Gem Collector

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Are you sure? It's a "work of art".
Oh dear, what a shame - Ant7t's just told me it's sold out! No taste, that's me - don't appreciate a bloomin' work of art when I see one.☺️

Someone must like it. It sold out :p
Does that mean it'll never be seen on the screen again? Yaaaaaaaaaaay! (Or does it mean that the last 50,000 in stock will appear anytime soon?)

Nick on GC tonight - and tomorrow. Gosh, it's night & day compared to usual. Like a radio station. On in the background, occasionally take a peak when something sounds interesting but carry on cooking. Just like the old days.

Nick on GC tonight - and tomorrow. Gosh, it's night & day compared to usual. Like a radio station. On in the background, occasionally take a peak when something sounds interesting but carry on cooking. Just like the old days.
Nick always was the best on Gem Collector.

No BS. No Hard sell. No trying to convince us that a Lemon Quartz is extraordinarily rare.

He just gets on with it, professionally, and has a bit of a chat with viewers in the process.

That's probably why they shifted him on to something else...........

No BS. No Hard sell. No trying to convince us that a Lemon Quartz is extraordinarily rare.
He just gets on with it, professionally, and has a bit of a chat with viewers in the process.
Exactly that, last night. Chatted about stuff (books, holidays, his kids etc), got all the requests done with a few demo requests, no hard sell. (Jim has a developed a habit of deciding himself when to show a request or get a demo request, sometimes even picking an item himself first, which I find odd. The other night he even showed the first of two requests from a viewer and then said "I'll do the other one in a minute".). Nick did also draw a wry smile when he said that he quite liked the former little studio.

He curated a lapis lazuli hour last night (some of their large pieces were beautiful and untreated but just not good value, in my opinion - even at £19.99 price levels, compared to other reliable sources. Good for pendants but I found a British shop online, which gives work to people with autism (similar ethos to the Duchess of Sutherland Cripples Guild at the beginning of c20th), that sells just pendants with good similar size examples already set in silver, at a range of prices). One viewer took the trouble to thank him specifically for showing both sides of the piece.

He's on again tonight, after a Primal shift in the afternoon (Turmeric back in stock, apparently). Setting aside my views on that side of Gemporia, he's much easier on the ear than Poppy is.

Last edited:
The other difference was that he sat down to present (albeit in a chair that squeaked on the floor as he shuffled back into position 😁). Hard to articulate why, but it made a huge difference to the ambience.

Emily's all about the health thing on standing up, although that does remind me of the pisstaking by comedy shows when newsreaders started doing that years ago. Jim bounces all over the place. Creates a sense of distance, disconnection somehow. They could be selling washers. Sitting down somehow made Nick seem "closer" and more engaged.

The other difference was that he sat down to present (albeit in a chair that squeaked on the floor as he shuffled back into position 😁). Hard to articulate why, but it made a huge difference to the ambience.

Emily's all about the health thing on standing up, although that does remind me of the pisstaking by comedy shows when newsreaders started doing that years ago. Jim bounces all over the place. Creates a sense of distance, disconnection somehow. They could be selling washers. Sitting down somehow made Nick seem "closer" and more engaged.
Somehow, I feel sorry for Jim. He's out of his comfort zone and it shows.

I don't think the new studio helps. It's soulless and bland and the sound seems echoey too. It feels like they're presenting in a hallway.

I can't take to Emily at all. The constantly giggling drives me mad, and she tries to make it too much about her rather than the gemstones. Alex was often guilty of that too - but he could find the balance between clowning around story telling with being knowledgeable about gemstones. The difference with Emily is that she has little knowledge of the gemstones, and tries far too hard to convince everyone how good the prices are or how rare something is.

Somehow, I feel sorry for Jim. He's out of his comfort zone and it shows.

I agree. I really like Jim - but he's gone over in 'Gems TV' mode and his style doesn't really work on Gem Collector.

Like Emily, he's trying too hard to convince everyone how rare something is or how amazing the prices are. Nobody gives a s**t about that on Gem Collector. The viewers know their stuff and don't need to be patronised. They just want to see good quality gems at good prices.

Sadly, Gem Collector offer neither good quality gems (rarely anyway) at good prices (even rarer).

Gem Collector has peaked and is in decline now, sadly.

The viewers know their stuff and don't need to be patronised. They just want to see good quality gems at good prices.

Sadly, Gem Collector offer neither good quality gems (rarely anyway) at good prices (even rarer).

Gem Collector has peaked and is in decline now, sadly.
I agree. Tonight is, so far, a good example.

A Comeria Garnet showcase (few, tiny & some unnecessarily included). I know that Jim had these on first but definitely the last few not worth setting into jewellery. Couple of years ago, these were impressive.

And a Padparadscha Sapphire showcase where not one showed any hint of another colour. They were either pink or orange. When you catch yourself saying "Don't care what the certificate says, that ain't padparadscha", it's the start of nothing good.

And a Padparadscha Sapphire showcase where not one showed any hint of another colour. They were either pink or orange. When you catch yourself saying "Don't care what the certificate says, that ain't padparadscha", it's the start of nothing good.
I don't think I've ever seen a 'real' Padparadscha Sapphire on Gem Collector. I'd be amazed if any reputable lab has had these and signed these off as Padparadscha's. They look no different to the Pink Sapphires.

In all the years I've been watching Gems TV and Gem Collector, I think I've only seen 3 'proper' Padparadscha's. They were on Gems TV around 10 years ago, they were a proper pinky-orange, actually from Sri Lanka, and I believe they were untreated.

They sold for about £800 each - and they came with a lab certificate (a reputable lab - not one of Troth's Chinese labs).

If Gem Collector were selling 'proper' Padparadscha's, there's no way they'd have the amount that they've got. They've been flogging those for about 6 years now and they're on daily.

"Proper" Padparadscha's are few and far between.

I wish we saw Nick presenting more often, and not only on GC. He's friendly but calm, and his style reminds me of Matt McNamara when he presented on Gemporia years ago. It would be better if they put Nick on GC permanently in place of Emily, who is full of BS and constantly laughs at her own jokes. It's a sad state of affairs when the Gemporia shriekers and gabblers are forced on us instead of the few presenters who can be calm and factual.

I wish we saw Nick presenting more often, and not only on GC. He's friendly but calm, and his style reminds me of Matt McNamara when he presented on Gemporia years ago. It would be better if they put Nick on GC permanently in place of Emily, who is full of BS and constantly laughs at her own jokes. It's a sad state of affairs when the Gemporia shriekers and gabblers are forced on us instead of the few presenters who can be calm and factual.

Nick and Drew were always underused.

There's probably a reason for that. They were too 'normal' and professional.

Gemporia love their shriekers and hard-sell presenters.

Nick and Drew were always underused.

There's probably a reason for that. They were too 'normal' and professional.

Gemporia love their shriekers and hard-sell presenters.
Yes, so much for things changing and Steve taking on board the comments made. Years ago, he would have come on to this forum as he did quite often, but I doubt that will happen today. He seems to have lost interest.

Oh, cripes! Jim said last night that one of the showcases on this "BIG" weekend coming up was "Naturally Coloured Pearls".

Might be wrong but time was when I think Alex intimidated that Hell would freeze over before anything other than seawater cultured pearls not messed about with would appear on Gemporia Collector. Expect the shock launch of Edison pearls next? 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back