gift, gifting, giftable

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ive just thought of one which annoys me. When you ask someone how they are, instead of saying "Im very well thanks" or "Fine thanks" you get " Im good thanks". American again surely.

bauble was just checking to see if anyone had mentioned this before i posted it as my pet toe curler. 'i'm good' always sounds like a self compliment to me - can't STAND it!

barbs - i'm scared too - i do the opposite - use ' instead of " because i'm a hunt n peck typist and can't be a**ed to use 2 fingers if i don't have to! (same reason all lower case -apologies to anyone climbing the walls)

I can't stand the latest craze for advertisements telling me that something is "better than half price" or people saying "mumf" when they mean month. :angry:

BarklySparbs, "Any day above ground is a good one" has kept me going! I'm 6 months behind you, love! And you've got-a-fella, you sly girl. :wink-wink: Capirossi, that film's from the HeleneHanff book and if I was a teacher, it would be mandatory viewing/reading - rationing, Coronation, John Donne and fine acting. Sparkles26-oops, I said movie in my post - NaughtySnarly; it's all that time I spent in Canada, I do try to self-edit my posts. =^.^= x Snarly

BarklySparbs, "Any day above ground is a good one" has kept me going! I'm 6 months behind you, love! And you've got-a-fella, you sly girl. :wink-wink: Capirossi, that film's from the HeleneHanff book and if I was a teacher, it would be mandatory viewing/reading - rationing, Coronation, John Donne and fine acting. Sparkles26-oops, I said movie in my post - NaughtySnarly; it's all that time I spent in Canada, I do try to self-edit my posts. =^.^= x Snarly

Snarly does that mean i'm entitled to the winter fuel allowance also, oh and i get the free bus pass too . Lucky me. BarklyS he he

barbs - sorry to burst your bubble but you're not entitled to any of that. having just turned 60, the only freebie i've come across so far is prescriptions. fuel allowance and bus passes are - like most things, linked to the state pension.

Nooooo Janie, say it ain't so!?! Sorry Barklysparbs, I was wrong :sob: I get free prescriptions (Wales) and have my BusPass because of illness. I think Boots has an Over60 card. :phooey, phooey, phooey: SnivellingSnarly

Just had to join in.......... read the whole thread and this one is missing.........

I HATE the fact that the word SomethinK is now being used constantly by young and old alike.

Dame Kelly Holmes gave a very interesting interview to Piers Morgan recently (IMHO) - it was very enjoyable and I laughed and cried along with her -she is an inspiration - BUT she constantly said "somethinK" and it drove me crazy !!!!

When did this become acceptable?

Somebody please dooooo somethinK about it !!!!!!!!

I've also heard hospital referred to as 'hospickle' and chimney as 'chimbley' on the television. Admittedly that's not been on QVC, but it still grates on me. I think I'm getting intolerant in my 'old age.' :wink:

barbs - sorry to burst your bubble but you're not entitled to any of that. having just turned 60, the only freebie i've come across so far is prescriptions. fuel allowance and bus passes are - like most things, linked to the state pension.

janie, we already have free prescriptions here, and we get free bus passes at 60, some perks, even though i don't use the
bus he he. Might start now though , but i'd be on my own , as my other half is a bit younger than me, although he didn't
know that when we met. Naughty Sparkly :confused:

No-one has mentioned "DRAWRRRRING" yet, as now pronounced by 80% of people on radio and TV, even educated people.

And also, in the last few years (started by Gordon Brown) "SAYS" pronounced to rhyme with HAYS and not SEZ like it used to be.

Pees me off too. Rebecca Adlington kept saying that her sport is very difficult "to medal" in. I get her sentiment, but the language annoyed the hell out if me. Worse than spilt infinitives.

One of my pet hates is the way some people pronounce the letter H as haytch, ahhhhhhh !

me too! where does that come from? is it a regional thing?

inatizzy - somethink and anythink drive me nuts too! and pacific for specific BUT the one that has me at screaming pitch is nuculer (nuclear) - WHY?!?!?!!!!

barbs - it's impolite to gloat! LOL

Almond pronounced Oll-mond....ask Marc Almond...it's ah-mond! There's even a blummin advert saying it incorrectly now! Alexis should know better when she's flogging stuff on QVC but she's also a bergamont offender.

Jude xx

Last edited:
Chest of Draws

I know it as a Chest Of Drawers but have heard 'draws'. Last week. I received a book by Rachel Ashwell - she created and named the ShabbyChic way of decorating. Page 21 of TreasureHunting&DecoratingGuide states, "This knobless chest of draws had the perfect finish ... " Under another picture, she advises lining the drawers with vintage wallpaper. OhMyAchingHead! Make it stop!

Debbie Flint seems to be a prime culprit but there are others.

When mentioning the price of something which has been drastically reduced, for example £20 instead of £50, she will say " Oh wow!!! This is more than half price; what a bargain; get one for your 10 million friends.....". (Ok , I've exaggerated slightly with the last bit)

Completely wrong comparative used, Debbie.

My grammatical moan over with for now...

I hate the way people keep saying 'like' all the time as in 'you know like' or 'yeah like' or 'like' in every other word! Aaargh! It gets me mad!!:devil:

Latest posts

Back