Flinty's looking fuller

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Mum wore more layers than an onion and right up until the day she died, she never changed. First she`d put on an all in one corset (think Miss Mary Of Sweden) with big hooks and eyes down the front, straps the width of belts and suspenders at least 2 inches wide with big metal hooks on the end of them and rubber buttons which went under stocking tops,
This would then be followed with an airtex vest and matching airtex knickers with a long leg which practically reached her knees. She wore thick stockings (think Nora Batty) because she had leg ulcers and the thick stockings helped to camouflage the bandages.
Her final layer before her clothes was a full length slip with what were called built up straps and then finally she`d put on her dress and cardigan.
One Winter she badly broke her arm and had surgery, pins in it, a full cast and a sling and try as I might to get her to forget the corset and wear tights , she was having none of it. Consequently every morning I traipsed up there to help load her into her scaffolding because you certainly couldn`t call it lingerie or even underwear !

My Mum wore more layers than an onion and right up until the day she died, she never changed. First she`d put on an all in one corset (think Miss Mary Of Sweden) with big hooks and eyes down the front, straps the width of belts and suspenders at least 2 inches wide with big metal hooks on the end of them and rubber buttons which went under stocking tops,
This would then be followed with an airtex vest and matching airtex knickers with a long leg which practically reached her knees. She wore thick stockings (think Nora Batty) because she had leg ulcers and the thick stockings helped to camouflage the bandages.
Her final layer before her clothes was a full length slip with what were called built up straps and then finally she`d put on her dress and cardigan.
One Winter she badly broke her arm and had surgery, pins in it, a full cast and a sling and try as I might to get her to forget the corset and wear tights , she was having none of it. Consequently every morning I traipsed up there to help load her into her scaffolding because you certainly couldn`t call it lingerie or even underwear !

1598990672058.jpeg

Vienna. Did we share a childhood? My mother wore those dreadful corsets, and vests, and slips with built up straps. And when she got very old and unable to do it herself, I was the one who had to buy replacements.... and it isn't very easy in this day and age, especially when shopping for Mrs. Difficult. Thankfully the corsets were abandoned reasonably early on and she wore tights so no need for suspenders. I seem to recall nagging her to death about her ridiculous underwear, why should women force themselves into such discomfort etc etc. The vests were never missed off though.

Mrs Difficult :D:D:D I've got one of those as well, in fact going to visit this weekend. Thankfully she gets her very ordinary underwear from M&S so no need for me to help :LOL::LOL:

CC

Ha ! ha ! those corset are fashionable to the ones my Mum wore til the day she died. They never had an inclusive bra, but were always a sickly salmon pink, were boned, and laced up at the back. Yes they had suspenders, but were done up at the front with hooks and eyes; and like Vienna's Mum, mine also wore enough layers to keep an eskimo warm. Airtex vest, corset, bra, petticoat, full size airtex knickers, then her top layers. My Gran wore bloomers -silk knickers that reached her knee. Both would tut tut, when I would cast my vest adrift "before May is out", and when I became a teenager I never wore one again. I'll admit to wearing a 'girdle' - just before tights were invented - kept the old tummy in, but oh the freedom when it was mini skirts and tights - in American Tan or Bengali Bronze , always !!!!

I have to admit, we may laugh at the armour of underwear our Mums wore, but at least they had pride enough to give themselves a 'figure', even if in later years they ended up looking like Peggy Mount.

Compare that to the young women we see today who are obese/overweight, squeeze their bellies, bums and thighs into clothes that are 2 sizes too small, and who clearly couldn't give a monkeys what they look like. Its horrendous looking at women who are quite obviously a size 24 or above and wear leggings with a waist length T shirt, oh yes I saw one yesterday, and her a......se was at least 3 ft wide. She would have needed 2 of my Mum's corsets to hold that lot in.

No, there was never any money about in those days, but pride in themselves and their homes were our Mums priority. Shame that cant be said for their descendants.

I have to admit, we may laugh at the armour of underwear our Mums wore, but at least they had pride enough to give themselves a 'figure', even if in later years they ended up looking like Peggy Mount.

Compare that to the young women we see today who are obese/overweight, squeeze their bellies, bums and thighs into clothes that are 2 sizes too small, and who clearly couldn't give a monkeys what they look like. Its horrendous looking at women who are quite obviously a size 24 or above and wear leggings with a waist length T shirt, oh yes I saw one yesterday, and her a......se was at least 3 ft wide.
She would have needed 2 of my Mum's corsets to hold that lot in.

No, there was never any money about in those days, but pride in themselves and their homes were our Mums priority. Shame that cant be said for their descendants.

Before the Chinese horror we were frequent concerts goers & a few years ago saw Steps on their comeback tour. There were many young women in the audience who looked like that & it was the first time I'd ever seen people with their arms hanging down over the backs of their seats because they were too obese to sit in them normally.

Hmm yes, Mr CC has been known to say "aren't you getting changed?" (you look like a bag lady) or "has that top shrunk in the wash?" (you look fat) or "is that your sister's dress you borrowed?" (you look like a scruffy old hippy). Sorry sis :censored:

CC

One of the first things I did to fill time under house arrest was to organise all our photos - the real ones. Two things were immediately obvious, how much slimmer people were & that everyone looked smarter. These were ordinary shots, many with other people in the background, & the difference between the 1960s, then through the next four decades, & today was palpable. When did the British become so scruffy?

