Beauty Bash January 2015

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Going to stick my head above the parapet here but to no one person, just in general. I presume many of the tickets to the BB are free and those people who bought a ticket paid £20. To me, for either a freebie or for £20 the day seems very generous. People aren`t forced to go, nor are they forced to travel long distances, pay expensive train fares or pay for a hotel etc, they choose to do so. When you think the average cinema ticket is almost a tenner and when department stores have event evenings you might get a few samples and a bit of advice, the QVC beauty bash seems a good all round deal. I`ve read their FB page and people have had eyebrows done, nails done and mini facials amongst other things, not to mention for those who are presenter fans ( I`m not ) they`ve had the opportunity to meet those presenters and also some guests and then to end the day a free bag of goodies. Not a bad day`s work IMO.
I know some folks have compared this year`s goodie bags to previous years but like everything else, things aren`t what they were. Ice lollies are smaller, Mars Bars have shrunk and seemingly QVC freebies have been shrunk too. Perhaps people from previous bashes have spoiled it for the many, all those previous goodie bags filled to the brim, appearing item by item on Ebay and hundreds of samples grabbed by the handful instead of just a couple at a time. I`ve never been to a bash, it`s too far and too expensive for me to bother for the sake of several items in a bag and not being a particular fan of any presenters or guests, I wouldn`t be interested in meeting them. All in all, for free or 20 quid, it seems good value.

Ultrasun

There will be a new product and it will be a BPOTM in April - Overnight Summer Skin Recovery Mask 50 ml (with hylauronic acid)

TSVs

2 April - 5 piece holiday essentials in options medium/high, high/very high (sounds like last year's one)

10 June - top to to protection in options Sensitive and Sports

8 July - 5 piece beautiful summer skin in options Family or Sparkle

I don't want to seem ungrateful but...

... I don't understand what QVC's reasoning is this year in reducing the give-aways, cutting out the raffle and generally coming across as a bit tight-fisted. Last year's goody bag contents (two bags) which pretty much filled my dining room table whereas this years fit on a standard sized tea-tray (still 2 bags worth). (photo to follow when the battery recharges in my camera!).

I think last year the letter or leaflet mentioned that the goody bag would be generous and full of samples and so fewer freebies would be handed out during the actual Beauty Bash session. Fair enough, I though maybe it was a fairer system as there were people brazenly asking for stuff, some just taking. The older New Year New You events were more of a free for all and I'll hold my hand up, I wafted repeatedly past the Elemis stand in those days and collected a fair few Bliss capsules. (didn't rate them tbh). At NYNY the stands were all very generous and if you didn't want to listen to the spiel they were cool just handing out the goods. For example Smashbox gave out the full sized lip palette, and SBC gave 100ml collagen gel tubes, Bobbi Brown gave out lipsticks and Leighton a corrector fluid with brush (you get the idea). They also laid on tea, coffee, pastries and one year they made smoothies with the Jack Lalane juicer. Last year at the BB they did pastries and other refreshments but this year it was a cuppa and a pair of biscuits in a packet (cost saving exercise? or new caterers?)

The raffle prizes have been shrinking for a while now, the top NYNY prize was usually £100s worth of Elemis in a big basket and was well-worth staying to the end for the draw. Last years draw was ok but the smallest prizes I'd seen (bear in mind I'd missed out a couple of year's event). But in past years the train fare from Sussex (about £60 each day return) was an acceptable cost for a jolly day out with a great range of goodies and samples. Meeting the brand reps was good and seeing the presenters was fun too, although I always thought that QVC set far more store by the cult of the presenter than I ever did! I'd rather chat with an expert than prattle with a presenter. I suspect the social media culture has convinced Q that their customers are dippy QVC groupies. I know I keep harking back to past events but they kind of set the benchmark for me and this year didn't measure up. At NYNY there were a few slots for treatments but the emphasis was on consultations (I chatted to Tom from Alpha H and Lee (the original one) from Philosophy for ages and had a good look at up-coming TSVs and other new products. I probably made a few purchases thanks to products tested or sniffed at NYNY. This year seemed geared more towards the treatments, for instance the Laura Geller stand had very few products on view, just the new stick foundation but only in the Medium shade, and the body butters that were launched before Xmas. There was no way to look at what the staff were applying to customers' faces unless you were that customer.

