Festive Crafts with Sara Davies TSV 17/08/23

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ve never heard of this woman but I don’t do crafting so maybe that’s why. I had an email from Q today about her range for the home. Well, it says she has curated the collection and she has obviously lent it her name - not sure if she has actually been involved in the design of it like Amanda Holden has, I believe, or just picked it out. Anyway, it looks like she’s moving into Alison Cork’s space.

Sara Davies

I'm trying to get back into crafting; all the stuff I bought 15-20 years ago from Q or Ballen & Arry I had in the loft and apart from a few dried up items it's all stored perfectly. I haven't watched much craft telly either in the intervening years, so I'm finding my way around the C&C and Hobby Maker websites like a novice; I might wander over the the Craft Telly forum for a mooch.

So I'm starting with an Anna Griffin Xmas TSV from Lord knows when and, although I find her card samples too fussy, it means her elements go a very long way.

The Crafters' Companion "style" also isn't really me either, so if I buy anything it might not be a kit; more likely I'd just buy odd items direct or from ebay. Their best demonstrator is Craig - very clear and easy to listen too, I find Debbie (not Bibby) rather jarring and loud...I'm not sure it's all down to Scottish accent versus Estuary accent, because I'm surrounded by the latter here in Sussex.

The last time I crafted in earnest die-cutting was more niche and I still have a Quickutz hand tool (stop tittering!) and a Revolution which still works for lots of dies as long as they fit on the 4" x 12" platform. As Merryone said, I mostly cut out items by hand back in the day. I rather like the process so I don't want to churn out lots of identikit cards quickly.

Regardless of Sara and others saying you can sell cards for a few quid each, I'm not sure. Every school or church fete near me and a few post office counters have unsold home made cards that don't sell for <50p each. As a business designing and flogging craft supplies would seem to be the better business model sadly.

I think you will find that Sara has been designing and producing for many years now and was on QVC before they kicked craft into touch and before Amanda Holden or Alison Cork were twinkles in QVC’s eye. She’s worked hard to build up her business and it is big in the US as well as here. I admire her, but I can only watch her craft in small doses.

I think you will find that Sara has been designing and producing for many years now and was on QVC before they kicked craft into touch and before Amanda Holden or Alison Cork were twinkles in QVC’s eye. She’s worked hard to build up her business and it is big in the US as well as here. I admire her, but I can only watch her craft in small doses.
You have to admire her, She started up when she was at Uni

I agree, all credit to Sara from starting up I think with one product which was a gadget for making envelopes and now she's a very successful business woman. I just find her a bit false and too in your face. I did see the TSV but I thought it was a bit unimaginative, too blue and too many snowflakes so I passed. I've still got a ton of Anna Griffin items in the loft that I could do with using up.

CC

I preferred Dawn Bibby, and spent a fortune on 'bits' when she was on. Thing with home made cards is the lack of inside verse, so its basically just a decorated front cover on a fold up bit of card. I remember Dawn had the bubble cards filled with sparkle and I did buy those - something you don't see now. Yes, I've been to craft fairs and there are some really lovely home mades with a lot of effort, but they never sell for more than £1.50 so its more of a love to do it hobby rather than a business.

Latest posts

Back