Charlie Bears - are they having a laugh?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
As usual, I was checking in at qvcuk.com, where Charlie Bears are highlighted. Now, I have Rhubarb and Crumble but, as a collector of limited edition, collectable bears, including Deans and Hermann, I would not recommend Charlie Bears if you are buying them as a collection which will increase in value, etc. The quality, in my opinion, just isn't there and the popularity of the range is based on, primarily, the price - more of that later - and the couple who own the company - how long before they sell out? - although they are, for me, a deterrant to buying the bears. The point of the post: an Isabelle Lee bear - never even heard of her till Charlie Bears - Montague, 28", LE 200 - not exactly a small edition - is selling for £462.00 + £5.95 p+p. I would only pay that kind of money for an antique bear, not even a modern day Steiff, so there is no way I would waste the best part of £500 on what is, fundamentally, a cuddly toy. I truly believe that Charlie and Will are so narcissistic that they are engulfed by their own 'importance', but the callers do enable them to feel that way. I do think that repeat purchasers of these bears have been blindsighted by the story behind Charlie Bears, how they met, how their joint love of all things teddy bears brought them together and impelled them to start a company which evolved through their passion for bears, to make a range affordable to most people. They did start as being accessible, financially, to the majority but, as with most lines on QVC, prices are increasing. You get what you pay for and a £30 - £40 Charlie bear is not of the same quality as a triple the price Steiff. Depends why you collect; if it's just cos you like teddy bears, then maybe the quality isn't as important, and this range will be for you. Me personally, I would rather spend my money on a bear which will be owned by someone else in 100 years time, due to it's collectibiility. Charlie and Will like to give the impression that they are just a couple who love bears; in reality, I feel, they are out to make as much money as possible. Nothing wrong with that, they are running a business, but don't make out you are in it out of love.

Not a buyer of bears, but went to have a look Louise66 after your post. The prices seem to be plucked out of the air for the mohair/alpaca ones. The reviews seem to indicate a certain age range who buy them. At that price I would be expecting an antique, not a newly made one.

It reminds me of the TY Beanie Babies hype. A great marketing ploy if you can get people hooked. Now, of course, TY Beanies are valueless. It's a great money maker fot the Charlie Bear Company while it lasts. Totally agree with your post, louise66. If your going to collect anything quality is key.

When I was sick I thought " oh I need a bear " then lol & behold I bought 3...yes 3. Now did I think they were going to give me a hug back, nope, nor talk to me, reassure me.....no to all that, but I got suckered in by the must have these bears. Now they sit on my sofa tbh getting on my t**s with their to wobbly heads. I love a few teddies I got a George ' deans bear that was a present years ago, but actually I am over bears. Not one teddy spoke to me the swines! :taphead:It's all about penguins now :) :rock:

I started a thread about this when I first found this forum asking if the presenter & guests were "all there". I mean, giving a stuffed toy a personality & waving at the camera, talking for them etc, I found it quite hilarious in a car crash tv sort of a way. The conclusion was that they most certainly are all there, all the way to the bank lol! It does annoy me tho' to be honest as I know they're retailers selling their products but I can't help but think they're enticing the most vulnerable to pay high prices.

I always feel sorry for the lady guest from Charlie bears, she always looks so very uncomfortable and cold and frail. She might be a bit head in clouds but she is nice. So is he. Make a lovely couple

I mean, giving a stuffed toy a personality & waving at the camera, talking for them etc, I found it quite hilarious in a car crash tv sort of a way.

I'm not trying to belittle your post Nikki because I realise it has a serious point, and I don't disagree that it affects the emotionally vulnerable ... but I find the waving, nodding and wiggly teddies really amusing. My daughter has a favourite stuffed toy that comes in the car with us on long journeys and sits up front driving and waving to the other drivers on the motorway - and I'm not two bricks less than a full load, its just a bit of fun that gets a lot of smiles in return from complete strangers. I suppose it appeals to my inner child :)

I'm not trying to belittle your post Nikki because I realise it has a serious point, and I don't disagree that it affects the emotionally vulnerable ... but I find the waving, nodding and wiggly teddies really amusing. My daughter has a favourite stuffed toy that comes in the car with us on long journeys and sits up front driving and waving to the other drivers on the motorway - and I'm not two bricks less than a full load, its just a bit of fun that gets a lot of smiles in return from complete strangers. I suppose it appeals to my inner child :)

Absolutley no offence taken Debra. It must be quite funny to see :giggle: I just think QVC seem to deliberately target vulnerable people when selling those bears & as for the prices!

Latest posts

Back