Elemis TSV 8/11/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It is not necessarily the beauty cosmetic/skincare but the Kitchen mixer they seem to get free costing £££ the Dyson hair stylers again at £££ they get free. And the oh look what I got given to me in times when many have or will lose their jobs thrust into their faces.

I know in the high-end beauty mags Vogue etc at the end of shoots anyone working there can take products and I mean beauty home with them they are brand new but will not be used again in other photoshoots. I actually used to buy expensive niche perfume from someone on eBay who said they worked on a photoshoot and what they were selling was unused but opened to be photographed. I got about 70% off compared to buying from a shop.

I’m baffled by the surprise/antagonism on this forum at presenters being given “freebies” of products. It’s just how the sales industry works. I had a relative who used to work for a travel agents and was regularly sent on trips abroad, purely so she could come back and sell the cruises or whatever more effectively by talking from personal experience.

So if I worked at QVC and I was expected to shift tens of thousands of units of anything, I’d absolutely insist on being given a sample so I could try it myself and sound like I knew what I was talking about.

In this case it’s a tiny write-off for Elemis/QVC. Suppose each set costs £50 and, on the biggest TSV day of the year, they have 150,000 to get rid of (although I know it’s more than that). That’s seven and a half MILLION pounds in sales. Giving a free one to ten or twenty presenters to generate that volume of return is a drop in the ocean and, business-wise, a hugely cost-effective use of resources.

People are just commenting, we’re not surprised or antagonistic or even give a toss, just commenting and no it’s not how the retail industry works at all, in fact, every shop on the high street or online staff don’t get freebies, they may get free samples off a brand but certainly not a £400 Dyson, £700 TV or £55 Elemis TSVs. The only people who get freebies, as far as the retail industry goes, are the ever self serving, self promoting lovers of all things QVC, QVC presenters. Who on earth would buy a product just because a presenter who works for that very same company, raves about it who gets it for free, certainly not the majority of us. Also it’s like the food they get free too, what they might love the taste of, someone else might not, same with the smell of an Elemis TSV, so what’s the point? It’s that old saying though isn’t it “how do you know when a QVC presenter is lying?.......their lips move”

How would it work out if you went to your local store to buy some expensive skin care. The assistant says ‘ I get all this stuff free, do you want to see it all?’ Then all the rest of the staff that work there come over to show you all their free stuff too. Hmmmmm........

I’m not in the least surprised about the freebies QVC presenters get and don’t think anyone else here is. On the contrary, we are all fully aware of the practice and know it’s how marketing works for brands in telly sales, same as beauty blogging.

What does annoy me, however, is the “nose rubbing”, even if it’s not intentional, and the sheer pointlessness. Presenters would never admit they hadn’t tried a product even if the people at Elemis or wherever had left their address off the list. As if any of them would ever say anything bad about something they are selling anyway. It’s all an act. It’s the best thing they had ever tried even if they only just opened a jar 3 seconds ago on air. They LUUUUURVE it and use it regularly, as well as every single other product they have been on air with. Fortunately, I and hopefully everyone else on here knows not to take what they say as a recommendation to buy. That’s why we have this forum - to get the truth and genuine recommendations from everyday people who have not had an incentive to push something.

That’s my Sunday Morning Ramble complete.

I’m not in the least surprised about the freebies QVC presenters get and don’t think anyone else here is. On the contrary, we are all fully aware of the practice and know it’s how marketing works for brands in telly sales, same as beauty blogging.

What does annoy me, however, is the “nose rubbing”, even if it’s not intentional, and the sheer pointlessness. Presenters would never admit they hadn’t tried a product even if the people at Elemis or wherever had left their address off the list. As if any of them would ever say anything bad about something they are selling anyway. It’s all an act. It’s the best thing they had ever tried even if they only just opened a jar 3 seconds ago on air. They LUUUUURVE it and use it regularly, as well as every single other product they have been on air with. Fortunately, I and hopefully everyone else on here knows not to take what they say as a recommendation to buy. That’s why we have this forum - to get the truth and genuine recommendations from everyday people who have not had an incentive to push something.

