Freebies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Don’t know if these are freebies at all.
You’ll be able to spot lots of Q stock including Elemis, PK, Decleor, Gatineau, here in these pictures from last night at Gill’s home.
Plus she pointed out her Dyson’s hairdryer, airwrap and the Coralle straightener.

Attachments

• BF6B2D6A-C7B0-453D-9028-0AF0EC8B7538.jpeg
    BF6B2D6A-C7B0-453D-9028-0AF0EC8B7538.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 265C63FF-739B-4C52-8C97-75D90862BDC2.jpeg
    265C63FF-739B-4C52-8C97-75D90862BDC2.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 5B0ED4EC-4221-4FA0-9CFC-FEFB9D8BAEEE.jpeg
    5B0ED4EC-4221-4FA0-9CFC-FEFB9D8BAEEE.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 138
It wouldn`t be so bad if the feedback from presenters or guests was honest feedback but it never is. None of them are going to say the pies were shite, the vacuum cleaner didn`t pick up the dog hairs, the skin cream brought them out in a rash or the shampoo made their scalp itch etc etc etc. Praise where praise is due but only if it`s honest praise and that`s something we never get. Those of us who know how it all works just take whatever they say with a huge pinch of salt. Yes if something is new to Q then by all means let someone test it but the world and it`s dog don`t need to be involved but brands think the more people who can either influence or praise an item is worth the cost of giving it to as many people as possible. People read their blogs and listen to their every word or follow them on social media and just swallow the hype.
That’s absolutely right. It’s because their job is to sell QVC’s products and not to give an honest and considered evaluation that it makes the freebies a huge self serving expensive benefit which should be investigated. I find it hard when people write to them expressing their delight at seeing them enjoy what they have been testing for our benefit. Come on, how gullible can some people be? How badly does that reflect on the presenter who is calculated and bright enough to know they are playing some people? The kind of presenter who allegedly suggested to people to send them Christmas cards enclosing a stamped self addressed envelope so they could send them a card back. The kind of presenters who allegedly advertise their private businesses, their relatives businesses and even their books.

Just sticking my head above the parapet to say that I'm just wondering how presenters are supposed to trial things, I'm speaking about skincare, food, and cutting-edge electronics here, and so speak with honesty about recommending them, if they are not given them to try for an extended period? I think we'd be rather cynical if they just told us that everything was wonderful without ever actually trying them, wouldn't we?
Some jobs just come with enormous perks, and most don't. That being said, I think there is never any excuse for boasting about anything you've either been given or have been fortunate enough to afford to buy. That's where I'd, personally, draw the line.

NOTE: BETWEEN ME WRITING THIS AND POSTING IT, THE PRECEDING TWO COMMENTS WERE POSTED. But I do think it's a relevant argument. Again, it may not be equitable, but some jobs just have better perks than others. I just think 'lucky them'.
In the early days the tat peddlers usually worked alone, however, they now always have the company of representatives, technicians or BAs, as presumably these are the people who know about the products. Being told that a certain beauty product works for Flinty, Queen Julia or any of the others has no relevance as far as I'm concerned; the same can be said about watching the Everton individual, Craigie or Andi Peters exclaiming, through a mouthful of food, that something's delicious. The clue is in their job title, presenters, & they do precious little of that. Ironically they do say that everything's wonderful.

Well, Gill must be earning a lot from her hours at QVC or there is family money. Not only is her house full of QVC products but so according to her is her dad’s balcony. I wonder if it is as long as Flint’s which is 30 feet long. How do I know? I know she is very private but she has mentioned it a few times.

Is that Gill Gauntlet’s pad?

What does a tat peddler of plastic trellis, mini torches etc need with any freebie? A torch switches on, shows light, a trellis opens and closes - full stop - if you need freebies to trial that they is something wrong with you.

Aren’t you aware of Gills pad over the last month we have been invited to her patio area outside of the french doors to witness lighting and brooms.
In her kitchen to witness the use of a long handed picker upper.
In her dining area for reading glasses, belts and two of her bathrooms for wc sprays. Her lounge for the demo of the furniture moving carpet gliders. Her bedrooms for storage boxes and drawer liners. Also she does have a room which she refers to as a snug. But just can’t at the minute recall why that has been shown but a dare say it may feature in future shows.

What they don't mention ever, is selfishly how much better giving to a charity makes you feel. I bought myself an expensive food mixer, one I'd always wanted, cost a lot more than I would normally shell out but as a once-off it was worth it, and I do love it. But I also had an older, fully functioning mixer that I couldn't keep so we decided to donate it to a local charity who run a food kitchen for the homeless. They were absolutely delighted because theirs had just broken so all they had to do was get ours PAT-tested and it's still doing the job there, helping feed the hungry. The point of all this is not to show how wonderful I am for donating it (I was being consumerist, greedy and keeping the best one for myself after all) but to say that the buzz we got after donating my old mixer was huge and lasting, much more than any money we'd have got for selling it, so what impact would all those freebies have on other charities and how much benefit would they themselves get?
Now let's be fair, Queen Julia did stock up the phone box library with her novels & displayed them as if in the best book shop...

