Diet TSV at the end of August

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gotta admit I was tempted until I really looked at the lass presenting it, she certainly looked like she had put a heck of a lot of the weight back on. Bit off putting really. It otherwise is a good idea in theory, for me anyway as I try to be good and then get sidetracked so easily. Would love to lose weight before my holiday but don't think I will be using DC. My mother on the other hand has ordered AD.

Gotta admit I was tempted until I really looked at the lass presenting it, she certainly looked like she had put a heck of a lot of the weight back on. Bit off putting really.

Don't forget that tv puts makes you look a good 10lbs heavier than you are, so that might explain why she looks bigger than her photo.
This wouldn't be for me though, even if I wanted to lose weight, because there's no veggie option, how shortsighted is that?

The other thing that I recall from last night about this tsv is that they keep saying the food will keep for 6 to 12 months. What on earth is in the food that allows it to keep for so long?

It's a good idea in principal but unless you actually have to cook yourself you are learning nothing about healthy meals and changing your diet etc, once you stop buy this food the weight will pile back on.

maybe the tsv is a way to kick start a regime for seriously overweight people in terms of portions, eating habits, etc. mind you, nothing one wouldn't be able to do themselves with a little research.

No good for me as almost all of the main meals have onions in them and I'm allergic to onions:puke:

Mind you I'd certainly lose weight!!

I wouldn't consider a regime like this, there are various reasons it wouldn't be possible for me to have it but what struck me was the breakfasts are all oat based, and what do oats do? Yep, fill you up!! Would be usless for anyone like my mum who is allergic to oats!!

very expensive i think and you still have to prepare stuff yourself - its free to join weight watchers and i paid £5.50 a week for meetings and i lost stone and a half in 5 months i went almost every week for weigh in i used their core plan which is unlimited eating from a list of varied ingredients. I stuck to it even though i put on 3 pounds at christmas by march i had hit my goal of 10% loss of body weight and have not been back to a meeting since , now i have a treat ie either chocolate wine or crisps but not all 3 at once at least 6 times a week! and i have lost a further 5lbs so not far off having lost two stone and never feel like i am on a diet. Its your mind and thoughts you have to change not eating a pre packaged meal thats helping someone else to pay their mortgage.

I was thinking of going for this but good old QVC have saved me from spending as there is no veggie option. I previously have done the tesco ediet and that helped me loads as it gave you recipes that were very quick and you could tailor it to you, and it was alot cheaper using fresh ingrediants and you know what goes into it. It also taught you portion control and gave you tips on exercise.

On the subject of diets and eating plans, www.sparkpeople.com is a great site. Allows you to track calories, fat, carbs, protein and a whole host of other things. Will even work out meal plans for you and is highly customisable to the individual.

They also have an app you can put on an iphone or ipod touch so you can enter food etc on the go.

The best part? It's absolutely free :cool2:

I have to confess i have not even watched a demo of this yet as im at work but for anyone who is interested, take a look at Wilshire Farm Foods. My outlaws get all their meals delivered from them - although not a diet regime they do cater for low fat, diabetics, intollerances etc.

I know Choppysocks has been very pleased with this diet, although she didn't have too much weight to lose in the first place, only about 10lbs or so I think?
I also know that Choppy is smart & perfectly capable of recreating a similar regime herself from scratch but went for this as she is also probably ever so slightly inherently lazy (lol) & in the same position, with only a few pounds to shift, I'd probably go for this too, as all the work is done for you! lol

In that position, this is actually pretty much a no effort, quick fix, providing you have the willpower & determination to continue along the same lines once those last few pounds have gone & in Choppy's case, she will have but for those who become totally reliant on it & don't start making actual lifestyle changes, I guess it would be a very expensive long-term option & for some could prove difficult to leave behind eventually without immediately returning to old habits?

The biggest issue I could see wasn't the price, the biggest issue was that the meals looked like something I would hesitate to feed to my cats.

When you are dieting, you are by definition not eating as much, so the things that you do eat should be really nice, not look like something you would find on the floor outside a nightclub at 3am on a weekend!

It looks disgusting, and you still have to buy the vegetables to go with it.

Much cheaper, healthier and better quality to make it yourself.

I'm not interested, even thought I need to lose a fair bit of weight, because I'm vegetarian. What really put me off though was visions of a sweaty chef stirring a huge vat of slop, with it then being piped off and squirted into pouches. Yeuch. I've managed to lose 7lbs so far just by eating less and eating less rubbish. It's hard for sure, but it can be done :) (BTW, I need to lose about 6 stone!)