Many young women and girls are huge these days but dress as if they're a size 8 with everything hanging out. I'm not as slim as I used to be but I wouldn't be seen dead on a night out with my bum cheeks/boobs on display 🐘🐘 (no matter how much wine was involved!)
CC
yes that is odd isnt it? I mean I am no Slim Jim by a very long chalk but I always get clothes that fit and cover as necessary! Sometimes walking behind a girl on the street I am amazed at how short her skirt is given the size of her thighs. I used to love a mini skirt but my legs were pretty good then.... They're not now!

Then again I can remember years ago being in a communal dressing room (what a f*****g nightmare they were) and trying on my outfit whilst girls far bigger than me were calling to the assistant "have you got this in an 8?" . I was staggered and could only assume that their big bits were not on the bust/hip line so the thing would do up and the rest got squashed in somewhere! I was trying a 14 so it would do up comfortably and fit properly over any bumps! I also used to make a lit of my own clothes back then so I think you are more aware of your own body contours and not able to pretend you are like a model!

I remember once being in Hartlepool in the middle of winter for work. After dinner my colleague and I were in the bar (thawing out) when people started going out to the nearby clubs. Girls not wearing coats had bustier tops and the amount of surplus boobage on display was eye watering!!!!!

Last edited:
Great memories. I wore the liberty bodice. In my teens I wore a roll on with stockings but as soon as tights came in I never wore anything constructing again .
My mother in law who was a down to earth Yorkshire lady told me when I was around 8 months pregnant, I should’ve been wearing A roll on garment to support my abdo. No way I would have got anything like that on . I was huge . But that generation did.

One of the first things I did to fill time under house arrest was to organise all our photos - the real ones. Two things were immediately obvious, how much slimmer people were & that everyone looked smarter. These were ordinary shots, many with other people in the background, & the difference between the 1960s, then through the next four decades, & today was palpable. When did the British become so scruffy?

When I had to go to London went into meltdown wondering what I had to wear!

Things have changed such a lot since I was a teen. Back then it would cost you a full week`s wage to buy a dress and a full months wage for a decent coat. "Good clothes" would be passed on and were made to last plus we didn`t import much from abroad. Consequently our wardrobes weren`t bulging with stuff we`d wear once or twice and then forget about or throw away.
Nowadays everything is so cheap and disposable. Unlike many of us it`s not unusual nowadays for kids to still be living at home in their late 20`s, 30`s or even 40`s. If they work they have plenty spare money to spend, if they don`t work then frequently they are subsidized by the bank of Mum or Dad.
Too much fast food or processed food, too much time sitting in front of a screen, no exercise or never walking anywhere, laziness and frequently having parents who aren`t bothered what their kids wear or where they are just as long as they aren`t disturbing whatever the parents are doing.
When I was a teen I had to get past my Mum and Dad who would utter those words "you aren`t going out dressed like that/or wearing so much makeup or without your vest or you`ll cripple yourselves in those shoes lady !" and like it or not we regularly had to listen. Plus our parents gave us a curfew, nowadays allnight clubs or bars or parties are the norm and Mr V who is a part taxi driver and starts work at 6am regularly collects young women from places and they`ve been out all night and are often worse for wear. I still had to abide by my Dad`s curfew right up to the day I got married plus nights out were limited to the weekends.
I`m not saying we should return to everything back then but our Mums took pride in how clean and tidy we looked and as my mum would regularly say " We may not have much money but we can always have standards" and she lived by that mantra.
We ate at a proper table covered by a proper tablecloth, we were fed home cooked food, we didn`t get many new clothes but when we did get them they were always good quality. We tipped up board and keep from our wages and learned that money doesn`t grow on trees and that we had to manage our money until the next wage packet and that everything in life had to be worked and saved for.
Owning a car was something you had to wait a long time for and we walked or used public transport to get to work. Nowadays they turn 17 and expect a car tied with a ribbon outside the front door and lessons to boot. This has happened twice in recent months with 2 of Mr V`s grandaughters, neither of them work, both got newish cars costing quite a bit, their insurance was in the thousands and their lessons well into the hundreds.
On top of that they want top of the range phones which Mummy or Daddy are often paying for and some just want to be eternal students or refuse to work in any job paying less than £x salary, even though they may not be qualified to do so.
The World`s gone mad and we see many of the younger generations who are selfish, lazy, entitled, no standards, no motivation, are spoiled and have poor examples of parents.

Ah yes, that time when everything in life had to be worked and saved for. I lived in modest properties my whole adult life, starting off with a flatshare, then a bedsit, then 1 bed flat, then 2 bed house and onwards to where I am now out in the sticks. All owned and paid for by me. When I worked in Edinburgh one of my colleagues had recently married and they were going for their own home but the properties she was looking at were 3 bedroom new builds with state of the art kitchens and bathrooms and she was moaning how difficult it was going to be to get a mortgage to service the asking price of around £350,000!!! Don't even mention second hand furniture either as that is met with a look of incredulity, as if the suggestion was an insult.

People want everything now even if they can't afford it (and yes I admit I have bought QVC stuff that I neither need or can really afford :rolleyes:)

CC

Latest posts

Back