade 😅😂….

haha the image of Dave in a vault of Jade 😂👌, brilliant! Thank you Vapidstoat 💓

Latest posts

Back