Charlie Bears

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think collecting starts in childhood, it's a fun hobby. The stickers, the marbles, the fossils, the glittery ponies. As adults we go one of 4 ways. We stop collecting altogether, and just buy stuff that we intend to use, and flog or chuck what we don't. Or we collect "something", be it candles, bears, train sets, dolls, ceramic ornaments etc. Or we are like my mum, a child of the early fifties, brought up by parents who knew what it meant to have very little, so made-do-and-mended, don't throw it away cos it may come in handy for something. The parents have tons of stuff in their attics, my old doll's pram, sewing patterns off Prima or Womans Weekly. Knitting patterns. Yes she has kept them all. Or some become a problematic hoarder, the OCD illness with piles of newspaper and trash that covers every inch of floor space and reaches the ceiling.

Personally I have an aversion to clutter. My house gets messy but I have a tipping point. When I have too much make up I chuck it or sell it. I can't bring myself to collect. The only collections I own are my Nat West Pigs and my album of PG tips cards from the only one I managed to fill!

I think dolls are creepy unless my 4 year old is playing with it. I genuinely don't understand adults who collect things. But that is just me, with no disrespect intended. Those who have hundreds of Yankee Candles, on display in a Yankee Candle cabinet they paid £300 for, the candles costing many thousands of pounds if they added it up, I don't get that either. I love my smelly candles like the best of them but after all it is just wax. It is meant to be lit and enjoyed. I overheard a bloke walking past the Yankee Candle display with his girlfriend and she was interested in the candles. He said "you might as well set fire to a £20 note." I thought "what a controlling wanker" but part of me could see his point. Each to their own, but tempered with a heavy dose of common sense and moderation, would be my motto.

I concur totally, re yankee candle. I prefer village to yankee, but my reason for buying both, is utilitarian. They have a strong scent, and are good quality. This is why I USE them. I have seen posters on fb, showing photos of dozens of candles, and find this unbelievably wasteful, as they are not going to burn half of them. I can understand (to a degree) wanting to locate, then buy, certain exclusives, but to burn. I do not see the point of collecting candles.
As long as you gain pleasure from your chosen collectable, and can afford it, you are harming no-one. I read a thread n fb, started by a CB fan, who was angry, that some collectors, had the selfish nerve, to buy more than one of a bear, and - as if that isn't bad enough - to post a photo of the twin - this is how they are known - bears, where collectors who are unable to buy even one, endure agony, having to look at the photo! A tad extreme.

Collectables give pleasure to those 'collecting'. When it does become a problem is the disposal of said collection when someone passes away. Like a previous poster said, our old Mums would never throw anything away so when my lovely Mum went on her final journey, there were two piles - charity shop and skip. My late husband had over 600 cds and half as much again in LPs. I had hells own job of getting rid - even offering to give them to a local second hand record shop ! So, those 250 ceramic pigs/frogs/owls, or shelves full of novelty cruet sets that give you much pleasure and dusting, start offloading - you'll be doing your family a huuuuuge favour !!!!

Collectables give pleasure to those 'collecting'. When it does become a problem is the disposal of said collection when someone passes away. Like a previous poster said, our old Mums would never throw anything away so when my lovely Mum went on her final journey, there were two piles - charity shop and skip. My late husband had over 600 cds and half as much again in LPs. I had hells own job of getting rid - even offering to give them to a local second hand record shop ! So, those 250 ceramic pigs/frogs/owls, or shelves full of novelty cruet sets that give you much pleasure and dusting, start offloading - you'll be doing your family a huuuuuge favour !!!!

It's funny you saying that, I was only thinking the other day how much it will upset my two sons when my time comes, and being a hoarder, they'll have to dispose of things I haven't even used, there's not much so won't take me long to get rid, so I've decided to get my house in order. Since I turned fifty, it's been on my mind more and more, I know it's daft but let's face it, we never know the minute.

