Birkenstocks - are there any that are a little more dainty

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks in the QVC clearance section in February and have worn them at weekends this summer when the weather permitted. I have a pair of black Betulas. Trouble is that they look very clumsy with summer dresses. Any suggestions for either a more dainty Birki or some other make of sandal.

Also I have noticed that the sides of the soles on the birkis have started to crack where the ball of my foot is, has anyone else experienced this? Will they get worse? I've had them for more than 6 months (though didn't wear them for the first 4 months) so I may have trouble sending them back to QVC.

They have been comfortable to wear once I broke my feet into them - they were very hard to start with. I'm after flat shoes as want something to walk in on holiday. I have some Keene sandals but they are equally clumsy but really comfortable and can go in the sea.

I personally think that the toe post styles look much less clumpy than the non toepost ones when it comes to Birkenstocks & these are what I wear, although I have little choice in the matter as they are pretty much all that is available in the wider Regular fit!
I am only about 5 foot tall & although my bottom half is only a size 8 I am a sturdy little so & so with chunkyish calves & I find them quite flattering & not at all clumsy, (especially when you consider I'm wearing the wider fitting ones! lol) but the non toepost ones wouldn't suit me at all I fear!
I would maybe try looking for some with as few straps as possible to reduce the illusion of 'bulk', IYSWIM?

Re. the damage, I've never had that happen (& with dodgy feet I literally live in mine as I can't get anything much else on my feet!) - they should last longer than that & QVC (as the retailer) have a legal responsibility (under the Sale of Goods Act) to do something about it, so I would contact them asap, as they have not lasted as long as you should have expected them to!
(I have done this myself with an item over 6 months old & they took it back without fuss or question!)

I have loads birkies and bought 2 new pairs Gizeh in the winter cheap ready for this year and they have cracked as well. Too late to return - but have bought some 'bendy rubber shoe glue' and has fixed them very well. But has put me off a bit buying them cheaper in winter etc just in case!!
Mollymoo

Birkenstocks ... dainty. Nope. Not a chance in hell. Trendy, yes. Comfy, not in my case but I know others love them. Dainty, I fear not.

Have you tried Scholls? Some of them are almost dainty and very comfy too. I have small feet but just can't get used to seeing them in birkis. They suddenly look like great hooves. Hotter and Rieker are possible brands too.

I find the Madrid and Molina single strap styles are less clumpy and have several pairs in various colours. Never had any crack in the way you describe and that's after I've worn them loads, bashed them about and even worn them in the sea on hols. I can't comment on the toe-post styles as I find them uncomfortable (any brand , not tried Birkenstocks though)

I bought a strappy pair several years ago - very dainty for Birkis. I've looked for them ever since, but sadly have never seen them. They were similar to Siwa (there are still some of these to be had), but had very narrow black straps and were embroidered with gold-coloured threads here and there. They even had tiny gold adjustable buckles. Very un-Birki.

Never understood why they don't make daintier ones.

I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks in the QVC clearance section in February and have worn them at weekends this summer when the weather permitted. I have a pair of black Betulas. Trouble is that they look very clumsy with summer dresses. Any suggestions for either a more dainty Birki or some other make of sandal.

Also I have noticed that the sides of the soles on the birkis have started to crack where the ball of my foot is, has anyone else experienced this? Will they get worse? I've had them for more than 6 months (though didn't wear them for the first 4 months) so I may have trouble sending them back to QVC.

They have been comfortable to wear once I broke my feet into them - they were very hard to start with. I'm after flat shoes as want something to walk in on holiday. I have some Keene sandals but they are equally clumsy but really comfortable and can go in the sea.

I have only got the toe post ones and I find them so comfortable that I wear them whenever I can :happy: I love my Birkies. They should not break so quickly, QVC will take them back, I am sure, let us know how you get on.

Two words that do NOT go together are 'dainty' and 'Birkenstocks'. They look like diving boots when worn with summer dresses or maxis, regardless of design or print.

I have to agree that they're not particularly dainty.I find the ones with a co-ordinating sole "lighter" to wear.I have however worn my one strap ones..Madrid? menorca? with my long skirts,shorts etc..

I'm also wondering if Birkenstock will be "opting" out of QVC soon....I found they had very few shows this summer (and even less TSV's) compared to previous years.There was a time when you couldn't move for Birkenstock on QVC.They were almost given a fanfare when the shows were wheeled out in March for the start of the season.I don't think they even featured on the special spring shows this when previously they would have been a TSV.

I'm also wondering if Birkenstock will be "opting" out of QVC soon....I found they had very few shows this summer (and even less TSV's) compared to previous years.There was a time when you couldn't move for Birkenstock on QVC.They were almost given a fanfare when the shows were wheeled out in March for the start of the season.I don't think they even featured on the special spring shows this when previously they would have been a TSV.

Ooh, I hope not, I like the Birkenstock shows, though I mostly buy from Clearance/Last Clicks - I live out in the sticks (not exactly the throbbing heart of the fashion world! lol) & very much doubt that, on the odd occasion I do venture outside the house, anybody would be thinking 'Oh, how frightful, that woman is wearing a pair of Birkenstocks with a last season pattern on!'......! :giggle:

(They did have something to gawp at on one occasion though - I noticed a woman looking at me slightly oddly (as I was on my way home), looked down & realised I had been stomping round town wearing Birkenstocks of two completely different colours, one red one, one green one......!) :blush: :doh:

I have had some where the cork cracked but they were old and well worn!

I have had some where the cork cracked but they were old and well worn!

I shall have to look out for this then, as not had it happen to any of mine so far!
I threw out a pair recently (OH forced me to if truth be known, he said they were dangerous, bearing in mind I could trip over the pattern on a carpet! lol) - the straps etc. were fine but the soles had worn completely smooth, no tread remaining at all really, I literally wore them out on the soles!
No sign of cracking on the cork though.....though maybe this is because I slather on foot cream like it's going out of fashion & they were thus kept 'well oiled'.........the cork was rather 'dark' in colour I have to say........! :blush: :grin:

I did not notice with these at first ,but they started to be uncomfortable where they had not been, when I looked they were cracked!

Let's face it, they're meant for comfort and are not dressy at all. It depends where you're going when you wear them. They're great for going round Asda but if you're off to lunch in Harvey Nicks with your friend who always looks like a footballer's wife, they're a definite no no.

I thought exactly the same this year. There were nowhere near the amount of Birki shows than previous years. I have five pairs, either Madrid or Menorca (one strap). They are really comfortable, but no, they are not dainty or ladylike. I was not tempted to buy another pair this year - I think the novelty of buying new colours/styles has worn off and I doubt I will be getting another pair.

I agree that they are not dainty. I do love the feeling of wearing mine (menorca 1 strap version), however, that said, do find that you end up scrunching up your toes to keep them on your feet - either that or letting the heel drag along. I also find that they are very pricey for what is really a 'flip flop' and think that my different coloured 4 pairs will (and have so far) last me years

Latest posts

Back