I now know that comments on here do get read by the Q, this is from Katy Pullinger's blog that was posted today:

'We have been trialling something new amongst the presenter team recently. The jewellery department and our stylist Stine have been putting together jewellery samples for us to borrow each month so that we are always in current stock on air and can keep up to date with all of our outfits and looks'.

Aren’t you aware of Gills pad over the last month we have been invited to her patio area outside of the french doors to witness lighting and brooms.
In her kitchen to witness the use of a long handed picker upper.
In her dining area for reading glasses, belts and two of her bathrooms for wc sprays. Her lounge for the demo of the furniture moving carpet gliders. Her bedrooms for storage boxes and drawer liners. Also she does have a room which she refers to as a snug. But just can’t at the minute recall why that has been shown but a dare say it may feature in future shows.
That’s great. I hope they are not paying their mortgages or a fee for them using their houses as studios.🤷🏻‍♀️

That’s great. I hope they are not paying their mortgages or a fee for them using their houses as studios.🤷🏻‍♀️

A friend of mine rents out her flat for ads, films etc. She gets a whopping fee plus a fee on top for her pets if they're used. They're (the cat and dog) not specially trained but if they or her aquarium gets featured it's considered an extra.

A friend of mine rents out her flat for ads, films etc. She gets a whopping fee plus a fee on top for her pets if they're used. They're (the cat and dog) not specially trained but if they or her aquarium gets featured it's considered an extra.
How did she get involved in doing that? I spent many happy hours in a beautiful flat that would have been perfect for that type of enterprise, but you know all about that alter...

I now know that comments on here do get read by the Q, this is from Katy Pullinger's blog that was posted today:

'We have been trialling something new amongst the presenter team recently. The jewellery department and our stylist Stine have been putting together jewellery samples for us to borrow each month so that we are always in current stock on air and can keep up to date with all of our outfits and looks'.
And she mentioned being ‘loaned’ the blink TSV to try out.....making it clear she wasn’t given it. Let’s hope none of us get the return if she doesn’t like it enough to ‘buy’ it!

I doubt very much if they have to return the ‘loaned’ items. They would be more trouble than they are worth, can’t be sold, and due to the pandemic can’t be used by anyone else. Perhaps they are asked to pay a nominal fee to keep them, probably just a few quid.

I doubt very much if they have to return the ‘loaned’ items. They would be more trouble than they are worth, can’t be sold, and due to the pandemic can’t be used by anyone else. Perhaps they are asked to pay a nominal fee to keep them, probably just a few quid.
That’s what I think. Just a nominal amount, as good as free. I’d always said that they would get round it that way. They will not fool us when they emphasis that they have “ bought” something. These greedy people would not give up on freebies.
I still think it should stop for the reasons I have previously given. If they are still happy doing it, even though possibly a substantial number of viewers have a very low opinion of them because of it, then it’s between them and their conscience. For many they will be associated and remembered for their greed.

We should be thankful for small mercies.

There is a version of Birkenstocks made out of Hermes Birkin bags selling for £55k (yes thousands) .

Imagine the rush for that freebie. It would be like Cinderella with the ugly sisters (yes we know who) insisting their size 9 feet fit beautifully into a 4. A whole new take on “if you are a half size go down”.

And the band played believe it if you like!

I had a quick look at some of the blogs and the language is getting a bit more inventive....borrow, loan, roadtest, sample so I would think that these changes have everything to do with our comments. In some ways this is good because obviously someone somewhere has recognised that all these lavish gifts might be alienating customers instead of inspiring them to buy - but the practice itself is going nowhere. Time and time again we've given examples as to how pointless this is. Skincare and bath products are particularly ridiculous - so Flinty's been given a stash of Gatineau to try, she loves it (she would say that wouldn't she) but is her skin the same as my skin, or your skin? will we be able to tell the difference in her appearance, and if we did, could we honestly put it down to the Gatineau? Cos last month she was given a whole bunch of Elemis stuff. How does a JM mirror on Katy Pullinger's wall illustrate it's beauty any better than a generic shot of the mirror in a domestic setting? Or a pan full of seabass on Craig's kitchen table, it show's he's an able cook, but it gives us no idea of how the pan feels or how good the non stick is as it would on a live demo where we can actually see someone using it.
I'm suprised that none of these comments ever come up on their FB page, because it's an issue and I'm sure it's not just the ST gang who are riled by it. They're probably deleted immediately!

Latest posts

Back