Oh this brings back memories. In the late 1990's, I worked with a lady who was buying them as an 'investment' for her children! She insisted they were appreciating in value by the minute; it's been ages since I thought of her, but I'm wondering what happened to the huge numbers of beanies she accumulated and whether she has still got them. What a load of hype that was back in the day. It's true what the antiques experts say on TV - buy and collect because you like something, not because you expect it to make your fortune. How true.
It was the same with Beany Babies. They were supposed to be worth money in the future but charity shops are selling them for 50p now.

I read a thread n fb, started by a CB fan, who was angry, that some collectors, had the selfish nerve, to buy more than one of a bear, and - as if that isn't bad enough - to post a photo of the twin - this is how they are known - bears, where collectors who are unable to buy even one, endure agony, having to look at the photo! A tad extreme.

I can't let the opportunity go by to use a current line...that CB fan anger has all the hallmarks of a first world problem!

There are things to get angry about in life, certainly; but not having a particular collectible item really shouldn't be one of them.

Yes, it doesn't matter how often the antiques experts on TV say much the same thing, you will still have people who are convinced they are buying into an investment. I watched a TV programme a year or so ago about someone who collects the china "real baby" type dolls. Good grief, it was enough to freak you out, she had hundreds of them. Many older people downsize now, and with house prices so expensive there are comparatively few people who are living in houses big enough to have vast amounts of space for collectables.
So agree with that ! Cant remember the last time I saw a pink/green/purple bear, so why create them ???

As for the 'secondary market', what hype ! On the back page of any magazine there is Franklins Mint, with a collection of wall plates with birds/engines/flowers/royalty/landmarks,; china dolls; pocket watches; clocks ; bracelets/pendants etc initially targeted at old people with plenty of wall space available - although I don't know any 'oldies' now who would be seen dead with all that crap - but this 'stuff' is marketed as a potential investment, and turns out to be tuppence a bucketful in the charity shops.

The only way you can make even modest amounts on collectables is to buy early and sell at their peak. After that they are just stuffing because the next big thing has come along.

I can understand people who enjoy the thrill of hunting down something, again I can understand the pleasure of owing something but it should be for pure enjoyment not for the possibility of it being an investment.

There is no doubt that everyday items such as a football programme can, 30 years later, be worth a lot but it is only because in hindsight that particular item has become rare and desirable.

Often on programmes you hear of someone in 1950 spending £500 on something now worth £1000 and everyone raves about it doubling its money but in real terms it has actually been a poor investment, if you equate it to wages then and now are far more than double and in parts of the country would buy a very small terrace house, plus it would have been very unlikely that the man in the street would ever had that sort of money to spend on something such as an ornament or painting.

I have a friend who collects those realistic looking baby dolls. She buys them from as far afield as America and you can order a "baby" to your own specification eg blonde hair, blue eyes, new born, premature size etc etc etc. She keeps them in her dining room which has very dark wood furniture and it is an old house and frankly, whenever I`ve passed through her dining room into the kitchen it gives me the heebie geebies. She has her dolls, spread around the room, in a moses basket, an antique pram, a glass cabinet and in a wooden display unit. Honest to goodness its like walking through a room full of dead babies and it REALLY freaks me out.
Her husband hates them with a passion and I can understand why.
PS and they all have names and she changes their clothes regularly after she washes the dolls and swaps them around from pram, to cabinet to moses basket and so on.

Oh, heck. I'm totally in sympathy with her husband - if I was the Other Half I'd probably stage a burglary when she was out (suspect = one very strange burglar?) and you wouldn't see me for dust afterwards. The TV programme I saw was bad enough to give you nightmares for a week, but living with them? No, thanks.
I have a friend who collects those realistic looking baby dolls. She buys them from as far afield as America and you can order a "baby" to your own specification eg blonde hair, blue eyes, new born, premature size etc etc etc. She keeps them in her dining room which has very dark wood furniture and it is an old house and frankly, whenever I`ve passed through her dining room into the kitchen it gives me the heebie geebies. She has her dolls, spread around the room, in a moses basket, an antique pram, a glass cabinet and in a wooden display unit. Honest to goodness its like walking through a room full of dead babies and it REALLY freaks me out.
PS and they all have names and she changes their clothes regularly after she washes the dolls and swaps them around from pram, to cabinet to moses basket and so on.

