Behind The Scenes... Anything and everything you want to know

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm perfectly calm. But thanks for thinking of me :)

You've still not said why you continue to post here despite thinking it's BS and that you think it's a waste of time as they won't answer your questions. Do you just like posting and being 'difficult' just because you can?

The original post was to ask questions, I and others asked questions about IW front of house, you know the ones that try and grab the money off you, the important stuff, and the fact they're economical with the truth, these are valid questions but won't be answered, in my opinion because "ex IW worker" is not an ex IW worker, he tried the same thing about a year ago too, but that's just my opion, forgive me if I thought I was entitled to it. I dont find my questions difficult at all, if you read my first comment you'll see I have nothing but praise for IW......what? did you not read that far back? Never mind.

I'll send you my CV shall I..? Ludicrous. Why would anyone lie about working for IW? It's hardly a claim to fame. lol. My CV includes the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, SKY Sports. I'm really going to come onto a forum to lie about my time on Ideal World as a floor manager. lmao.

Whatever you say......you're patronising "at last a sensible question" Is quite childish, I find it more intriguing as to why you come on here as an "ex IW worker" over a year on, I can't remember but it was a while back you used the same title.......why not call yourself who you're working for now, might be more impressive, and before you start I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.

Whatever you say......you're patronising "at last a sensible question" Is quite childish, I find it more intriguing as to why you come on here as an "ex IW worker" over a year on, I can't remember but it was a while back you used the same title.......why not call yourself who you're working for now, might be more impressive, and before you start I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.

I've never been a member or posted on here before. I suppose I'll also get burnt on the cross for this being blatant BS too..?

The original post was to ask questions, I and others asked questions about IW front of house, you know the ones that try and grab the money off you, the important stuff, and the fact they're economical with the truth, these are valid questions but won't be answered, in my opinion because "ex IW worker" is not an ex IW worker, he tried the same thing about a year ago too, but that's just my opion, forgive me if I thought I was entitled to it. I dont find my questions difficult at all, if you read my first comment you'll see I have nothing but praise for IW......what? did you not read that far back? Never mind.

Right then. Let's try again. Take out the big paragraphs. Take out all the padding in the messages. Ask me a series of one sentence questions, and I'll answer them. That's then up to you whether you say I'm not telling the truth. But let's try one last time. Ask me a series of DIRECT QUESTIONS, without all the padding, and I'll provide the 100% truthful answer as short worded as possible.

Right then. Let's try again. Take out the big paragraphs. Take out all the padding in the messages. Ask me a series of one sentence questions, and I'll answer them. That's then up to you whether you say I'm not telling the truth. But let's try one last time. Ask me a series of DIRECT QUESTIONS, without all the padding, and I'll provide the 100% truthful answer as short worded as possible.

I've done that a few times and got helpful and interesting answers, so thanks.

Hi Craftalot. Thanks for asking a sensible question....

There are a few reasons why the camera work looks so blurry...
... makes it a bit easier. see ya".

Thanks for that thorough answer - it's very much what I suspected, particularly regarding the inexperience and crappy equipment. That pay you quote for the staff is appalling - as you say, IW is obviously end up having a huge turnover of staff because as soon as they have even a modicum of experience, they're off to pastures new. I agree wholeheartedly about the Dissolves! All in all, the working conditions put me in mind of those exposés you periodically get about Amazon, all except this one is too niche to get any coverage.

Do you mind my asking another couple of questions?

1. Being careful not to name specific presenters, IW has made a conscious decision to go even more down-market over the past few years, and the ex-Bid presenters certainly help them along this path. Do certain brands get a veto on who presents - I can think of several more aspirational brands (not that there are really any on IW) would be loathed to have certain presenters do their shows! Also, has IW seen their inventory shrink significantly as a consequence of these move downwards, or have they just changed the products they stock? It's noticeable that QVC doesn't regularly sell items for less that £15-20, but this seems to be IW's core price point.

2. IW sells airtime to things like Legacy Probate, Thomas Sanderson, Benedon Healthcare etc. Do they get a lot more say in the production of these shows as a consequence, because it seems very much business as usual to the viewer.

Thanks!

To IW insider - Of course you're not going to tell us who's a nightmare to work with, even though we'd LOVE to know. I'm not really interested in the techy behind the scenes stuff...but surely you can tell us who the nicest most easy going presenters are/were! Nobody will object to your posting niceties on here. Go on - Who are the nicest presenters?

To IW insider - Of course you're not going to tell us who's a nightmare to work with, even though we'd LOVE to know. I'm not really interested in the techy behind the scenes stuff...but surely you can tell us who the nicest most easy going presenters are/were! Nobody will object to your posting niceties on here. Go on - Who are the nicest presenters?

Obviously that will be Peter Simon !!!!!

Nicest presenters are incredibly easy.

Sean is a lovely person, who has time for everyone. He started off as a floor manager years ago, so knows the struggles of the backstage teams. He has a lot of time for all the new crew.
Debbie Shore also very nice. Easy to get along with, and a surprisingly very good sense of humour.
Janice Philips - Tech guest. Friendly to everyone and puts a lot of time and effort into preparation and very hard working.
Nigel May - Very funny, kind, and great fun on a night out! Takes instruction from floor managers and producers well.