Mally's counter was similarly bare, the sold out set of shadow sticks from before Xmas seemed a bit out of date as it might not be reordered, though Teeny was just lovely. The Flora Mare chap and also the M.Asam couple were charming as were the French couple for L'Artisan Parfumeur - so nice to see more European brands being stocked as well as the usual American brands.

The transition to Beauty Bash (to fall into line with QVC US maybe) changed the event into a bigger and superficially slicker production; I went to my first BB last year with my daughter and even though we were told all freebies would be in the goody bags the vendors were handing out other bits and bobs. All well and good! Danish pastries and a raffle (didn't win mind you).

So today, the message came across loud and clear that no samples would be allowed and I think it was embarrassing for the vendors to comply with QVC's instructions. For instance Percy & Reed gave us a flimsy plastic card holder (but don't tell anyone) principally to hand out a competition details but as it was classed as a "valuable" freebie it technically wasn't allowed. Surely it's up to the brands to decide what to hand out? Alexis, when she was on the L'Occitane NYNY stand was a bit tight, (I'd get more from the L'Occy outlet at Gunwharf Quays on a wet Wednesday) whereas other brands gave out full retail sizes. The choice must have been theirs to make.

So I'm not sure why QVC have taken this stance, the samples don't come out of QVC's coffers surely? I don't want to get certain vendors into trouble because some of them still gave me and my daughter extra samples after we'd spoken about specific concerns but it was done in a weird claok and dagger, under-the-counter way which felt really odd. Last of all one of the Brand Ambassadors had spent a long while chatting with us, my daughter having had really good results over the intervening year since the last sample we'd been given so she suggested that we could take a small sample from the display and what she didn't see she couldn't stop IYKWIM. So we took a small item each but a woman who I assume was from QVC rather than the brand swooped and told us we couldn't have any freebies. It's not that we've missed out on something valuable, just a couple of £ worth at most but the lady offered and we weren't abusing her generosity. So the kind gesture was completely wiped out by a jobsworth wading in. So a jolly enough day out but what do we remember? Well you can guess.

So if I'm invited next year I'm not sure whether it's worth the train fare tbh, it certainly isn't money I'd pay out just to mingle with QVC presenters (though we spoke to Pipa and she was a hoot, natural and friendly). £120 for two of us to get into London from the South coast sin't looking worth the effort next year and anyone travelling from further afield, or Heaven forbid shelling out £20 for entry I'd probably say it's not worth it. Prior to today, I'd have said go once for the experience but after today I'd say don't bother.

Finally, of all the items in the goody bags the Eve Lom cleanser will be the first I use up HOWEVER the brand is no longer stocked on QVC so thanks for palming us off with stuff you can't sell QVC, I'm deeply grateful! :taphead:

Sorry for the long ranbling post, photos tomorrow!

Ultrasun

There will be a new product and it will be a BPOTM in April - Overnight Summer Skin Recovery Mask 50 ml (with hylauronic acid)

TSVs

2 April - 5 piece holiday essentials in options medium/high, high/very high (sounds like last year's one)

10 June - top to to protection in options Sensitive and Sports

8 July - 5 piece beautiful summer skin in options Family or Sparkle

Did you happen to see the upcoming Liz Earle TSV? :)

Ani, I posted some news on Alpha H for you x

Thank you, have seen the news.:) So we have to wait for the next TSV until August. But maybe there are good prices for the anniversary in March?

Last edited:
Thank you, have seen the news.:) So we have to wait for the next TSV until August. But maybe there are good prices for the anniversary in March?
We should hope so and may be a BPOTM in March since there will be no TSV?
And the TSV in August may have some Liquid Laser, I really want it especially they are going supersizes now, I tried it at BB and it's pleasant on the skin however I cannot speak about its effectiveness from my experience.

Did you happen to see the upcoming Liz Earle TSV? :)
I bypassed LE counter but from what gathered from other brands (eg Alpha H) they are not allowed to give details about upcoming TSVs and it was the same last year (with Alpha H) I am a bit confused about this as Ultrasun have this info written in a leaflet.

