Diamonique Day TSV 11/09/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My jeweller told me that once they're removed from the sea they dry out and getting them wet again ruins them, so it's the drying out process that actually damages them.

He told me to be careful storing pearls/MOP/opals as they need our skin oils to keep them lubricated or they dry out further.

Yes. I have heard you need to wear opals and they need the oils from your skin.
My grandfather was a jeweller & said that the best way to look after opals was to occasionally wipe them down the outside of your nose - make up free of course! They're my birthstone, which is a shame because I don't like them, & he made me several pieces of beautiful jewellery containing what I call insect eggs.

I have a string of pearls which belonged to my Mum. They`re top class a brand called Mikimoto, just a single strand and I took them to have them restrung. The jeweller told me the ideal way to store pearls is to wrap them in a piece of real silk fabric or in a real silk small drawstring bag, he said in times gone by the boxes or cases pearl jewellery were sold in were always lined in true silk but in recent decades the linings are man made fabrics. He said the silk keeps the pearls from dulling or drying out and because silk is a natural fibre it contains natural oils.

My grandfather was a jeweller & said that the best way to look after opals was to occasionally wipe them down the outside of your nose - make up free of course! They're my birthstone, which is a shame because I don't like them, & he made me several pieces of beautiful jewellery containing what I call insect eggs.
opals are my birthstone I bought a set of earrings and a necklace from clogau in 9 carat gold cant take them off as I love them so much

opals are my birthstone I bought a set of earrings and a necklace from clogau in 9 carat gold cant take them off as I love them so much
Bizarrely I love pearls as much as I dislike opals. I was due to be born in September so have adopted sapphire as my birthstone. I was talking to my sister today & one of her friends has decided to forget this year's birthday, & age increase, because it's been such a lousy year so my Mr T & I are doing the same. I wonder what else I can reinvent about myself? 🤔

I have a pair of really good pearl earrings, simple studs bought way back in the 70s. I was in my first job as the office girl and small jewellers nearby had them in the window. I actually paid for them by the week and at the end was allowed to get them home. They are not the brilliant white you see now but have an almost very light cream look. I cannot remember the amount I paid for them, but think it was in the 40s?

Latest posts

Back