The rest... Not my cuppa tea.

Thanks for that thorough answer - it's very much what I suspected, particularly regarding the inexperience and crappy equipment. That pay you quote for the staff is appalling - as you say, IW is obviously end up having a huge turnover of staff because as soon as they have even a modicum of experience, they're off to pastures new. I agree wholeheartedly about the Dissolves! All in all, the working conditions put me in mind of those exposés you periodically get about Amazon, all except this one is too niche to get any coverage.

Do you mind my asking another couple of questions?

1. Being careful not to name specific presenters, IW has made a conscious decision to go even more down-market over the past few years, and the ex-Bid presenters certainly help them along this path. Do certain brands get a veto on who presents - I can think of several more aspirational brands (not that there are really any on IW) would be loathed to have certain presenters do their shows! Also, has IW seen their inventory shrink significantly as a consequence of these move downwards, or have they just changed the products they stock? It's noticeable that QVC doesn't regularly sell items for less that £15-20, but this seems to be IW's core price point.

2. IW sells airtime to things like Legacy Probate, Thomas Sanderson, Benedon Healthcare etc. Do they get a lot more say in the production of these shows as a consequence, because it seems very much business as usual to the viewer.

Thanks!

Hello. Thanks for the appreciation. Not a problem answering these questions as best I can..

1. Presenter line ups are pretty much chosen due to their target market. Unless there's been a massive a scheduling error, you would not expect to see the slapstick comedy guys presenting a laser hair removal pick of the day for example. However, it is very much down to Ideal World who they put presenting what products. The brands have no say in this whatsoever, for normal shows. They have a say in their guests demo'ing the products, but not really the presenter. As Ideal World are trusted/expected to provide someone to front the show. However, in an "Ideal World". the brand and the product demos are to lay solely in the hands of the guest. Therefore, the presenter is meant to be there purely to ask the questions the audience want to know, give the demo'er someone to bounce off, and provide the details on how to order etc.

Regarding IW stock levels and inventory etc, it's not really where I was based I am afraid.

2. These shows are called ADVERTISERS, to the backstage crew. They do have a lot more say in the production. Whether or not it is seen as obvious to the viewers at home is another matter. But for example, a normal show may take anything from 15 minutes to 90 minutes to set up. An advertiser show always took 2-4 hours to set up, with the set for that show being scheduled to be empty for the majority of the day. This allows plenty of time for the set to be set up, guests and advertiser clients to come and view the set and make any changes they feel it needs. They will make suggestions such as having champagne flutes on set to make the cruise ship shows seem more luxurious. However, this is not alcohol. It is watered down cheap apple juice. It tastes really nasty. No idea how they pretend is tastes so good!

On top of the usual documentation provided for a product/show, advertiser shows have a much larger documentation, set out by the company, and they will request a certain style of presenter, lighting, product order etc. They sometimes even have someone sat in the gallery to oversee the production live, and guide the producer in the way they want. These shows cost them an absolute fortune, so it is only right.

One thing to note on the presenters. And please don't anyone take this as me defending them, or that I like it... BUT, people have made so many comments about the slapstick comedy of some of the more tacky presenters.. How embarassing and low key, innuendo based some of their presenters are. How unfunny they are. How the hell do they get away with it? Why aren't they sacked etc? People seem to fail to realise, whether we like it or not, they have been hired by someone to PURPOSELY be like that on screen. Why? I don't know. I think it looks as awful and tacky as you all do on here. But someone, somewhere, has hired them for this exact purpose.

Think you've had a hard time on this thread. Just to let you know, I'm finding it interesting, thanks!

Can I ask why ideal continue to sell the same 5 products endlessly. Their website actually has quite a wide range of products at (in some cases!) decent prices. I'd have thought ideal world were mainly selling to he same people so they'd want to advertise as many of the products on the website as possible.

Can I ask why ideal continue to sell the same 5 products endlessly. Their website actually has quite a wide range of products at (in some cases!) decent prices. I'd have thought ideal world were mainly selling to he same people so they'd want to advertise as many of the products on the website as possible.

Unfortunately it's quite a boring and simple answer. They sell well. And it keeps the costs down as they already have all the props for the demos. The bigger the variety, the more props they need, the bigger the backstage area would need to be to store them. The bigger the area needs to be to store products. Boring answer I'm afraid. But purely logistical. Pretty much the same reason restaurants keep their menus relatively small. Do a small selection and do it well. However debateable that is regarding ideal world lol.

As an aside, I once heard Dale say on QVC ".......In an ideal world........."

Then he abruptly stopped and said "Wash my mouth out with soap".

I thought it was very funny.

Do they have a works Xmas party? In fact, do any of the shopping tele channels have a Xmas party?

I would like to know about the cooking shows -some of the stuff they cook looks quite nice. Is it all it seems and who eats it all

Latest posts

Back