Easiyo - advice please before I start

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lizgregs

Registered Shopper
Excellent delivery of Easiyo maker this morning from QVC but before I make my first lot, I am seeking the advice of all the experts on here to make the best and most cost effective use of my purchase. All hints and tips welcomed !!!!

I ordered a starter kit which has the maker, measuring jug, recipe booklet and Greek yog with coconut by the way.

Many thanks in eager anticipation

Easi-Yo lover Barb reporting for duty Ma'am!

Probably the best tip I can give you is that whenever you decide you want to make it - make sure you draw the water from the tap a couple of hours before at least. The water in our taps is very cold and can sometimes stop the yoghurt from setting. So draw it off and leave it somewhere warmish to get to room temperature afore ye make your yoggy.

For me, personally I find 8 hours isn't quite long enough - I usually leave mine for 12, but it can stay in the maker for up to 24 hours with no worries.

If the weather is exceptionally cold, add an extra 1cm of boiling water above the top of the baffle in the maker...

HTH a bit...:nod:

While reading this I was actually eating my home-made yogurt. In fact, I eat 1 litre every day, one-third of a jar after every meal as I really love the flavour of the plain.

BUT GUESS WHAT - - - - I am now eating the 770th litre made from just one packet of Easiyo powder, from a batch I started in 2009!!!!

And it tastes MUCH better than the 1st litre I made from the packet, which tasted a bit artificial to me.

Just take about 10g (about a dessert spoon full) from each batch to make the next one, but instead of using water you have to use milk. I use the cheapest Value UHT skimmed milk, and it still tastes creamy, and costs about 50P per litre.

To be honest, I don't see the point of using the Easiyo sachets because it works out more expensive than buying yogurt from the shop! You can also make it using a spoonful of shop-bought live yogurt.

Last edited:
I stopped buying Easiyo as I couldn't get it to set whatever I tried. I love Muller Greek Style corners with rhubarb and buy them when they're on offer - yum.

Thanks for your replies and I am liking the take a bit off and make the next lot from that in particular!!!!!

I took some water from the tap and left it on the side while I went out this morning, what with living in the frigid North. Have mixed my first lot per instructions and have left the pot just on the side in the kitchen - is that right or should I have put it in the fridge???? If it is a success, I will perhaps try other flavours like peach (much though I love chocolate and toffee, I can't bear them as yoghurt flavour, yuk, yuk, yuk!) and the plain so I can add my own bits to it.

Any more hints and tips gratefully accepted from you experts. Reporting back later - may be tomorrow if I leave it overnight.

Because I make so much yogurt, I buy loads of milk.

Yesterday I dropped a box of 12 litres of milk when I came back from the shops.

6 of the cartons burst open, spilling about 5 litres of milk all over the carpet (that's well over a GALLON!!!).

I tried to suck it up with an electric carpet cleaner which I bought from QVC years ago, and had never before used it. In fact, it still had some packaging materials on it, but I am so glad now that I fell for the speil and bought it.

I then used it to rinse the carpet with plain water, then shampooed it.

It is still very damp, and I am hoping it will not stink of sour milk in a day or two, as this will need a new carpet.

You're right toeave it out whilst it 'cooks'. I'd second Barb's advice abiut the temperature of the water, though I just run it a bit warmer through the mixer tap till its about body temp. If I stick my hand in it and I can't feel it cold then its fine. I leave mine for about 6-8 hours, I find it a bit tart if I leave it longer.
I tried to make it without a sachet once but it was a disaaaaaster daaarling so I've never tried again, I buy the flavoured sachets but not from La Q, unless they have boxes in the outlet shop, which they sometimes do, otherwise I buy them online with free p&p, which as always makes the qvc ones expensive.

I lurve my easiyo. :heart:

Last edited:
Oh no Strato !!! Milk is just awful spilt anywhere, even a small amount. Bicarbonate of soda mixed in water and scrubbed into carpet works a treat on getting rid of the smell - or at least it did when we had some spilt in the car and again when OH bought a car that smelt odd. Might need a good bit of bicarb in your case because of the amount spilt but worth a go. If you have accidental damage on your house insurance contents, you may well be able to claim for a new carpet.

i had a strawberry kit given to me i really did not like it very artificial tasting and far tooo sweet.. i love rachaels organic much cleaner and fresher tasting....