That’s my Sunday Morning Ramble complete.

And I too don't agree with Radiomike as 'this is how the sales industry works'. I was selling property for over 20 years, but I didn't get to try out a house, or get a freebie flat !! but if I worked for QVC I wouldn't have to worry about paying the mortgage, as everything from bedding to kitchenware to garden equipment would be either bought at a knockdown price or given as a freebie. A bit like having the run of a department store.

Clothescloth is also right, in that shop assistants do not get freebies to recommend to their customers, just staff discount, which in a lot of cases is derisory. Yes there are 'perks' in a lot of jobs - although I struggle to remember what benefit I got in working for an Aggregate company after my stint in property.

How would it work out if you went to your local store to buy some expensive skin care. The assistant says ‘ I get all this stuff free, do you want to see it all?’ Then all the rest of the staff that work there come over to show you all their free stuff too. Hmmmmm........
A woman I know's granddaughter got a maternity leave cover at an Estee Lauder counter. The girl is in her 20s and a large box arrived with EL skincare for up to mature skin worth £££, then another box arrived with all their cosmetics and perfumes. The rule was she was not allowed to sell any of its instant dismissals so she was giving the products not suited to her around the family.

It's never talked about but well known that every month each beauty brand gives a free allocation of products to the staff. New products are always given to staff, they go training and at the end told to take whatever they want. I was once given a bottle of Annick Goutal perfume by a friend who went training and told to take up to six bottles home with her. She didn't bose about it just asked if I would like a bottle? Yes, please.

Before I worked for the NHS I used to work in my local chemist, were we got absolutely sweet FA, the thing is though I didn’t even expect anything or want anything I hadn’t worked or paid for so I think that says a lot about the presenters, they’re a bunch of greedy bar stewards who think the world owes them a living.

Is this the first Elemis TSV to sell out completely for a while? If so, I wonder if it'll be put down to the seemingly endless clips of presenters opening their box? I hope not as then we'll have even more of it.

We all know they get freebies but they're salespeople not 'influencers' so why they have to be shown getting them is beyond me.

I'd love to know how many viewers have seen the clips and have bought it as a direct result?

As someone who isn't 'influenced' at all by random people online or selly telly salespeople, I find the comments from not-so-subtle nose-rubbing to outright bragging completely off-putting.

Is this the first Elemis TSV to sell out completely for a while? If so, I wonder if it'll be put down to the seemingly endless clips of presenters opening their box? I hope not as then we'll have even more of it.

We all know they get freebies but they're salespeople not 'influencers' so why they have to be shown getting them is beyond me.

I'd love to know how many viewers have seen the clips and have bought it as a direct result?

As someone who isn't 'influenced' at all by random people online or selly telly salespeople, I find the comments from not-so-subtle nose-rubbing to outright bragging completely off-putting.
It had the opposite effect on me. I did consider buying it, but got so pissed off with the whole charade over the past week, I chose not to.

I've been in retailing for 49+ years, my first proper job was in an exclusive shoe shop where shoes started at £150 a pair, a lot of money all those years ago, I've sold TV's, appliances, cosmetics, food, jewellery, toys etc, and in all the places I've worked I've never had a freebie.
I now sell books and I remember a customer asking me about a title, I said I knew it had received good reviews but I hadn't read it myself, she appeared surprised that we didn't get a free copy of all the titles we stock so we could make recommendations 'from personal experience'

When I worked for loreal the amount of freebies was either all or nothing, u I could get something every week then nothing for months, special huge sizes of perfumes and hair products were what we recieved most often. As mentioned couldn't sell any them when working for the company, tho I flogged most of it once I left. I really like some of the elemis products but the last year I got a new client who's spa uses it and tends to offer to get it at salon prices now

Latest posts

Back