Some take these things very seriously - witness some of the comments made on the CB hours by people phoning in or texting. People have moved heaven and earth to get hold of a "missing" bear for their collection, and I think this is why some of the older bears, from the early years of the company, have held their value or increased it. Some of them are now virtually unobtainable. In the Great Scheme of Things it's trivial to most of us I agree, but not to some.
I can't let the opportunity go by to use a current line...that CB fan anger has all the hallmarks of a first world problem!

There are things to get angry about in life, certainly; but not having a particular collectible item really shouldn't be one of them.

That is really sad :( I wonder what tragedy may have led to that? Maybe she longed for children but never had them, or miscarried. If this is the case I can understand (and sympathise). But if this is not the case then I am afraid that I can't understand this at all, and yes, I feel sorry for her husband.

Oh those creepy dolls. reminds me of one of the funniest thing Viz ever did http://viz.co.uk/ich-bin-ein-naughty-boy/

That is really sad :( I wonder what tragedy may have led to that? Maybe she longed for children but never had them, or miscarried. If this is the case I can understand (and sympathise). But if this is not the case then I am afraid that I can't understand this at all, and yes, I feel sorry for her husband.

Nope no tragedy. She had one son when she was just turned 16 years old and said she never wanted to have another baby and she didn`t have anymore children by choice. Then in her 50`s she started this weird collection of lifelike baby dolls, all of them female I may add and she seems to get pleasure from buying them, dressing them and rearranging them.
I suppose a psychiatrist would delve and say she has no sisters, her Mother long dead, no female children and no female grandchildren so she`s making up for this by surrounding herself with female babies who don`t demand anything like a real baby would have done. Well that`s perhaps what a psychiatrist would say.
As for me, well all I can say, is it a darned expensive collection and it makes her house look and feel weird and her hubby shake his head whenever a new " baby" arrives via Fedex but she quickly tells him he collects motorbikes and her collection is still cheaper, less noisy and takes up less room and I`ve heard her say that !

It's funny you saying that, I was only thinking the other day how much it will upset my two sons when my time comes, and being a hoarder, they'll have to dispose of things I haven't even used, there's not much so won't take me long to get rid, so I've decided to get my house in order. Since I turned fifty, it's been on my mind more and more, I know it's daft but let's face it, we never know the minute.

You're right, we don't know (and thank God ) our signing off date, but I'm nearer the mortuary than the menopause, and with no kids to want anything, I'm already offloading 'stuff' to the charity shop. I've enough crockery to feed a regiment, but those dinner party days are well behind me, 'best' glasses in the cupboard that never get used, ornaments that have no useful purpose, enough vases to fill a florists shop, and I daren't set foot in the garage !!!!! A good clear out always makes you feel better !

Charlie bears are nice teddies though. My daughter went through a phase of loving them and asking for them for birthdays etc. She has a few, and they do have character. Never bought from QVC so don't know if quality different. Agree they are expensive and price seems to be creeping up

i think the worse collecting is "rare" yankee candles. paying hundreds if not thousands for say rainbows end. then what do you know yankee bring it out again for £19.99. i love candles though but will never be a collector

Just checking TVSN Australia online and, although not by much, CBs are cheaper than on QVC! It is a british company, which only managed to attain international recognition/success, because of the popularity (God knows why) in GB, among CB fans. A little bit of loyalty would be nice, for collectors (I'm not one of them). Will and Charlie would do well to remember, why their business is where it is.

Maybe shipping costs to Aus from Far East manufacturers is cheaper? (I don't know where they're made :mysmilie_470: )

Maybe shipping costs to Aus from Far East manufacturers is cheaper? (I don't know where they're made :mysmilie_470: )

Spot on! Australia and New Zealand import a lot from Singapore, Hong Kong and China because it's closer. You won't see European cars very often either.

I don't see them as an investment. It's probable that people who have started to collect them more recently will be looking out for the earlier bears but won't pay much over the original price as they're not rare - seek and you shall find on EBay, charity shops etc.

They sell them in many shops here. Some are dearer and some are cheaper than shopping telly.

Latest posts

Back