Has my lightbulb moment arrived?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There`s a saying that youth is wasted on the young but in some cases I think life is often wasted on the living. I know we all have to earn money, pay bills, raise families and so on but in today`s World I see so many people who are money and material orientated. For what ?
I`ve had the sad misfortune to care for 3 people who all knew they were dying, my parents and my husband. None of them asked to stroke their handbags or count their face creams or said they regretted not buying a Bose or talked about the day they got a bargain tsv or their stockpile of shoes. clothes or whatever else.
Yes yes silly examples I agree but the point I`m trying to make is when people spend a huge chunk of their lives hankering after material things, it`s all wasted because we enter the World with nothing and we leave it with nothing and the "stuff" we leave behind is either given away, binned, sold or the odd item is kept by a friend or family member.
Now, buying into life is a whole different thing and I`m all for it. Those holiday memories, those family events, those nights with friends, those phonecalls, those lovers, those once in a lifetime experiences, those cuddles with children and grandchildren, those midnight conversations with partners, the plays which made us laugh, the films which made us cry., the food which made us crave more, the music we loved and remembered and so on and so on and so on.
The many conversations I had with my parents and husband in their final months often made me laugh and regularly made me cry but they sure as hell put things into perspective.

There`s a saying that youth is wasted on the young but in some cases I think life is often wasted on the living. I know we all have to earn money, pay bills, raise families and so on but in today`s World I see so many people who are money and material orientated. For what ?
I`ve had the sad misfortune to care for 3 people who all knew they were dying, my parents and my husband. None of them asked to stroke their handbags or count their face creams or said they regretted not buying a Bose or talked about the day they got a bargain tsv or their stockpile of shoes. clothes or whatever else.
Yes yes silly examples I agree but the point I`m trying to make is when people spend a huge chunk of their lives hankering after material things, it`s all wasted because we enter the World with nothing and we leave it with nothing and the "stuff" we leave behind is either given away, binned, sold or the odd item is kept by a friend or family member.
Now, buying into life is a whole different thing and I`m all for it. Those holiday memories, those family events, those nights with friends, those phonecalls, those lovers, those once in a lifetime experiences, those cuddles with children and grandchildren, those midnight conversations with partners, the plays which made us laugh, the films which made us cry., the food which made us crave more, the music we loved and remembered and so on and so on and so on.
The many conversations I had with my parents and husband in their final months often made me laugh and regularly made me cry but they sure as hell put things into perspective.

Beautifully put Vienna X

My neihbours wife is still the same ...her poor hubby is exhausted and having to hear her plead to be helped but he said he can't do this ....he walks with our other neighbour for an hour with the dog as he needs to clear his head and get things off his chest ...yes it certainly does put life in perspective.

( My estranged sister passed like this and my dear Mum thanked her hubby for looking after her ..long story we lost contact..we did not know she was ill ..her dying wish ..and Mum and dad followed her 18 month later ..with the their own Illnesses 14 years ago ..I learned so much and even now i am still learning about appreciating life ..their love and legacy never leave me and I the is that is the case for many )
Mum used to say .."well I can't take it with me ...." Xxxxxxx

There are so many things I'd like to do, even want to do, but for one reason and another I can't do them anymore. I think my mantra now is live life the way it is and not the way you think it should be.

Vienna, I've read things on this thread that have made me smile, and others that have brought tears rushing to my eyes. There are some truly lovely sentiments on here, including yours, so thank you. We all spend time worrying and agonising about things, but should appreciate - and celebrate - the good times and memories, and the people, friends and family who have made us laugh and cry.

QUOTE=Vienna;830134]There`s a saying that youth is wasted on the young but in some cases I think life is often wasted on the living. I know we all have to earn money, pay bills, raise families and so on but in today`s World I see so many people who are money and material orientated. For what ?
The many conversations I had with my parents and husband in their final months often made me laugh and regularly made me cry but they sure as hell put things into perspective.[/QUOTE]

Lady M, my heart goes out to you, and your cousin and her husband, of course. No time of year is a good time to get news like this, but somehow it seems twice as bad in the lead-up to Christmas (illogical really, but there you are). How one person can have so much to bear in their life is just shattering and I do so hope that you get a chance to spend some time with your cousin. Sending positive thoughts to you all. xx
Yes my cousin has had breast cancer, ovarian cancer and she had a hysterectomy then contracted cancer were her womb had been and last week her hubby rang me as she now has tumours on her brain. She once told me that they had always saved and not spent unnecessarily and now wonders wether it was any use.

Lady M, my heart goes out to you, and your cousin and her husband, of course. No time of year is a good time to get news like this, but somehow it seems twice as bad in the lead-up to Christmas (illogical really, but there you are). How one person can have so much to bear in their life is just shattering and I do so hope that you get a chance to spend some time with your cousin. Sending positive thoughts to you all. xx

Oh thank you History, beautiful words. Hoping to see her before Christmas, have to time it when she can manage visitors for more than 5 minutes.

i remember saying at my mums funeral "we live to die"...i suppose in the baseness of everything its true

I know that feeling CC, I had my lightbulb moment maybe a year or two ago when I realised how much unused QVC stuff I had in the house, under the bed, in the wardrobe, in the bathroom, mostly skincare and body products, far more than I would use, some that I didn't particularly like. I gave some away, used up as much as I could and just binned some. I think not watching QVC is a big help, I just come here to see if there are any upcoming TSVs I might be interested in. I am much much more sensible about what I buy now. Apart from two Tarte TSVs I have not bought any QVC beauty products for ages, I am spending much less now, thankfully.