While reading this I was actually eating my home-made yogurt. In fact, I eat 1 litre every day, one-third of a jar after every meal as I really love the flavour of the plain.

BUT GUESS WHAT - - - - I am now eating the 770th litre made from just one packet of Easiyo powder, from a batch I started in 2009!!!!

And it tastes MUCH better than the 1st litre I made from the packet, which tasted a bit artificial to me.

Just take about 10g (about a dessert spoon full) from each batch to make the next one, but instead of using water you have to use milk. I use the cheapest Value UHT skimmed milk, and it still tastes creamy, and costs about 50P per litre.

To be honest, I don't see the point of using the Easiyo sachets because it works out more expensive than buying yogurt from the shop! You can also make it using a spoonful of shop-bought live yogurt.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's long-life milk,the thought of it makes me heave. When you make your yogurt Stratobuddy does it have that distinctive taste of longlife milk? thanks

Easi-Yo lover Barb reporting for duty Ma'am!

Probably the best tip I can give you is that whenever you decide you want to make it - make sure you draw the water from the tap a couple of hours before at least. The water in our taps is very cold and can sometimes stop the yoghurt from setting. So draw it off and leave it somewhere warmish to get to room temperature afore ye make your yoggy.

For me, personally I find 8 hours isn't quite long enough - I usually leave mine for 12, but it can stay in the maker for up to 24 hours with no worries.

If the weather is exceptionally cold, add an extra 1cm of boiling water above the top of the baffle in the maker...

HTH a bit...:nod:
Couldn't have said it any better barb lol. I leave my easiyo to set for at least 12 hours and if it's really cold (I live in Scotland) I will wrap a kitchen cloth around the easiyo maker just to keep the warmth in.

I've just tried the greek n coconut for the first time and it's blooming lovely. Can't see that lasting long in my fridge (I've got two children that love yogurt).

If there's one thing I can't stand it's long-life milk,the thought of it makes me heave. When you make your yogurt Stratobuddy does it have that distinctive taste of longlife milk? thanks

I've been using UHT for years for everything and now prefer the taste to ordinary milk (just like I prefer tea without sugar since I gave it up).

But I honestly don't notice any UHT taste in the yogurt, only yogurt flavour.

BTW I believe it is safer to use UHT milk as it is sterile, whereas some recipes using ordinary milk say you shouid sterilise it first by scalding.

Every now and then a batch goes wrong, and it turns out all lumpy and curdled and foul-smelling and has to be thrown away. But as I said, I am now on the 770th litre. In the past I've got up to several hundreds before it went wrong, occasionally only a dozen or so. I've never found out why it happens.

Apprentice yoghurt maker reporting back on first lot.

It's worked !!! And tastes fantastic to boot. As I made it yesterday afternoon, I left it overnight and it had set a treat when I went to it this morning. Great texture and taste, though I saw so myself, so think I will try another flavour or two - perhaps peach and plain so I could add stuff....

Thanks a lot for all your advice x

Thanks to your advice in a previous thread stratobuddy, I now make yoghurt WITHOUT Easiyo sachets. My main difference being, I don't keep making it all the time but buy a small carton of live yoghurt if needed for a few pence, far less cost. I tried it with milk and dried milk but wasn't that impressed but my trick is evaporated milk. I pay 45p for Aldi's and top up with water and the results are so creamy. Probably not the most healthy ways but as me and the MR have it as is, not so bad. One thing I wish I had done was purchased this electric yohurt maker http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p3440/Electric-Yoghurt-Maker from Lakeland, not the Easiyo, theres some great reviews for it on there including lots of different methods and recipes.

Apprentice reporting again ! This is going to be very, very addictive I think. Done a mango one and that has set perfectly - made it before I went to bed so it could set overnight - and is yummy. Have just bought uht skimmed milk and am giving Strato's version a go with the spoonful of the greek and coconut so fingers crossed!

I have ordered some other flavours from a firm in Blackpool including apple and blackberry which I think is a new one.

What did you do and what happened?????

I tried doing the thing like you said with the cheapo milk and a bit of made yog from the last batch etc. it just died, didn't turn yoghurty. Ive. Ever had a duff batch from an easiyo pack so i know my technique's ok :)wink:). I do keep saying I'll have another go but I've never got round to it.

Latest posts

Back