I wonder if QVC are being so stingy as the profits from the ticket sales aren't going into the QVC coffers but to BCC, so are limiting the samples from brands! That way we can't try before we buy, so buy from them under the 30 day back money guarantee, with the horrendous p and p charges (they are a business after all!)

I wonder if QVC are being so stingy as the profits from the ticket sales aren't going into the QVC coffers but to BCC, so are limiting the samples from brands! That way we can't try before we buy, so buy from them under the 30 day back money guarantee, with the horrendous p and p charges (they are a business after all!)

I have to say it was a bliss to sample Mally etc as each time I sampled I saved £3.95 plus return postage, or shall we say around a tenner on each product?

I wonder if they stopped/limited the freebies because people sold them on via Ebay, i know it is a great day out But I remember last year the day after people were selling items on Ebay making £££££.

maybe qvc feel that if we get given stuff we wont buy from them. last years bags were very generous

Seems quite a few ppl on FB are gushing about their BB day yesterday. The majority are newbies to this event (mostly ticket buyers) and are a little starstruck (gawd knows why) by the presenters. Unfortunately, this just fuels QVC's fire, and therefore will continue to take the piss out of their customers.

My first BB was 2011 and we were truly spoilt! It was much smaller and definitely much better than the current one. The venue was also way nicer, at the Business Design Centre, Islington, which is right on the High St. full of pubs, bars and restaurants. You could get treatments without the list being "fully booked" and people on the stands were literally shoving mini goody bags and samples at you when you walked past. Refreshments came with cupcakes too! Then came the big raffle at the end of the session and the prizes WERE big. I actually won! It was a huge SBC hamper. Then came the goody bag upon leaving. It was stuffed to the brim with samples and full-sizes, also including a QVC teddy bear and mug.

I went back again 2013 and had a similar good experience, although the goody bag this time didn’t include teddy or mug *sad face* and I didn’t win anything in the raffle lol.
Then came 2014. New venue. WHY? I guess the wanted to raise their profile and sidled up with The Daily Mail. This for me, is where it all went wrong. The venue was now in Monument on a very cold, concrete big road and a fair walk to any café/pub/bar and tube. Couldn’t get any treatments I wanted, very few samples being handed out, café full. They still did a raffle, but I was slightly taken aback at how few items there were and the goody bag was half the size from the year before.

So, I got an invite for this years, phoned up too late and didn’t get the confirmation and I’m glad because by the sounds of it has got even worse. No samples given out and no raffle at all.

I am very thankful for experiencing this event at its best. Good memories.

We should hope so and may be a BPOTM in March since there will be no TSV?
And the TSV in August may have some Liquid Laser, I really want it especially they are going supersizes now, I tried it at BB and it's pleasant on the skin however I cannot speak about its effectiveness from my experience.

I don't know if I need or want ;-) the Liquid Laser serum, but I assume I will know in August. I am always thinking that it might be not for me but for more mature skin types (50plus) as I think Michelle or Tom mentioned that last time when presenting the Liquid Laser Balm. Or am I wrong? Because if the LL is practically for everybody, then it is also for me! :)

Sorry went off line last night. This woman did not post which items she received but it looked about 8. I recognized NUDE facial Oil I will say a 5mls size(could have been 10 mls), and that was all the rest looked like the samples you get at a counter in a department store.

The Liz Earle, I know they give the 30mls cleanser and cloth out on counters if you buy from them, well Boots does. The 15mls pot of Super Moisturizer is good value for sure.

As for selling the freebies on Ebay, I know after a SpaceNK event I have a nose and lots of the products are on sale, even a full goodie bag someone wanted £150 for.

I don't know if I need or want ;-) the Liquid Laser serum, but I assume I will know in August. I am always thinking that it might be not for me but for more mature skin types (50plus) as I think Michelle or Tom mentioned that last time when presenting the Liquid Laser Balm. Or am I wrong? Because if the LL is practically for everybody, then it is also for me! :)

I watched the Liquid Laser Concentrate video and Tom said it targets skin 45 / 50plus years of age.

Any news on the Elemis TSVs?

I'm disappointed there will be no new TSv for Alpha H until August!

If you want all these free samples why not pay a visit to somewhere like Selfridges and ask the assistant on every cosmetic counter,they are all usually obliging.

Latest posts

Back