Facebook Post & Reply re Jill Franks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I actually don't give a flying fig what presenters claim to use or not.I don't care.
I am slightly bemused at times, and I did hear Jill F waxing lyrical to Richard Ward about how his products had revolutionised her hair routine and the following day saying the very same to Philip Kingsley!!
She is no worse than any of the others though.

Whoever has complained to the powers that be clearly has a bee in their bonnet about JF,it seems quite churlish and vindictive to me.

As my kids would say whoever it is "needs to get a life"!!

No need to be mean..

I think its a shame that someone had to do this publicly, wrong, wrong, wrong. I think if they had a complaint the decent thing to do would have been to write to qvc and send in their name and address for a reply, but they most probably didn't want to do that.

The presenters are meant to enthuse about the products they show, obviously. Could you imagine if they didn't how dull that would be. We all have brains (well some do:happy:) and can sift through the hype to decide if we want/need that product.

I don't think anyone is telling porkie pies here just being very enthusuastic, and most probably they do enjoy using the variety of freebie stuff they are lucky enough to get and try out before hand.

The decent thing would have not had the misleading statements being said in the first place, but that point seems to have been lost in a rush of posts blaming not the person making the misleading statements but the person objecting to them. Anyway, I'll leave this thread now as I said all I have to say on the matter.

Last edited:
I 'm sure that most of the posters on this forum are too canny and clued-up to fall for an obvious sales pitch. I think that presenters like Craig and JF, to mention the worst two in my opinion, actually do the products a disservice as I don't trust a word they say.
I cannot see what is wrong in saying to the guest "I was given some of your shampoo to try last week and my hair looked really soft and bouncy" or words to that effect. To the viewer "do give it a try, I'm sure you will not be disappointed".
Instead, we have claims that the featured product has revolutionised their beauty routine/bedroom decor/cooking skills and they would use nothing else - until the next guest appears. Yes, it is all puff, yes, they are paid to flog the wares, we know and accept this and often laugh about it but they should be able to highlight a product's strengths without telling outright lies - that is the real skill and one that should be encouraged by those who employ them.

harsh words against the person who complained. As a consumer they have every right to complain - who knows - perhaps they had fallen for the JF amayyyyyyyzing yak on a couple of products and was feeling suitably stung.

It's about time QVC reigned in some of the worst offenders, JF isnt the only one (though absolutely one of the worst). I know they are selling, but they tell huge blatant lies. Atremis above hit the nail in the head, general positive comments about products are good and acceptable. The chronic 'I love this and use it every day and am never without it blah blah blah' is old and us stalwarts KNOW it is pants!

It's good on one hand that QVC has for once seen to take a customer complaint seriously, usually if they do deign to give you a response, it's a standard one telling us how good they are and how they look forward to keeping up the good standard of service. Actually some years back they did listen to a lot of us who complained about a guest presenter using some rather dubious dog training methods, and stopped all dealings, but that's one thing complaining about cruelty to animals (Basso for example) than complaining about the manner in which a presenter presents.

I was amazed reading some of the coments on here. A consumer has a reasonable right to expect a service from a company. the service incl. not to be told outright lies. All sales people seem to strech the lines here at times it seems, and QVC is no worse then anyone else. But surely the customer has the right to complain if they percieved to have been told an outright lie - something incidentially that over the year or so that I have read this forum people have actually also complained about, and if my memory serves me right it even involved JF as well. If you recieve bad service from a company - and that would include the credibility of a company representative - which could harm QVC in the long run, then they should do something about it as the sales person is failing in their duty to represent the company or company values. How would a big company do something about this kind of thing unless someone tells you? And as far as doing this publicly on FB - well that is the other side of the social forum. You have an exchange of ideas on a forum operated by the company and members of the public then you might also get to hear something you are not going to like. That is the nature of the beast.

It is her job to be enthusiastic, but not to make false claims that she uses everything at the same time.

I was thinking that it shows that we all watch too much QVC to she that she is repeating herself so much! But if you were thinking about a new shampoo you probably would watch all the different brands.

Is the problem that Jill makes fake claims about the results of products ie...This cream got rid of my fine lines and wrinkles altogether?
OR
Is it that she is makes fake claims to use and love EVERY product she sells?

If it's the former then that is not right,If It's the latter then they all do that especially Ali Young and Craig Rowe...and every car salesman I've ever met especially the one that told me the bag of poo Peugeot I bought was the best purchase I would ever make ha!

You know when you're watching a great film and really getting caught up in it?

Then you see a zip on a period costume, a wobbly set, a cameraman reflected in a glass surface or a fuzzy microphone drops into shot and it spoils it for you?

Every time it's completely obvious to me that JF is just lying it spoils the entertainment value of QVC for me.

Why can't she just do her prep work and give the products a try?

