Foundation Recommendations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Siandc

Registered Shopper
Hi folks, am looking for some help with choosing a foundation. I was a Bare Minerals user for years until I tried Laura Gellar and found that great too (& much tidier!). Lately, however, my skin has been very dry and my skin tone very uneven and my usual is just not working. I bought the Tarte full coverage which made my skin dryer and the Tarte airbrush powder foundation but that doesn't give me the cover I need. I googled most recommended and tried B from Superdrug but that was only so so. All this 'testing' is costing a fortune. Help please

Hi Marina. I've been eyeing up Doll 10 for a while so maybe I'll take the plunge.

I don't have dry skin so don't feel qualified to answer but was wondering if you have tried laura gellers hydrating spackle. When I use that my skin feels definitely more moisturised all day but not in a greasy way.

Get yourself some travel pots from Boots/Superdrug and go around Debenhams and ask for samples, take a pen and sticky labels.

Have you tried mixing a drop or two of serum or oil in your foundation? I've been adding a drop or two of maracuja oil to my Tarte foundation and really loving the results. It make your foundation look more dewy and helps to keep the dry patches from appearing I find.

Firstly do you use a primer before foundation?

If so, is it one for smoothing pores or you now might need a hydrating one instead.

If you skin has got drier and you are using the wrong primer that will effect your foundation's look.

Have you tried mixing a drop or two of serum or oil in your foundation? I've been adding a drop or two of maracuja oil to my Tarte foundation and really loving the results. It make your foundation look more dewy and helps to keep the dry patches from appearing I find.

This reminds me of a suggestion on YouTube to add a couple of drops of any facial oil to improve the look of a foundation.

arm yourself with around £30 and get some testers of the higher end cosmetics. debenhams john lewis or a large boots. dont like qvc make up

By the time you`ve ordered several different foundations from Q, returned most of them and spent a small fortune plus a lot of time trying to find "the one" it would pay to visit some large bricks and mortar stores and get some samples or try some foundations in the flesh.
QVC lighting doesn`t show anything in its true colour, you can`t feel textures and you certainly can`t test for skin reactions such a dry patches or allergy.
Small screw top jars are ideal for pumping samples into, as many as you can from as many different cosmetic stands. Some brands will already have samples, some won`t so be well armed.
On Ebay you get 10 x 3ml sample jars with screw lids for £3.99 and you may even find them in a pound shop. Barely the price of returning just one foundation back to Q.

Hi folks, am looking for some help with choosing a foundation. I was a Bare Minerals user for years until I tried Laura Gellar and found that great too (& much tidier!). Lately, however, my skin has been very dry and my skin tone very uneven and my usual is just not working. I bought the Tarte full coverage which made my skin dryer and the Tarte airbrush powder foundation but that doesn't give me the cover I need. I googled most recommended and tried B from Superdrug but that was only so so. All this 'testing' is costing a fortune. Help please

I'm the same- must've tried hundred over my 51 years on this earth! I still keep coming back to Mac full coverage cos it does what it says! It's now part of the Mac Pro range though so you can't buy it instore or on the website. I usually ring Mac customer services and order over the phone. Your only problem would obviously be choosing your shade.They come in two colour ranges NC for warm undertones and NW for cooler undertones although I suppose if you have a Mac counter near you , you could work your shade out there! I also like Boots No7 mousse foundation ( in a pot) but since they reduced the shade range down to three they only do pink, pale or dead! It's fab foundation though so if you're really pale you might be in luck! Good luck!
Sal x

Have you tried a richer face cream or better still serums or oils. I do this and find that LG is brilliant! BM is far too dry and haven't tried Tarte yet, read good reviews but some here say its drying too!

Ive always found LG very drying and stopped using BM mineral foundation again because my skin needs more moisture.
I now use the Bare minerals bareskin foundation when I want/need more coverage , and the Bare minerals complexion rescue when I want lighter coverage.

I tried DOLL10 & Tarte foundation and found them really thick and mask like - so that wasn't for me.

yes, that is what i have been doing with foundations and bb creams that weren't quite right
and it makes them more dewy and they spread the pigment better and look more natural
and a little bit of concealer can be used just were needed

I've got much dryer skin as I've gotten older so now I use a rich moisturiser, a primer and a liquid or cream foundation - powder foundations are a big no-no.

Actually, I forget to mention the other crucial step for my dry skin: serum. So that's: serum, rich moisturiser, primer, and finally a liquid or cream foundation - sounds like a lot of layering but it works, just make sure your serum is a proper serum texture i.e. thin and clear (NOT creamy and opaque: these types more like light moisturisers, in my book), then follow with small amounts of moisturiser, primer and foundation so it all doesn't get too heavy. I avoid SPFs in the serum and moisturiser, and leave that to the primer and/or foundation - and I personally prefer non-chemical sunscreens, so check out natural ranges or just sod it and go for Clinique! Just make sure you avoid powders!

Latest posts

Back