Collagen creams branded a sham!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
Report in the Sunday Times today saying that scientists have dismissed claims that the cosmetic can reduce signs of ageing.

A survey says that "the simple fact is that collagen is a huge molecule and the skin is designed to keep such substances out."

It continues: 'This assessmnent could prove embarassing for ELEMIS, a leading British skincare brand which markets collage based beauty creams............Elemis was unavailable for comment but its promotional material says it had commissioned independent clinical trials in 2003 which proved that its Pro Collagen Marine Cream did work.'

Boots and many others have been selling collagen gels and creams for years. Don't understand by they picked only Elemis for comment?

I believe its animal collagen they did tests on before with the same results? But most now use seaweed, well Elemis do.

Andrew from Gatineau and others go on about collagen in their creams too.

They quoted L'Oreal as well, Donna. I used the Elemis quote as that seems relevant to this site.

Oh dear, that's how many bottles of SBC collagen gel down the pan then??? Wonder what your resident beauty expert will 'literally' have to say about that 'for you' 'as well' then.

Hear hear! I have tons of collagen gel too, never been convinced it actually works. Although I remember Lorraine (ex SBC lady) who unfortunately left. She said she used it all the time as a hand cream and I have to say her hands were fab for her age. So who knows?

I loved the SBC collagen gel on my chest as a moisturiser, until I found out (through this forum) that they use marine collagen. Into the bin it went (I'm a strict vegetarian).

Nothing you put on your skin is ever going to get under it and magically get rid of wrinkles and fill in the gaps - O level Biology taught me that, so why it's taken this long for a newspaper to come up with an article is beyond me!

Collagen creams will act as a glorified (expensive) moisturiser and that's about it. It will have some effect in slowing down the effects of weather/environment on our skin - it's whether you want to pay for something with a fancy name to do what a pot of Ponds would probably do just as well.

The only way you're going to get rid of wrinkles (or reduce them) is to resort to something drastic which can get under the skin - like Botox. But heaven knows what you're storing up for the future with these methods as they haven't been around long enough to be able to research the long-lasting effects properly.

At the end of the day, nothing is going to make a huge difference to our skin. We're all going to age, we may as well do it gracefully. So use a moisturiser that you're happy with, that doesn't break the bank and you'll probably achieve just as good results as the more expensive ones (where more often than not, you're paying for a name).

sort of related to this topic, well in the things that people do to try to halt the march of time, there is an article on the Observer website (sorry do not know how to post links) entitled "is 36 the ideal age for a woman" (or words to that effect) and it discusses the recent surgery that Lindsey Lohan is alledged to have had. She is only 24 and appears to have a load of procudures to freeze her in some sort of Hollywood image of what they percieve to be female beauty. It was a really troubling read and also a disturbing view as the pictures of L L and another young woman whose name escapes me were grotesque in my opinion

I loved the SBC collagen gel on my chest as a moisturiser, until I found out (through this forum) that they use marine collagen. Into the bin it went (I'm a strict vegetarian).

Hiya
THe regular pink SBC collagen gel contains plant collagen
The hydra gel collagen serum and the collagen shower cream contain marine collagen from fish in hte north atlantic, I emailed SBC about it ages ago :)

Oh dear, that's how many bottles of SBC collagen gel down the pan then??? Wonder what your resident beauty expert will 'literally' have to say about that 'for you' 'as well' then.

Not sure about the collagen, but most beauty guests go through SBC's arnica gel by the barrel after they've been on with AY! :confused:

Topical collagen creams/gels have never been able to actively replace the collagen beneath the skin, they can only moisturise and plump the skin.

The only thing that can help with collagen production in the body is Vitamin C. It cannot be made without it.

My understanding was there is no collagen in PCMC ... I'm sure I once heard Keeley say one of the ingredients in the cream helps replenish your own collagen levels hence the name. I don't use the product so am not upto speed with the ingredients.

Apparently, the much touted Hyaluronic Acid cannot penetrate the skin either

Topical collagen creams/gels have never been able to actively replace the collagen beneath the skin, they can only moisturise and plump the skin.

The only thing that can help with collagen production in the body is Vitamin C. It cannot be made without it.

And the trouble with Vitamin C is that too much of it can have a laxative effect: so be careful out there! :doh:

ive been saying this for ages. i once posted a thread questioning how QVC were allowed to get away with claims about what collagen products do. i also asked why/how smearing pink goo containing collagen from a plant could possibly do anything for a human being given the small matter of being different species.

SBC lorraine had the barefaced cheek to steal my post from here and published it on her own website providing an answer so tenuous and full of complete twaddle as to be laughable. and then some other nomark off here started licking lorraine's ar*e saying "take no notice off burlybear he's just a trouble maker from ST.com"
couldnt argue with that really :giggle:

although i was annoyed that lorraine just stole the question word for word :wait: honestly if i ever meet her in person i'm going to give her a slap :clapping:

My understanding was there is no collagen in PCMC ... I'm sure I once heard Keeley say one of the ingredients in the cream helps replenish your own collagen levels hence the name. I don't use the product so am not upto speed with the ingredients.

nothing you can buy as a cosmetic can. anything that is capable of penetrating your skin would have to be obtained on prescription, or as a minimum under the control of a pharmacist.

The PCMC contains Padina Pavonica, an algae that is supposed to stimulate glycosaminoglycans or GAG's (can sense some jokes appearing soon!!) which supports and maintains collagen and elastin but again it is at cell level and cannot see how it can penetrate the skin.

Hyaluronic acid applied topically can attract hundreds of times its own weight in water. It is an effective moisturiser and can prevent moisture loss.
It is also used of course injected into the skin (Restylane) to fill out wrinkles.

Last edited:
this information has been out there for a long while and its common sense that topically applied collagen will give you the same effect as throwing your money away....i.e leave you poorer and have no effect on your looks. it just shows what good sales people they have on these channels when you hear about how many they have sold. its almost as daft as those that believe lulu's look have not been helped by any alleged procedures.

ive been saying this for ages. i once posted a thread questioning how QVC were allowed to get away with claims about what collagen products do. i also asked why/how smearing pink goo containing collagen from a plant could possibly do anything for a human being given the small matter of being different species.

SBC lorraine had the barefaced cheek to steal my post from here and published it on her own website providing an answer so tenuous and full of complete twaddle as to be laughable. and then some other nomark off here started licking lorraine's ar*e saying "take no notice off burlybear he's just a trouble maker from ST.com"
couldnt argue with that really :giggle:

although i was annoyed that lorraine just stole the question word for word :wait: honestly if i ever meet her in person i'm going to give her a slap :clapping:

:wave:

And don't I seem to remember that amongst the gobbledegook she came out with she alluded to the fact that the collagen was 'pseudo collagen' ie not really real..?

Latest posts

Back