And if that's all that she's done and given them a quick try then she can say she liked it - but she can't say she can't live without it / doesn't use anything else etc.

The bottom line is that there are laws about lying on TV and QVC would be crazy if they didn't take complaints like this seriously.

Alison Young has a series of caveats that she uses to explain her use of a particular product, but I've never ever in 14+ years ever felt that not only does she not use this product she's never seen it before - and I get that from Jill far to often.

Would anyone be persuaded to buy a product on the basis that JF (or any other presenter) has said that they use it every day or they can't live without it? I certainly wouldn't.

Would anyone be persuaded to buy a product on the basis that JF (or any other presenter) has said that they use it every day or they can't live without it? I certainly wouldn't.

I wouldn't either..I don't take that much notice of the ramblings from presenters about this n that.I am more offended by a presenter speeking as though I am a four year old buying sweeties.:talking:

Alison Young has a series of caveats that she uses to explain her use of a particular product, but I've never ever in 14+ years ever felt that not only does she not use this product she's never seen it before - and I get that from Jill far to often.

I'm not going to reply to the facebook post as I will get backlash but one comment on facebook said "Well Alison Young says the same as Jill Franks". Yes she may but she is "our resident beauty expert":sweat: and she has to try products out.

No I absolutely wouldn't buy anything if I could tell she was lying. And sometimes when I catch her telling fibs I turn over as well, because I just can't listen to her treating us all like we're stupid and as if we have the memory of a goldfish. Not the reaction QVC would hope from a viewer, I'm sure.

I make my own mind up about whether I want to try something or not, and I certainly wouldn't take the recommendation of the salesperson trying to flog it to me. Been burned like that in the past. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard JF say she 'cannot live without' such and such a product, usually whatever she is flogging at that precise moment, so no longer take any notice of what she says - cos that's all she and all the others are, glorified shop assistants!

Biggest cases in point were her raving about how she uses Decleor all the time and cannot live without their balms and oils, then on with Liz Earle and cannot live without her Superbalm Concentrate. Then Perricone and she couldn't live without their moisturisers...

Richard Ward on Beauty Day, couldn't live without his hair care range (and it turns out she is responsible for naming it...) then on with Phillip Kingsley raving about how she cannot live without his range...then on with Ken Paves raving about how she cannot live without his hairpieces and how great they are when she's having a bad hair day - well, with all the cocking 'cannot live without' hair care ranges she uses on QVC she shouldn't ever have a bad hair day ever again!

Oh dear. Sorry, mini rant over...:sun:

JF is a highly paid presenter on shopping telly, therefore, it is absolutely right and fitting that she is pulled up about her sales technique if someone deems it appropriate. Not everyone watching shopping telly is savvy and bright enough to realise that certain people will say anything in order to make a sale. The sad fact of the matter is that there are many vulnerable people who use QVC and other such channels for almost all their shopping needs, and indeed, for company and the sound of a hopefully friendly voice. Quite a proportion of people watching are not savvy and wise to the ways of the persuasive techniques used by some presenters, and they make the huge mistake of believing that the people fronting the channel are their personal friends. As such, they take notice when a presenter seems especially enthusiastic about a product, and are more likely to make a purchase if someone is telling them that this item has "revolutionised" their life, they "wouldn't dream of using anything else" etc. Yes, we would just laugh and probably come on here and take the p*ss at the ludicrous sales tactics of a person who, apparently, can't live without any single product she presents. But there are a lot of lonely people who feel a connection to presenters they see almost everyday, and their vulnerability shouldn't be played on by cynical hard-sell merchants.
I don't watch any of the shopping channels anymore, but when I did view the presentations, I used to get peed off at JF and her insistence that she couldn't live without every sodding product she laid her 'girly' hands on. More than that, however, I was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazed that she got away with her stupid beliefs that for instance Kipling bags were invented by Rudyard Kipling, and all sorts of other idiotic garbage. And as I've said before, she should have been berated in the strongest way for her crass response to a t-caller whose young daughter had just died of cancer, and I would like to think that that particular unforgiveable gaffe merited somewhat more censure than her rabbiting on about loving everything and being unable to live without whatever crappy product she was showcasing. I was waiting for the day when she would tell us that she "couldn't live without" her Betty dyes, and the care of her pubes had been "revolutionised" by the latest colour in Murky Mudflaps, which Larry just adored as it was so girly and turned her pubes pink...

QVC is part of the service industry, and if the people being served (are you free Mr Humphries) wish to complain, then that is their right. Apart from anything else, it must have made a change from the usual sychophantic drivel posted on their Facebook page.

Other presenters guilty of the same thing should also be told in no uncertain terms that there is a fine line between pushing a product and making it seem like the holy grail of consumerist delight, and CS should be told that we are not viewing her from our playpens in the kindergarten, and that perhaps she should leave the CBeebies voice at homey-womey.

Latest posts

Back