Heeelp! How to Avoid Beauty TSVs?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I too have a stash of L'Occitane shower gels and soaps etc so have told myself no more till they are used up. I may be 80 by the time it's done but it will get done lol. As for skincare I have got 2 of the AD Judith Williams TSV's as her stuff really agrees with me, and have a few oils and balms from Decleor that I use alongside them. I refuse to buy anymore high end TSV's I will miss the smell of the Decleor oils but can't really see if they make any difference to my skin. This is after I have spent 16 years shopping with them. I enjoyed trying it all but now the novelty has worn off.

With me I think it's the style of cleanser that's important, I was using Liz Earle C&P for years but had stopped buying the TSV's many years ago, and picked up what I needed in John Lewis. I have now switched allegiance to Emma Hardie which I find such a pleasure to use, smells very much like Decleor oils IMO, a little goes a very long way when mixed with water and works well with my new Clarisonic. Due to my age I thought I had better start using an eye cream and a night cream, so went for the starter kit first then the TSV to try. I like it all snd have one in the go and one spare, but just one eye cream ehich I use a pea sized amount of once a day. I don't feel I am old enough or ready for any serious anti- ageing products ( and do wonder about whether they work or not) but If I were in the market for that I would probably choose the Judith Williams based on what I have seen, sizes and price. That would just be creams though as I adore a hit cloth cleanser. I did try the boots one but was underwhelmed so gave it to my mum who likes no 7.

With the l'Occitane we have one liquid soap in the bathroom and one in the kitchen ( we don't have en suites or a downstairs cloakroom in our house) but the bottles do go down fast because the whole family used the Verbena one. I always used to get a dry chapped, eczema like rash in between my fingers, also little blister-type rash when I used other soap or handwash. It was embarassing and there was no point in wearing pretty rings with hands like that. Once I started using the liquid soap it cleared up completely, so I will stick with it. I get it in TSV's or duos so tes it is more expensive but I would rather not have the rash on my hands so I am happy to buy.

My husband and children also pinch my l'Occitane shea shower gels but they leave the Almond Oil one just for me!

With the exception of my husband and children, thanks to recent TSV's or other special prices sets my christmas and birthdays for family is almost sorted.

I find that having prior notice of the TSVs, thank you SCW & Sazza, helps enormously in helping me resist most of the TSVs. Having the time to really think about whether I'd actually use it all & am not just caught up in the hype on the day, especially when it's a popular one that is selling well.

I must have enough stuff stashed away to stock a shop from before I found this site & got some sense, so try to think of things I already own in the brand on air till the shame kicks in. With nail polish, I find getting out what I have in the brand & doing my nails helps keep me off the computer in case I smudge it when still wet!

Went for the recent L'Occitanne TSV because I love all the products.Also stocked up with the liquid soap.I was determined not to go for the last Liz Earle then clicked at the last minute & had to wait for it to come in stock.When it arrived I was very pleased with it ( use LE anyway) the handcream which I would not have bought normally is the best I have ever used.
No longer go for Gatinueau, Elemis, Decleor etc.Am only going for things that I use all the time & seem good value.
Off topic have just clicked the Kipling TSV!!!!as if I need another bag & there is a sale on the Kipling website!

Just another thought Tootie, don't blame yourself for being a sucker. QVC selling techniques are engineered to weaken your resolve and cloud our judgement as to what good value for money is. They may have spent 18mill (so they claim) on the dud studio but this will pale in significance to the cost of market research. That research isn't geared to discovering gaps in the market or even what we want but at constantly creating new product lines you can't live without and creating anxiety about not buying these things by employing limited time offers and reminders of the ticking clock. They appropriate medical terms like 'serum', and employ so called experts so we can convince ourselves we are not falling pray to sales people.
As others have said Sazza and SCW give you advance notice for the product lines you know you are tempted by. Maybe before you tune in spread out all your products on the bed for that line on a TSV day to assess your 'need'.
I don't think people should feel guilty for buying lovely things they want and can afford but if it stops you doing something else you need to do then time to reevaluate.

My claim to fame is that I never bought a TSV Beauty bundle (second claim to fame is I've never worn trainers lol).
Throughout my married life Himself has preached the mantra, "Don't tie my money up in stock." There has always been something(s) in the bundle I knew I would not use, so I was never swayed.

i work out how many hours someone on the minimum wage would have to work to buy the tsv. i also say to myself that there will be another tsv in 3 months. i also check to see if i will use every item in the tsv this has saved me from buying virtually all the nail varnish ones.

I had to have a major overhaul of my spending on Q due to basically now living on a third of what I used to earn before I was ill. I used up all my stash and noticed that despite the hype I had not morphed back into the fresh faced lovely I used to be! So I tho I love beauty products and pampering myself I now go the dreaded high street and again due to finances this is only when I actually need something or when Boots are doing a 3 for 2 promotion. Last week I did really well as I also had a £5 off No 7 voucher which combined with the 3 for 2 saved me loads of cash and I bought eye make up remover, a mascara and a gorgeous purple nail varnish for under £15, plus no p and p, plus advantage points, plus no hanging around waiting for it to arrive. Oh and I met a mate for coffee, cake and a giggle too, so all in all a good time and no guilt about spending.

Today I called the Q and cancelled the AD I had for the Judith Williams Diamond TSV. The main reason is that I love her stuff, but have got one AD not touched as I'm still going through the first one, plus other remnants from her Phytomineral and Life Long Beauty range, so I have about a year's worth of moisturiser in my cupboard I recon, so will use that lot up before buying any more. There will be other JW TSV's I am sure.

I have far more nail varnishes than I know what to do with, so it would have to be a very, very special nail TSV to get my attention now.

It's so easy to get caught up in the hype isn't it ? Silversequin's above post makes a lot of sense, all the high end products I have tried in tsv sets have not lived up to their claims so now I just use what I enjoy using and don't expect miracles from it.

Latest posts

Back