I agree Miss Marple it doesn't look very nice although I was initially tempted but that's a lot of money to spend in a month we don't spend that on our food shop in a month and they are meals that can easily be made in advance I've got similar recipes from my WW cookshop and they are much more appetising but for me the price is totally ridiculous not for the likes of me

From what I can see, the food on diet chef is all available in good supermarkets
Waitrose sell the nakd fruit bars and I think they're £2.99 for 6..quite expensive, also the nairns biscuits, and the packs of granola. The regular sized pack of granola costs £4.99 ..sorry don't know the weight of the pack offhand, but it looks as though they send individual packs and I don't know where they're sold. The main meals and the soups are definitely from the look what we've found range, which are a range of microwavable stews, soups and casseroles, that don't need refrigeration. Think they sell at about £3 per pack.

I would think that the diet chef company has struck up a deal with the manufacturers involved and they supply the goods in plain packaging and diet chef TM will stick their own labels on. I think if you were to buy the items individually from the supermarket, it would work out quite dear, so possibly money wise, the deal's quite good value for money.

Check out this website and see what you think! www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk

The only thing about this diet I'd say wasn't so good, is that it's obviously portioned out for the needs of one person, which is fine if you are a single person living alone, but if you have a family to feed as well, I'd imagine that it could be quite a lot of hassle. Also, £156 pounds out of your grocery allowance is an awful lot just to spend on food for yourself, and of course you still have to buy all the fruit, veg and milk you will need to compliment the diet. Probably a good fix for someone who needs to lose a little weight quickly for an upcoming event say, but as a serious long term eating plan, I have my doubts.

I think the food is probably good quality for what it is, but I really don't think there's any "ready meal" that's going to be as good as something cooked from scratch from fresh ingredients..unless you're the worst cook in the world of course lol!

Last edited:
I would be tempted by something like this purely from an utterly lazy point of view but then, being utterly lazy is what made me overweight in the first place so it doesn't really help change your mindset does it?! plus the meals look disgusting and if you have to cook extra veggies etc to go with them then why not cook a whole meal?

One thing that has helped me shift a few pounds is spending a Sunday afternoon once a month making veggie bolognaise and chili in big batches and freezing small portions. My downfall was always the evenings when i get home late after rehearsal and I ended up getting takeaway on the way home. Now I take a portion out of the freezer in the morning and when I get home late, I bung it in the microwave. I have a small portion of heathy food, I know what went into it coz i made it myself and it cost pennies in comparison to takeaways/noodles/pizza etc. Takes a bit of organisation but it's so worth it and I feel so much better for it. My husband is well pleased too as he's lost a few pounds and as we haven't been exercising much we reckon it's down to this small change.

Tx

The best way to stay in trim is IMHO is to eat small portions of food you enjoy and exercise. when you dish your dinner up dont pile on the food on the plate, just do say 1 dollop of mash, 3 slices of meat, 2 roast tatos or one, plenty of mixed veg and a little gravy job done! light brekkie and a little snack in the day. Drink plenty of water or tea. keep active as much as possible prevention is better then cure.

Looking good should work out alot cheaper then maintaining home. Alot of people in my neighbourhood seem to feel that as long as thei garden looks good and the grass is cut that their bodys not important but IMHO your looks are far more important as people see you, not to say everything else is not important. You cannot take your gardeb out with you can you!

Don't forget that tv puts makes you look a good 10lbs heavier than you are, so that might explain why she looks bigger than her photo.
This wouldn't be for me though, even if I wanted to lose weight, because there's no veggie option, how shortsighted is that?

I know it does and I did take that into consideration, but she looked a heck of a lot bigger than her 'after' photo. It just makes you think 'Oh great so you lose all the weight and then put it all straight back on again.' Mind what she was wearing with all the ruffles didn't do her any favours either.

My Mum called up and cancelled her order this morning after I looked on the Diet Chef site, saw the better choices and worked out that it actually was cheaper getting it from them direct! We are now giving it thought before we decide.

looks are not the 'be all and end all' Dazzler :) what's inside if far more important.

well of course Mrsjames that goes without saying!!!!! That is very true and you are lucky because you have both mrsJames lovely inside and out.

i was just trying to point out that people were saying that the food costed alot of money on the tsv and I was just trying to point out that if you wanted to do any form of healthy eating it can be done cheaper, and was saying its cheaper to maintain your looks then your home referring to some people I know. xxx

Latest posts

Back