Gardening TSV - Hooray!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
may try and stay up for the gardening tsv tonight... i dont have a garden but its richard jackson so pretty hard to resist!

who's joining me? :sun:

Richard Jackson and his lovely big root system are always top of my must watch list. He can trail his lupin over my begonia any time. Huzzah! *

*the above post may not be factually true. :nod:

Richard Jackson and his lovely big root system are always top of my must watch list. He can trail his lupin over my begonia any time. Huzzah! *

*the above post may not be factually true. :nod:

ooo steady on, that sort of thing could result in seedlings :flower::flower::flower::flower:

We're selling our house. Maybe I could buy the tsv as a present for whoever buys the place, wdyt?

Depends how much you want to move??! If they're plug plants that arrive looking like shrivelled up weeds like mine have done in the past, I'd say abandon the prospective order! :happy:

FART PEOPLE FART!! You don't need little plug plants, they'll die, no-one needs brown plastic plant pots, they blow over in the wind and tomato feed is 10x cheaper than Flower Power.. and just as good.

FART!! :doh:

I am tempted by the tsv. I love Magnolia's. Hope one of you gardeners can help me. Can these be pruned to maintain a maximum height and still flower? I don't want these to go beyond 5 ft.

Just heard these can be grown in pots. Do they flower the same?

Sorry too many questions but want to be sure before I buy. I bought the Peony trees when they were the tsv but was very disappointing as all I get is 2/3 flowers :down:

I am tempted by the tsv. I love Magnolia's. Hope one of you gardeners can help me. Can these be pruned to maintain a maximum height and still flower? I don't want these to go beyond 5 ft.

Just heard these can be grown in pots. Do they flower the same?

Sorry too many questions but want to be sure before I buy. I bought the Peony trees when they were the tsv but was very disappointing as all I get is 2/3 flowers :down:

We have an established magnolia which I pruned in the autumn as it was getting a bit big, although I wasn't sure if that was the right time to do it. It's got loads of those furry things on it now which will be the flowers soon, so it's obviously ok. Also the cat is very fond of digging up (if you know what I mean) at the back of it, so they must be quite hardy.

We have a magnolia that we had kept in a pot and it flowered every year and was beautiful. We have now planted it in the ground as we have moved house and have more garden space. It seems to be doing OK and we have buds on it now.

The TSV does look tempting as I do love magnolia's.

Most magnolias like an acid soil. Does anyone here know if that is the case with these?

I was tempted too by the peonies the other week but I know that they take several years to get really established and produce many flowers and I'm just too impatient!

Just remember it is a QVC Magnolia and I have never had much success with any of their plants Beady!!

I bought the Peonys and in all the years have had about 2 flowers between them - they are rubbish. I do not rate their plants at all - save your money and buy a decent one from a garden centre or one of the online plant people.

Save your money and buy one plant that is alive and will do well from your local garden center, they will also know what your local soil is like so will be able to advise you on the right sort of plant to do well in your garden. Is my advice, I have had in my young and foolish days brought LOTS of plants from QVC ranging from bulbs that never flowered to GIANT LILLYS which where smaller than the regular garden center ones, to rose bushes that have died and gone to rose bush heaven. I NOW NEVER buy from them as it is almost impossible to tell if they are going to do well within the 30 DMBG, and why would you want to take a load of dead plants to the post office to send back!!

Save your money and buy one plant that is alive and will do well from your local garden center, they will also know what your local soil is like so will be able to advise you on the right sort of plant to do well in your garden. Is my advice, I have had in my young and foolish days brought LOTS of plants from QVC ranging from bulbs that never flowered to GIANT LILLYS which where smaller than the regular garden center ones, to rose bushes that have died and gone to rose bush heaven. I NOW NEVER buy from them as it is almost impossible to tell if they are going to do well within the 30 DMBG, and why would you want to take a load of dead plants to the post office to send back!!

Madmax I have had full refund including postage for plants that have failed to perform as described within a year. I have also never had to send plug plants back always had a replacement or offered full refund.

I don't buy a lot of plants from QVC but what I have bought I have had 80 -20 sucess rate. I love the apricot mix begonias they do for hanging baskets.

Madmax I have had full refund including postage for plants that have failed to perform as described within a year. I have also never had to send plug plants back always had a replacement or offered full refund.

I don't buy a lot of plants from QVC but what I have bought I have had 80 -20 sucess rate. I love the apricot mix begonias they do for hanging baskets.

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/Trailing-Begonia-Illumination-Apricot/1087-M,default,pd.html

I get mine from here Beady - their plants are really good quality and if you are buying a couple of lots you pay only one p&p.

Those magnolias don't look to have much root on them for bare root plants.
Certainly very few of the fine, fibrous feeder roots. All those big, thick roots do is anchor the plant in the soil, they don't draw any nourishment from the soil.

They're quite cheap although Parker's have a dwarf Magnolia Stellata for £2.49 in the catalogue.

Wow..that plant food's expensive!

Last edited:
Those magnolias don't look to have much root on them for bare root plants.Certainly very few of the fine, fibrous feeder roots. All those big, thick roots do is anchor the plant in the soil, they don't draw any nourishment from the soil.

They're quite cheap although Parker's have a dwarf Magnolia Stellata for £2.49 in the catalogue.

Wow..that plant food's expensive!

I've never seen bare-rooted magnolias on sale and at this time of year especially, when you would expect to see some growth starting. By the time the "feeding roots" are starting to get established the weather will be warm and dry (potentially) and they could struggle to take up enough water and nutrients in what would be a short slow growing season for them. RJ said 10 flowers next year - I think that's a bit optimistic.

My sis bought a pair of magnolias from QVC last year for £21 and after a month in the ground they were rotten. She bought a lovely one in the garden centre for £13 and it's thriving.

Latest posts

Back