Flinty's looking fuller

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Last year on holiday we had the bathroom as part of the bedroom and I hated it. I don`t want to watch Mr V wash his bum and bits in the shower no more than he wants to watch me shave my underarms or anywhere else, sorry TMI but that`s the reality of bathroom usage.
Thankfully at home we have 2 bathrooms, one downstairs and one upstairs but no en suites and no baths only showers. The downstairs one used to be an outhouse which was attached to the main house but when the house was originally built the outhouse would have been used to store coal, do the washing in or to house bikes and any other stuff. It`s an old house and that`s how it was built.

I've noticed this style of ablutions being designed in ultra modern new homes - ie Grand Designs etc. where there is only brick wall screen between the ensuite and the bedroom, so every 'sound' can be heard, and the actual bath is almost at the foot of the bed ! I have to laugh because Granny lived in a pit house in Rotherham, 2 up 2 down with an outside khasi, then she went 'posh' and the council fitted a bath in the back bedroom, so all this fancy design stuff, was a ****** necessity when a tin bath in front of the fire was the norm !

I thought it looked like holiday appartments.....Nice flats, beautiful grounds but not enough privacy. The other one's would be ok as long as you're not claustrophobic!

The 1960s Butlins look?

4D13C9EB-D9A0-46AE-96BC-3559F3AE3CC6.jpeg

I must apologise. This conversation is bringing out the worst in me.

I've noticed this style of ablutions being designed in ultra modern new homes - ie Grand Designs etc. where there is only brick wall screen between the ensuite and the bedroom, so every 'sound' can be heard, and the actual bath is almost at the foot of the bed ! I have to laugh because Granny lived in a pit house in Rotherham, 2 up 2 down with an outside khasi, then she went 'posh' and the council fitted a bath in the back bedroom, so all this fancy design stuff, was a ****** necessity when a tin bath in front of the fire was the norm !

Council houses had a bath installed at the end of the kitchen after many decades without a bathroom then bathroom extensions were built.

Council houses had a bath installed at the end of the kitchen after many decades without a bathroom then bathroom extensions were built.

yes, I was born and brought up in a house like that. With a bathroom tagged onto the kitchen - no toilet though, we had to go upstairs - thinking about it, we were forever trailing through the house wrapped in a towel 😂

My dad's mum and dad had a council house in Accrington that had the toilet in a shed at the end of the garden. I used to wonder why they had squares of newspaper in there hanging on a string :love: (this was the 60's). Then one time we went to visit and they'd gone all posh and had a bathroom/toilet inside their house and the toilet paper had been improved to Izal :LOL::LOL:. Such lovely ordinary people, sadly long gone.

CC

My dad's mum and dad had a council house in Accrington that had the toilet in a shed at the end of the garden. I used to wonder why they had squares of newspaper in there hanging on a string :love: (this was the 60's). Then one time we went to visit and they'd gone all posh and had a bathroom/toilet inside their house and the toilet paper had been improved to Izal :LOL::LOL:. Such lovely ordinary people, sadly long gone.

CC
I love stories like this, it's the stuff of life. Izal was awful, my mum showed me & my sister how to scrunch it up to give it a degree of absorbancy & fewer corners! My Mr T & I love Accrington - "Go on Stanley" ⚽💓

I love stories like this, it's the stuff of life. Izal was awful, my mum showed me & my sister how to scrunch it up to give it a degree of absorbancy & fewer corners! My Mr T & I love Accrington - "Go on Stanley" ⚽💓
Fewer corners!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha, yes, it was kind of "sharp" o_Oo_O My other granny and grandad worked at a school and they also had Izal (no doubt taken from the supplies cupboard). I never remember my own parents having that though, pair of softies :D

CC

When I was a kid we had an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and on Winter nights you had to wear your duffle coat over your jammies and traipse down the yard in your wellies and carrying a torch. Inside the loo you had to try and wipe your bum whilst balancing the torch at the same time.
When it was very cold Dad used to put a storm lamp on top of the tank which was high up on the wall and a long chain was used to flush the loo. The paraffin storm lamp stopped the pipes from freezing but the fumes from it were terrible. It`s a good job the toilet door had a 3 inch gap under it for ventilation.
We had a tin bath which was used every Sunday night and the cooker would have large pots and pans boiling away for the hot water. Myself and my little brother shared the bath, then my older sis got in and lastly my older brother. Mum would then empty it and start filling it all over again and then she`d get in and then lastly my Dad. The bath was in front of the coal fire in the back kitchen and Mum would place a large sheet over a clothes maiden in front of the bath so my older sis and her could have a little bit of privacy.
Our pj`s would be warming inside the oven of the black range and we`d be packed off to bed with a hot water bottle apiece and a china potty under the bed for night time wees.
No duvets back then, candy striped flannelette sheets, wool blankets with a satin edge and a flock filled eiderdown. Lino covered floors which gave you a shock of cold when you stood on them, a rag rug, and net curtains frozen to the old rattling sash windows.
When we eventually got a bathroom I thought we`d died and gone to heaven.

Fewer corners!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha, yes, it was kind of "sharp" o_Oo_O My other granny and grandad worked at a school and they also had Izal (no doubt taken from the supplies cupboard). I never remember my own parents having that though, pair of softies :D

CC
If not wanting your bum to be lacerated is being a softy I'm proud to be one!

When I was a kid we had an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and on Winter nights you had to wear your duffle coat over your jammies and traipse down the yard in your wellies and carrying a torch. Inside the loo you had to try and wipe your bum whilst balancing the torch at the same time.
When it was very cold Dad used to put a storm lamp on top of the tank which was high up on the wall and a long chain was used to flush the loo. The paraffin storm lamp stopped the pipes from freezing but the fumes from it were terrible. It`s a good job the toilet door had a 3 inch gap under it for ventilation.
We had a tin bath which was used every Sunday night and the cooker would have large pots and pans boiling away for the hot water. Myself and my little brother shared the bath, then my older sis got in and lastly my older brother. Mum would then empty it and start filling it all over again and then she`d get in and then lastly my Dad. The bath was in front of the coal fire in the back kitchen and Mum would place a large sheet over a clothes maiden in front of the bath so my older sis and her could have a little bit of privacy.
Our pj`s would be warming inside the oven of the black range and we`d be packed off to bed with a hot water bottle apiece and a china potty under the bed for night time wees.
No duvets back then, candy striped flannelette sheets, wool blankets with a satin edge and a flock filled eiderdown. Lino covered floors which gave you a shock of cold when you stood on them, a rag rug, and net curtains frozen to the old rattling sash windows.
When we eventually got a bathroom I thought we`d died and gone to heaven.

Latest posts

Back