Gemporia - ASA 'final warning' - AT LAST!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Now at 8:03 pm same evening, Adina said.about the same dyed blue agate necklace:

"The most gorgeous, it's nicer than the blue lace... I think it's... and it's got clarity to it, which is insane, they glow do those stones...An amazing auction house piece it really is, they're stunningly rare um stones. Full clarity as well...."

Swiftly followed by a large beaming grin & a quick squint into the camera. Presumably because she's done her worst on innocent potential buyers again?

"Auction house piece" ?? Lol!

ASA online complaint about this going in tomorrow.

If you submit a complaint, I shall also do the same so that it's got more 'weight' to it if two people complain about the same item.

I shall also be watching the so-called 'Rare blue Baltic Amber' tomorrrow too because Gemporia have already had a warning for this from the last time they sold it after they were comparing it to both the 'rarity' and the price of the naturally blue Indonesian Amber.

The blue Baltic amber is coated.

Adina is right about her item being an 'auction house' piece though....................... Ebay!

If you submit a complaint, I shall also do the same so that it's got more 'weight' to it if two people complain about the same item.

Oh yes TMWNN I am writing a complaint about this tomorrow. I made sure I got what Adina said, amidst the incoherent mumbling mixed in with her sales pitch, so that I can demonstrate exactly why I'm submitting my complaint to the ASA.

I shall also be watching the so-called 'Rare blue Baltic Amber' tomorrrow too because Gemporia have already had a warning for this from the last time they sold it after they were comparing it to both the 'rarity' and the price of the naturally blue Indonesian Amber.

The blue Baltic amber is coated.

Adina is right about her item being an 'auction house' piece though....................... Ebay!

First time I saw an on screen written description mention "dyeing" & "treatment" was at 10:08pm. It's been on pre order sale & promoted on tv since early evening, before 7pm. Adina to my knowledge has not mentioned it's dyed once.

Instead she showed images of blue & blue lace agate jewellery sold at Bonhams & Van Cleef & Arpels.

& photos of blue chalcedony. Lol.

Last edited:
First time I saw an on screen written description mention "dyeing" & "treatment" was at 10:08pm. It's been on pre order sale & promoted on tv since early evening, before 7pm. Adina to my knowledge has not mentioned it's dyed once.

Instead she showed images of blue & blue lace agate jewellery sold at Bonhams & Van Cleef & Arpels.

& photos of blue chalcedony. Lol.

You're right - not once did she mention it was dyed.

She even showed a graphic referring to the 'Blue Agate Mine". Well, this isn't from a 'Blue Agate' mine because its dyed - so yet more misleading.

And what were the stupid references to Gem Silica Chrysocolla all about?

They're getting more and more brazen with the misleading by the day.

I've not watched them for a while now, since the last time I commented on here.

This evening,15th May, whilst watching, I heard Adina selling a blue agate necklace & nearly spat my coffee out.

At roughly 6:45 pm, give or take a few minutes, she described the clarity of said necklace as:

"Paraiba grade in terms of the "cleanness" of the stone".

Followed several minutes later by her stating that she'd be selling "rare blue Baltic Amber" tomorrow.

Yep she really did say "cleanness" & compared it to "Paraiba grade."

I personally find this bang out of order & will submit an online complaint to the ASA tomorrow. Sure she didn't say Paraiba tourmaline, but I think it's obvious viewers will automatically presume that's what she's referring to. Otherwise just saying "Paraiba" makes no sense. Also using the word "grade" implies some cheap dyed blue agate is on a par with clean graded Paraiba tourmaline.

The necklace is currently on pre order & I've just seen that it is indeed dyed. No surprises there.

I think Adina must've gone to the same shopping tv selling school as Peter Simon.

To me, she also plays up the ditsy style of selling. Shouting random major retailer/manufacturer & brand names, implying that the relative toot she's selling is on a par with theirs.

Then after shouting these randomly, she starts giggling, eyes widen, appearing to be in disbelief at the price we're getting what she's flogging for. Then rambles, words getting faster, sometines followed by gulping, coughing with the frenzy of it all.

I know others do similar on shopping TV, but she's one of the most nonsensical & OTT I've seen.

It makes me so sad & angry that people are being sold to like this. I bet there's people who really believe that they're buying "rare investment" pieces. Some may be spending a lot, thinking they're passing on appreciating assets to their loved ones. I wonder how many elderly people think they're buying this stuff as a valuable side hustle? I truly dread to think.in
They'll be on there with tap washers next or a chrome toilet roll holder, and you could imagine the presenter saying 'now this washer glistens in sunlight in the same way as a flawless diamond and is the same quality'. Talk comes out of the back of their heads sometimes and if you can 'translate' what she's saying when she gets into a frenzy of gabbling, then you're better than I am.

Absolutely 100% agree with you about Adina's 'oh, I'm so ditzy, me' act. It's boring. Someone should tell her that you can get away with this when you're 15, but not when you are over 30 and supposedly a mature woman. Then you just sound like a silly moo, to be frank. The words 'eye candy' spring to mind, though.

Now at 8:03 pm same evening, Adina said.about the same dyed blue agate necklace:

"The most gorgeous, it's nicer than the blue lace... I think it's... and it's got clarity to it, which is insane, they glow do those stones...An amazing auction house piece it really is, they're stunningly rare um stones. Full clarity as well...."