It is very scary CC when you realise how much you are spending on QVC products, and horrifying when you realise you are not even using a whole lot of what you have bought.

Stopped buying for the sake of it many years ago, very easy to fall into the sordid trap of selly telly. These BTY people must have hoards of unwanted stuff as all they seem to do is buy buy buy and you can only use a certain amount of products! Sensible head NOW :mysmilie_12:

Stopped buying for the sake of it many years ago, very easy to fall into the sordid trap of selly telly. These BTY people must have hoards of unwanted stuff as all they seem to do is buy buy buy and you can only use a certain amount of products! Sensible head NOW :mysmilie_12:

Perhaps they are not hanging onto or gifting all that they buy?

Perhaps they are not hanging onto or gifting all that they buy?

Fair point but I am referring to the pics that you frequently see when the presenters show the viewers, where the drawers are full and cabinets stuffed with all these products! Make up and beauty enough to last for a decade, never mind 2 years unopened :mysmilie_61:

Fair point but I am referring to the pics that you frequently see when the presenters show the viewers, where the drawers are full and cabinets stuffed with all these products! Make up and beauty enough to last for a decade, never mind 2 years unopened :mysmilie_61:

Very true - exhibiting their obsession with a particular brand... But I do wonder if the pictures are taken then trotted out long after the product has moved to new homes. I'd think more of them if they have had the sense to move it on than to buy it all and stockpile for umpteen years...

I sometimes see YouTubers who do make up tutorials and they have an obscene amount of make up, literally whole drawers stuffed with lipsticks and foundations etc. I suppose there is the craving to try new things and find that holy grail product. I am becoming more and more drawn to minimalism. So much better to have some really lovely products that you use, and then replace when they are used up, rather than lots of each category and then stockpiles. Anyway, that's the plan. Now have to wean myself off buying products that I will only use a handful of times before moving on.

Anyway, good news, although I was mildly tempted by the Loccitane TSV in the warm option (would have loved some almond shower oil and handcream) I resisted! And what made me resist was the thought of my stockpile. Hopefully will not be tempted by anything else until at least the spring.

One of my objectives today (apart from Washing Machine delivery) is to get my Christmas presents wrapped and ready to send... the rate I'm going I will be at home alone for Christmas, as I've got nothing at all organised!

That Christmas present activity should reduce at least some of the stock pile of bits and bobs I've amassed...

Back in my teens, having been taught how to do make up by a professional model (friend's mum) we had a Friday night routine - the girls would all arrive at mine an hour or so before we went out... all bare-faced. My job was then to make up everyone before we went out. I had several palettes of eyeshadows, blushers, lipsticks and glosses galore. It was great fun, but normally my makeup had to be squeezed into the last few seconds. I could do a full face in very little time at all... but these days I'm badly out of the habit of applying a full face of the stuff.

Last edited:
MML, sounds like a lovely start to an evening out.
I have always adored make-up, and being artistic, understood how to make the best of someone's features 30 years before contouring and strobing became the rage. I remember being 13 when an aunt was getting married and someone needed to "make her up". When no one came forward, I found myself volunteering, and using a few items from several aunties handbags, did the best I could. Since that time, I have made up about 11 brides, not to mention their sisters, mothers etc.. and all without ever having done a course. There is something about making someone look and feel beautiful that really appeals to me.

My neihbours wife is still the same ...her poor hubby is exhausted and having to hear her plead to be helped but he said he can't do this ....he walks with our other neighbour for an hour with the dog as he needs to clear his head and get things off his chest ...yes it certainly does put life in perspective.

( My estranged sister passed like this and my dear Mum thanked her hubby for looking after her ..long story we lost contact..we did not know she was ill ..her dying wish ..and Mum and dad followed her 18 month later ..with the their own Illnesses 14 years ago ..I learned so much and even now i am still learning about appreciating life ..their love and legacy never leave me and I the is that is the case for many )
Mum used to say .."well I can't take it with me ...." Xxxxxxx

Still no news of my neighbour bless her ...( did not want to be disrespectful and post here as normal without a quick mention ...)

May, it would be wonderful if, by some miracle, she's not in pain and able to talk to nearest and dearest. Thinking of you all, and thank you for updating us. Such a horrible time for you. xx

Still no news of my neighbour bless her ...( did not want to be disrespectful and post here as normal without a quick mention ...)

Hello lovelies ...my neihbours wife is still in a poorly way ...to say the least ...she does not want to go to a hospice so her dear hubby is looking after her .....he still has a walk with the dogs when the nurses take overl...it is keeping him sane bless him and the ladies who usually walk in the same area give him a hug when they see him ...my hubby saw him and said we are thinking of you and he put his hand on my Hubbys shoulder and said ..."Thank you mate" he looks so drawn and thin bless him ....( she keeps asking the nurses when her time will come bless her ...just heart wrenching ....)
Our other neighbour who walks the doggies with him said to me that they try to have a little laugh to ease the tension ...this is all literally keeping him sane... I will leave this thread as it stands and I would imagine the new year might bring the news I don't want to deliver ....it just means the dear soul will be out if her pain ......but her husbands of course and daughters will just be beginning....xx

I know when this happens the time of the year has little bearing but I do think that in future years it makes Christmas such a difficult time for the family, instead of happy festive memories they are overshadowed by the memories of pain and the hurt they are now suffering.

Lets hope it is peaceful when the time comes as it is the best we can ask for.

Latest posts

Back