General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I looked through the range of Energia models on his website. There are around 40 varients. Hardly felt very limited or exclusive looking at them all. Not saying the Vostok generic Energia is not a nice watch. But seeing so many types within a type lessened the feeling of one offness you want with a watch requiring a fair chunk of change.

Also, as has been mentioned, the Chinese made question applied to the Swan & Edgar type watches etc. these channels sell that are essentially badged made in Cnina watches with a questionable heritage and connection tag attached with them to the dead brand name now on the face. Perhaps asking why they do this was more a question for the likes of Bordell to face…there…

Bordell was on with a few Duchamp watches the other day, again with Millie, the only info (brand, location etc) he gave about the watches was they were made in a region in the Southern Switzerland near the Italian border (they had i think it was 3 of the Swiss Made watches). Instead of the usual garbage we've been fed on Duchamp on IW (Started in Mendrisio Switzerland, Swiss heritage, HQ moving to UK, Christophe is a person, etc) this time we were treated to absolutely NO information on the brand, nothing, ziltch, even Woking didn't get a mention. :ROFLMAO:

During the woodworking show, I felt sorry for him. It wasn't his fault that Hayley Sparks didn't want to be there, and then she went off air to get a drink and left him alone.

Shocking that you would consider selling toilet rolls,especially after the Mother Teresa fiasco.
Hang your heads in shame,new or not things don’t change 🤔
Personally that only bothers me when they're taking advantage of people during shortages. A couple of small shops near me were were selling toilet rolls at an exorbitant price during Covid and some local people refused to shop there again.

@Hammy60 @Professor Branestawm @Herring @Duke of Cheese
Kev is on with Vostok at 8pm tonight and I have asked him to answer your questions. What I have asked him specifically to answer is about the life span of the watches, the origin of the watches and the parts - do they come from China etc, more about the materials of the watches, the movement and calibre etc and also please what’s app any questions into him as well during the show. I’ll do the same and ask the same of the other watch guests as well. I don’t know anything about watches so it’s not my subject and I wear a Fitbit so I need to up my game and get a decent watch 😂.
I can’t do much more than that and I hope it can give you more information and answer your questions. You might not agree with the answers but at least the questions and queries are being heard. I have asked Kev to mention you (handles) on air so you know it’s your questions he is answering. Hope that helps.
Thanks Alex. But it’s not really Kevski.
As regards mechanism, provenance and lifespan, Vostok are one of the most open and transparent shopping telly products. And decent enough watches as well. I do feel that Kevin tries hard to get things right (although his regular surprise at a revealed price- often a bit higher than on his son’s own website - got old very quickly).
He struggles a little with tech knowledge at times, but I have never felt Kevin has ever set out to mislead. Kevin, at heart, is one of the best, (IMO). As a comparator, Poljot (a Russian watchmaker of similar product) used to enclose a slip with each purchase saying the average lifespan of their watches was 10 years. Actually, most watchmakers can service a Poljot 3133 and parts are easy to obtain - so effectively meaning that, properly serviced, they’ll last a good while.

No, for me, It’s not Vostok. It’s the others - and I’m sure they know who they are. These are generally, not always, Chinese mechanisms ( at least on many of their standard products), with brand name printed on them to order - almost all of these can be obtained for very little on AliExpress with different brand names. The telly-selling of these is ridiculous - claims of association with long-dead brands, where what has been purchased by the vendor is just the brand name; the real origins of the mechanism and their (when Chinese) provenance missed out or obscured. And the regular mentions ( on other channels) that these are heirloom purchases. They are not. In no sense whatsoever.

Sorry this was a long one. But I’d love to see lots of the other vendors answering these questions. And I’m sure they could still sell product if they were clear about what they are. Sell the look, or the value, or sell the features- but don’t sell them as heirlooms, or ‘timepieces’; and be clear about where they are from. A couple of years ago, every watch sale on selly telly began with a spiel about the watch being presented at Baselworld. Having been, many times, I can guarantee that was not really so. At one point I was convinced they’d been channelling Fawlty Towers and all had been at Basil World.🤣

For me - that’s all I’d ask. We all expect a bit of salesmanship on selly telly, it would be very boring without it, and we know that not everyone can be an expert (it would be a very dull world). But curbing the excesses would, I am sure, bring more sales in the long term. Can’t help but think that some watch purchasers of a couple of years ago might already have sworn off ever buying more, because of the medium-term disappointment that must be apparent. After all, when they bring them for a service, or a repair, many of the Chinese mechanisms are basically uneconomic, or actually impossible to work on.

And Alex, thanks for listening. And replying.

Last edited:
Thanks Alex. But it’s not really Kevski.
As regards mechanism, provenance and lifespan, Vostok are one of the most open and transparent shopping telly products. And decent enough watches as well. I do feel that Kevin tries hard to get things right (although his regular surprise at a revealed price- often a bit higher than on his son’s own website - got old very quickly).
He struggles a little with tech knowledge at times, but I have never felt Kevin has ever set out to mislead. Kevin, at heart, is one of the best, (IMO). As a comparator, Poljot (a Russian watchmaker of similar product) used to enclose a slip with each purchase saying the average lifespan of their watches was 10 years. Actually, most watchmakers can service a Poljot 3133 and parts are easy to obtain - so effectively meaning that, properly serviced, they’ll last a good while.

No, for me, It’s not Vostok. It’s the others - and I’m sure they know who they are. These are generally, not always, Chinese mechanisms ( at least on many of their standard products), with brand name printed on them to order - almost all of these can be obtained for very little on AliExpress with different brand names. The telly-selling of these is ridiculous - claims of association with long-dead brands, where what has been purchased by the vendor is just the brand name; the real origins of the mechanism and their (when Chinese) provenance missed out or obscured. And the regular mentions ( on other channels) that these are heirloom purchases. They are not. In no sense whatsoever.

Sorry this was a long one. But I’d love to see lots of the other vendors answering these questions. And I’m sure they could still sell product if they were clear about what they are. Sell the look, or the value, or sell the features- but don’t sell them as heirlooms, or ‘timepieces’; and be clear about where they are from. A couple of years ago, every watch sale on selly telly began with a spiel about the watch being presented at Baselworld. Having been, many times, I can guarantee that was not really so. At one point I was convinced they’d been channelling Fawlty Towers and all had been at Basil World.🤣

For me - that’s all I’d ask. We all expect a bit of salesmanship on selly telly, it would be very boring without it, and we know that not everyone can be an expert (it would be a very dull world). But curbing the excesses would, I am sure, bring more sales in the long term. Can’t help but think that some watch purchasers of a couple of years ago might already have sworn off ever buying more, because of the medium-term disappointment that must be apparent. After all, when they bring them for a service, or a repair, many of the Chinese mechanisms are basically uneconomic, or actually impossible to work on.

And Alex, thanks for listening. And replying.

Ooh, Poljot 3133 you say, maybe send one your way if i need one fixing.;):ROFLMAO:

Poljot 'Aviator I Chronograph' (Cal Poljot 3133)a.jpgStrela 'Officer Chronograph' OF38CYGS  (Cal Poljot 3133)a.jpgSturmanskie 'Ocean' Chronograph  Special Edition 3133-1981599 (Cal Poljot 3133)a.jpg

I suspect he won't. Probably got a fee for his inclusion on the promos. Possibly they hadn't got the actual presenters signed up when they made it? Does he need the gig, really? I doubt it.

Latest posts

Back