Here's a survey QVC won't be quoting from...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not getting political on a shopping page, but that would never happen, even if they paid their taxes, never in a million years would the less well off and working class reap the benefits. If the Bankers paid what they're supposed to pay, if the Government reversed the millionaires tax breaks, if the House of Lords weren't payed £300 per day plus expenses, they still wouldn't build hospitals, schools or hire more doctors, and I don't mean any offence, but it would be pretty naive to think other wise. They've almost scrapped the benefits systems saving billions, yet still no new Doctors hired, no rises for nurses or schools built.

here here excellent post

Ummmm not really wanting to wade into the middle of a row but I'm wondering if everyone complaining about Amazon and taxes are also declaring all their income from perhaps eBay sales???????

And how many people order online from overseas countries to get items cheaper and avoid paying UK taxes on them

Chloe Everton on Twitter: Ex Sky Sports News Presenter, now hosting on QVC (World's No.1 Global Retailer). Formerly funny. !!!!!!!!!!

So what tax do Amazon not pay? They pay everything that they need to in UK law.

They practice tax avoidance on corporation tax. It isn't illegal but it isn't strictly legal either. If it was legal why would they change the practice? Agreeing to pay millions in tax in this financial year and in the future.

Lots of people clearly have no problem with Amazon, Starbucks etc. I do so I chose not to give them any of my hard earned money.

I'm not getting political on a shopping page, but that would never happen, even if they paid their taxes, never in a million years would the less well off and working class reap the benefits. If the Bankers paid what they're supposed to pay, if the Government reversed the millionaires tax breaks, if the House of Lords weren't payed £300 per day plus expenses, they still wouldn't build hospitals, schools or hire more doctors, and I don't mean any offence, but it would be pretty naive to think other wise. They've almost scrapped the benefits systems saving billions, yet still no new Doctors hired, no rises for nurses or schools built.

Naive? Sorry I disagree. Tax avoidance costs the government millions in lost tax revenue. I cannot agree that with that extra in the budget it would all go on jollies for the old boys network. But like you say let's not get political.

Ummmm not really wanting to wade into the middle of a row but I'm wondering if everyone complaining about Amazon and taxes are also declaring all their income from perhaps eBay sales???????

There is no row to wade into is there?

And as long as you haven't used your CGT allowance elsewhere then you're safe flogging a few bits on eBay. Might be tricky though if one sale nets you over £6k. As when selling a car. That certainly should be declared.

There is no row to wade into is there?

And as long as you haven't used your CGT allowance elsewhere then you're safe flogging a few bits on eBay. Might be tricky though if one sale nets you over £6k. As when selling a car. That certainly should be declared.
I think it would depend on the circumstances, if you had sold your own car for £6k you wouldn't need to declare it in the same way if you traded in a car you wouldn't need to declare that.If you had gone out and bought a car for £4k with the intention of selling it on at a profit then you would need to declare it.

Naive? Sorry I disagree. Tax avoidance costs the government millions in lost tax revenue. I cannot agree that with that extra in the budget it would all go on jollies for the old boys network. But like you say let's not get political.

Entertainers do it, entrepreneurs do it, even your Prime Minister does it.............oh sorry, did you not know that?

Last edited:
Entertainers do it, entrepreneurs do it, even your Prime Minister does it.............oh sorry, did you not know that?

"My" prime minister lol?! Just because some people do it, doesn't make it right. Neither does it mean that they shouldn't be taken to task over it or forced to change.

"My" prime minister lol?! Just because some people do it, doesn't make it right. Neither does it mean that they shouldn't be taken to task over it or forced to change.

I meant "your" as figuratively speaking. Wonder do you shop at Marks and Sparks? Have you bought from Carphone Warehouse? Bought a Take That/Gary Barlow CD? Even QVC were accused of it many years ago, my point in question was, do you not shop at any of the hundreds of companies accused of tax avoidance or is it just Amazon who feel your wrath?...............second thoughts don't answer that, it was a rhetorical question.

Last edited:
I think it would depend on the circumstances, if you had sold your own car for £6k you wouldn't need to declare it in the same way if you traded in a car you wouldn't need to declare that.If you had gone out and bought a car for £4k with the intention of selling it on at a profit then you would need to declare it.

I think it may be you have to declare it if you use it for business? I can't remember. But if you declare it and there's no tax due then its not an issue. Might also be an issue if you own more than one car.

They practice tax avoidance on corporation tax. It isn't illegal but it isn't strictly legal either. If it was legal why would they change the practice? Agreeing to pay millions in tax in this financial year and in the future.

Lots of people clearly have no problem with Amazon, Starbucks etc. I do so I chose not to give them any of my hard earned money.

It's entirely legal. If it wasn't they would not be able to get away with doing it.

If they couldn't do it then they could well invest less in the UK so less jobs. Getting more money from Amazon in tax won't necessarily mean more money in the UK.

I meant "your" as figuratively speaking. Wonder do you shop at Marks and Sparks? Have you bought from Carphone Warehouse? Bought a Take That/Gary Barlow CD? Even QVC were accused of it many years ago, my point in question was, do you not shop at any of the hundreds of companies accused of tax avoidance or is it just Amazon who feel your wrath?...............second thoughts don't answer that, it was a rhetorical question.

Oh Shopperholic the words "hind leg" and "donkey" come to mind.

Bottom line - tax avoidance is perfectly legal, tax evasion isn't! HMRC have and will go after eBay sellers. Benefits are also an income and additional earnings have to be declared. Wouldnt it be lovely if we could self administer all these things and decide for ourselves if we pay tax or not - sadly that is not the world or country we live in!

Anyway, this thread is way of tangent now! Wondering if QVC fitted the criteria for this poll in the first place?

I had to think about it too. I think Weathergirl means to talk the hind leg of a donkey. I must say I am finding the thread very entertaining.

Wouldnt it be lovely if we could self administer all these things and decide for ourselves if we pay tax or not - sadly that is not the world or country we live in!

I'm sure people would be queuing up to pay tax if they didn't need to.

Latest posts

Back