General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don’t think you can take this path and hope to survive. I mean…how can you? Dropping live broadcasting after a few days and resorting to a few shows with a very limited product range on a loop. What do they have to present to potential investors other than an aspiration, or more impolitely, a fantasy of what can be achieved. Would you give them a couple of hundred thousand pounds of your money?
This will certainly make suppliers and freelancers nervous to deal with them, especially after many lost money twice following the collapse of ISD Ltd and then IW Ltd.

I also think Alex is quite right if the history/heritage is on a website then imo is quite within his rights to share that history without having to critique. He is not reading the description on oath/onthe bible, it is sales related after all, and he is confident in the product.

Do stick your head above the parapet next time you see people on here criticising Peter Simon or Jeremy Edwards for regurgitating the contrived histories brands like "Duchamp" and "Swan & Edgar" put on their websites then, my friend 👍.

Cos, me? I'm all about fair play/consistency - if it's unreasonable for Selly Telly presenters to sit flogging far east watches under assumed heritage, I see no reason why anything else is an exception. People being asked to pay above-rate prices for a cheap fan because it has a formerly-defunct British brand name slapped on are entitled to honesty too.

Sell things, by all means... but sell them for what they are, not what they're not.

If you're going to be flogging people stuff under the guise of "heritage" and "a name they can trust" it's not unreasonable to expect that to be backed up — neither of those claims has diddly squat to do with the company who owns the band name now.

Last edited:
Just showing the replays that were being shown on the now defunct Freeview channel.

Hindsight is a valuable asset. Maybe Simon would have been better just streaming it on youtube himself to start with, promoted it all over social media, placed ads on Google and Facebook to spread the the startup to a much bigger audience. This way wouldn't have cost lots of money, lots of people wouldn't have become unemployed and when he realised the market wasn't there for the channel, the financial loss would have been minimal, compared to what it currently will be.

Do stick your head above the parapet next time you see people on here criticising Peter Simon or Jeremy Edwards for regurgitating the contrived histories brands like "Duchamp" and "Swan & Edgar" put on their websites then, my friend 👍.

Cos, me? I'm all about fair play/consistency - if it's unreasonable for Selly Telly presenters to sit flogging far east watches under assumed heritage, I see no reason why anything else is an exception. People being asked to pay above-rate prices for a cheap fan because it has a formerly-defunct British brand name slapped on are entitled to honesty too.

Sell things, by all means... but sell them for what they are, not what they're not.

If you're going to be flogging people stuff under the guise of "heritage" and "a name they can trust" it's not unreasonable to expect that to be backed up — neither of those claims has diddly squat to do with the company who owns the band name now.

I don't think I have ever criticised the above two for any brand history spiel, everything else but not that (there's too many other tall stories to get stuck into) , so I am being consistent, no point hanging the guy out to dry he has at least given an explanation (that he didn't have to ) and comes across as genuine which is more than you get from the IW usual suspects, so for that I personally cut people a bit of slack. As stated there is a sales aspect here. If someone is stupid enough to lap it up when purchasing a Mann Egerton watch for £29.99 I tend to think they deserve all they get.

Still seem to be accepting website orders.

Would make sense for the online side to continue since it's lower-cost (if lower reach).

I think Insider mentioned Simon has changed the TikTok account name to "Seen on TikTok" now. He was already making healthy sales of Pirhana products through his TikTok shop before he decided to start a TV channel (possibly deciding to start a TV channel because of that success).

He'd do well to focus on the online side, especially since it was already working. Not as glamorous as a TV channel of course, and more subject to platform whims and shifting trends, but it'd help build a brand, attract investors, etc to perhaps reattempt a national channel in the future.

I didn’t even know TikTok was a shop.

Always thought it was for Teens to do silly dances with

Haha, it is mostly for dances, pouting, and showing off! 💃

But popular pages can set up a "shop" to sell things to other TikTok users through. I presume TikTok get a cut? Not sure how it works really. Anyway, Simon's built up a modest following there and generated some significant sales of Pirhana products through TikTok so even if he doesn't have a TV chance he's got that to fallback on.

Make of it what you will. The comment section on the Facebook page contained this, and it seems that someone from Seen on TV sent it to the person who posted it via private message.

Right this is the official word from Seen on TV Simon has gone to tape to fix the syncing issue. Freeview has increased the bill for them to air
It went blank to restart the stream
They are using freelance staff give them a chance guys seriously.
This is to end the rumours of it going bust they have not think before you speak there are people who work the other end

Make of it what you will. The comment section on the Facebook page contained this, and it seems that someone from Seen on TV sent it to the person who posted it via private message.

Right this is the official word from Seen on TV Simon has gone to tape to fix the syncing issue. Freeview has increased the bill for them to air
This is to end the rumours of it going bust they have not think before you speak there are people who work the other end
Thanks

Technically, Freeview hasn't increased the bill. It's the company Simon went through to buy carriage on Freeview (and perhaps elsewhere). Aq… something or other. Those increases were signposted in the contract he signed, according to Insider. Either Simon didn't read it properly or he did but thought he'd be making more than 39 sales in a 24 hour period…

Bit of an oops 🫥.

(Also what's with this whole "give them a chance!!" line people keep throwing out? Without being cold, anything anyone says, be it good or bad, on this forum, on Facebook, or using the medium of mime to a bemused fish in their garden pond, won't make a blind bit of difference to the ongoing issues the channel is experiencing. Positive comments won't pay the increased carriage costs any more than negative/schadenfreude comments made the price go up).

Last edited:
I think if you are using as a selling point on a product, information that tells viewers a manufacturer has decades of tradition, and you make a direct connection to the products it made in the past to now, then that needs to be factual. You are saying this stuff as a positive, not a negative. People (particularly older people) often buy from long established retailers or makers because they believe that means better service, reliability or both. If the truth is the traditional name you promote has absolutely no connection with the current maker, then you are misleading potential buyers by either accident or design. Yes, in this particular example, it’s a fan with a long warranty and at a good price. Fine. Leave it that. Don’t add in the bit about the manufacturer longevity - unless you are sure of your facts and that goes beyond what is said on its own website. It took me about 30 seconds to check externally that Rediffusion is just a brand name brought back from the dead by someone else. And about another 30 seconds to check the address given on the website at Companies House. A minute or two to be sure.
Yeah - that’s a fair point. I Can always keep learning and a quick back up check doesn’t hurt. But we aren’t going to get it perfect every single time. 😊.
…but you’ll be here to chase us up! 😁

Simon has given up. He has been trying to flog the "assets" of the business with no success.

It's the end.

A complete failure and do not believe a word about "unexpected costs". They were known, he took a gamble expecting significant sales. They did not happen and the sales he did get were lost leading (£24.99 air fryer) and tiny unsustainable margins on the rest. He cut his losses as early as possible.

Feel sorry for the staff but not for a couple of presenters who thought they were smart making the move.

Latest posts

Back