Swiftly followed by a large beaming grin & a quick squint into the camera. Presumably because she's done her worst on innocent potential buyers again?

"Auction house piece" ?? Lol!

ASA online complaint about this going in tomorrow.
The Arthur Daley Auction House, I presume.

They'll be on there with tap washers next or a chrome toilet roll holder

Perhaps they can offer those as a bundle with Troth's Jadeite toilet seat?

17542-17481-Screen-Shot-02-10-24-at-06.37-PM-1-.jpg

17543-17481-Screen-Shot-02-10-24-at-06.37-PM.jpg

Finally, the ASA are showing their teeth at last (probably because they're sick of me by now!).

PART ONE:

You may recall that I reported Gemporia to the ASA for using the misleading name 'Ruby Quartz'. The ASA agreed that this name is misleading because the stone is not Ruby nor does it have any Ruby content. Gemporia have now been notified that they cannot use this name in the future. All future sales of this stone will have to specify that it is red coloured Quartz.

This is a big deal for Gemporia because now that the ASA have ruled that this is misleading, it sets a precedent for other misleading stone names. This could lead to further repercussions in a few weeks time because I've since reported Gemporia for selling "Maw-Sit-Sit Jadeite" (Maw-Sit-Sit is NOT Jadeite) and "Mountain Jade Serpentine" (Serpentine is also NOT Jade!). These are still being investigated.

PART TWO (THE IMPORTANT ONE!):

I reported Gemporia to the ASA last year after Adina constantly price compared a dyed blue Opal to untreated Opal. She kept referring to both as RARE. Not once did she mention that her stone was dyed.

The ASA ruled, at that time, that the presentation was misleading - and that treatments must be displayed more clearly on screen going forward.

The ASA said "to ensure that future advertising will clearly state the main characteristics of the product, and that presenters will refrain from contradicting these main characteristics via puffery which is likely to mislead a viewer and exaggerate the capability or performance of a product. We have also provided instruction on making the infographics more transparent for viewers."

Since then, despite the ASA warning Gemporia to display treatments more clearly on screen, Gemporia sold some COATED Blue Amber on screen in February. As usual, price comparisons were made to VERY rare natural blue Amber from the Dominican Republic and Burma. Adina did not refer to her stone as being coated at all. More importantly, NO TREATMENT DETAILS WERE SHOWN ON SCREEN - despite their previous warning.

So I reported that to the ASA.

As a result of this, the ASA have today informed me of the following:

"If the advertisers (Gemporia) don’t co-operate with us on this matter in the future and adhere to our instruction, subject to assessment, we will now be in a position to consider more formal action and investigation that involves the ASA Council."

So, in a nutshell, if Gemporia fail to show the treatment on-screen, of ANY treated gemstone, in the future, and it is reported to the ASA, the ASA can finally take formal action.
Well done. It is such a sea of info out there and these people pulling the wool over the viewer's eyes is a disgrace. Thanks for your efforts

Finally, the ASA are showing their teeth at last (probably because they're sick of me by now!).

PART ONE:

You may recall that I reported Gemporia to the ASA for using the misleading name 'Ruby Quartz'. The ASA agreed that this name is misleading because the stone is not Ruby nor does it have any Ruby content. Gemporia have now been notified that they cannot use this name in the future. All future sales of this stone will have to specify that it is red coloured Quartz.

This is a big deal for Gemporia because now that the ASA have ruled that this is misleading, it sets a precedent for other misleading stone names. This could lead to further repercussions in a few weeks time because I've since reported Gemporia for selling "Maw-Sit-Sit Jadeite" (Maw-Sit-Sit is NOT Jadeite) and "Mountain Jade Serpentine" (Serpentine is also NOT Jade!). These are still being investigated.

PART TWO (THE IMPORTANT ONE!):

I reported Gemporia to the ASA last year after Adina constantly price compared a dyed blue Opal to untreated Opal. She kept referring to both as RARE. Not once did she mention that her stone was dyed.

The ASA ruled, at that time, that the presentation was misleading - and that treatments must be displayed more clearly on screen going forward.

The ASA said "to ensure that future advertising will clearly state the main characteristics of the product, and that presenters will refrain from contradicting these main characteristics via puffery which is likely to mislead a viewer and exaggerate the capability or performance of a product. We have also provided instruction on making the infographics more transparent for viewers."

Since then, despite the ASA warning Gemporia to display treatments more clearly on screen, Gemporia sold some COATED Blue Amber on screen in February. As usual, price comparisons were made to VERY rare natural blue Amber from the Dominican Republic and Burma. Adina did not refer to her stone as being coated at all. More importantly, NO TREATMENT DETAILS WERE SHOWN ON SCREEN - despite their previous warning.

So I reported that to the ASA.

As a result of this, the ASA have today informed me of the following:

"If the advertisers (Gemporia) don’t co-operate with us on this matter in the future and adhere to our instruction, subject to assessment, we will now be in a position to consider more formal action and investigation that involves the ASA Council."

So, in a nutshell, if Gemporia fail to show the treatment on-screen, of ANY treated gemstone, in the future, and it is reported to the ASA, the ASA can finally take formal action.
Quartzite jade is not jade it is used as an imitation and a name given to most stones that can be carved.

Latest posts

Back