Can anyone recommend a good scented candle range

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Don't say Yankee, cause although I know they're actually pretty good - I don't want a candle in a jar, or a tiny votive. I discovered Zoella candles a few years back and they are absolutely perfect. They come in a fairly small decorative glass, and they smell beautiful, have a good throw and are inexpensive. Of course with most things that I take a liking to, they get discontinued. I've tried the Jo Malone lookalikeys from Aldi and wasn't that impressed, but at least they were really cheap. I was in TK Maxx and spotted a Sarah Jessica Parker "Lovely" candle, which is the perfume I wear regularly, it was in a small decorative glass with a shiny gold lid and it cost a tenner, so it ticked all the boxes for me and more. I lit it a few nights ago and it smelt amazing, the throw was really good, so I burned it the next night and the night after. I decided that as it was so good that today (my day off) I'd go out and stock up on a couple more as they only had a few left. Last night I lit it and I couldn't smell anything from it and I noticed that it had started to "tunnel". I lit it again this morning just to be sure and sure enough, nothing! So obviously they've only scented part of the candle, and it's tunnelling away nicely so I reckon in a couple of days it will be completely unusable anyway. I'm glad I realised this before wasting any more of my money. Does anyone know of any foolproof candle brands that don't cost the earth?

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the Aldi Jo Malone reed diffusers, but like you Merryone, I was disappointed with the candles from the same range.
B & M also do a few Jo Malone copies and their candles were much better IMO.

As stupid as this sounds, I think I'm more disappointed in getting a candle that delivers the goods for a couple of uses than I have ever been when I've bought a candle and I've realised that it's crap straight away. I know it was only a tenner, so it could've been worse. I wish the Zoella candles were still widely available, under a tenner, and they kept their aroma right to end and didn't tunnel - I'll keep checking Ebay. Sadly there's no B&M anywhere near me, but might try the heart and home ones at some stage. Cheers!

Lidl do some copycat Jo Malone candles. They are not going to be on the level of Jo Malone or even Yankee but they smell ok and burn quite well better than M&S candles. They smell ok but don't expect a top end scent. But I think they are fine and well worth the money. I am burning Nectarine and Orange Blossom. It smells nice even. For £3.50 I dont think you can get better VFM.

Lidl do some copycat Jo Malone candles. They are not going to be on the level of Jo Malone or even Yankee but they smell ok and burn quite well better than M&S candles. They smell ok but don't expect a top end scent. But I think they are fine and well worth the money. I am burning Nectarine and Orange Blossom. It smells nice even. For £3.50 I dont think you can get better VFM.
Thanks, I've not tried the ones from Lidl. I've also tried one from M&S and it was ok, but it didn't blow me away. Anyway a bit of an update, and I meant to post it earlier. Lit my SJP candle as I thought I might as well just use it up rather than chuck it, and lo and behold, the scent had returned. It continues to burn rather unevenly, but not as badly as some I've had and I reckon it still has a couple of days left in it. Weird, dunno what happened, perhaps I became temporarily nose blind. Anyway, when I was in town last I thought that I would see if TK Maxx had any more, and there was a few left, so I bought another one. I decided that I wouldn't buy up all the stock as it's getting more spring like and I only really burn my candles in the winter months. It's nice to know I've got a few candles in the cupboard that I really love. I've still got 3 of my beloved Zoella candles, plus this one. So next year, no doubt the search will continue for a range of candles I love and won't be discontinued. Lidl are a good bet by the sound of it, thanks!

Tell you a good place to get scented candles in top brands cheap is TK maxx or Homesense mainly US brands and some UK ones. LAB, Pecksniffs Magnolia and Ginger has to be in my top 3 for a fabulous scent £12.99 for over 500g candle. In a matt black jar. The best

Latest posts

Back