Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So called' Gem Expert' Dave Troth is flogging a Lepidolite bangle. Treatment = filled.

He says "We like to be open and transparent with you. This has had slight fissue filling. It's like a wax coating over the top".

Erm..... no it isn't. Fracture filling involves actually penetrating the stone to fill in any cracks and crevices within it.

It really boils my blood when invasive treatments are shrugged off as being minimal. They do the same when something is heat treated - claiming it's had "just a little bit of heat". Heat treated stones are heated to extreme temperatures. They make it sound like its been dangled over a tea light for 30 seconds.

The plot thickens with this bangle.

Earlier today, the same bangle was shown on Jewellery Maker. NO treatments showing on screen - and Dave said, quite carefully in his wording, that "the colour in this is completely natural" (he didn't say the material itself was natural............).

So, today no treatments were showing - but yesterday, on Gems TV, the same bangle was showing as being filled.

I'm going to clarify this with the ASA now because if they've 'forgotten' to display the treatments on Jewellery Maker, this means that Gemporia has broken the 'final warning' that they were given last week about making graphics more prominent on screen!

The idiot is at it again right now: "My advice to you is to get as many as you can". £249 Tourmaline ring.

Yeah no worries Jess. I'll just add it to this weeks shopping list:

12 Eggs - £1.89
2 bags of pasta - £1.20
Kitchen rolls - £1.80
6 Tourmaline rings - £1494
You have a cheap supermarket :p Ooo, except for that last item ;)

They make it sound like its been dangled over a tea light for 30 seconds.
A kimbie tea light? :p

The plot thickens with this bangle.

Earlier today, the same bangle was shown on Jewellery Maker. NO treatments showing on screen - and Dave said, quite carefully in his wording, that "the colour in this is completely natural" (he didn't say the material itself was natural............).

So, today no treatments were showing - but yesterday, on Gems TV, the same bangle was showing as being filled.

I'm going to clarify this with the ASA now because if they've 'forgotten' to display the treatments on Jewellery Maker, this means that Gemporia has broken the 'final warning' that they were given last week about making graphics more prominent on screen!
I thought I saw him on JM this morning. I switched off. Yes, I saw it was that same bangle from yesterday. If I 'have' to watch him now (yesterday was the example) I watch with one eye and one ear. Surprised how long he was on my TV yesterday: 2 items worth.

Pig Trough was on lecturing and selling his usual swill. A truly awful slab of so called mutton fat jade that had been “fashioned” into a pendant. TBH I thought it was a piece of leftover white quartz kitchen counter top.

I wonder how many more tonnes of Jadeite he's got left to flog? It's been on our screens daily for well over a year and a half now.

Troth was on this morning - and I get the impression he's either been reading this forum, or he knows something that I don't yet known (a possibility that he's been warned by either the ASA or the NJA about using misleading names).

He went into GREAT DEPTH explaining why Quartzite-Jade IS a Jadeite (in his belief anyway).

He said, in words to the effect of, it's that new a variety of Jade, only the far east recognise it - and even the GIA didn't recognise it.

There was a distinct smell of bulls**t wafting over from my TV as he spoke.

So, how do you explain 'Serpentine Jade' and 'Maw-Sit-Sit Jade' then Dave? Both of which you've been flogging with the 'Jade' suffix, none of which are Jade. Do the GIA not recognise those either, or could it just be that you're full of s**t and trying to mislead people?

I know which one my bet is on..........

I think it's a pity for the channel, it feels like he's always onscreen looking tense. I just flicked on, saw Dave, heard him say can I have a 30 second clock and switched off again. I used to really enjoy having it on in the background when I wfh on a Friday, but it just gets on my nerves now and I haven't bought any jewellery in ages and ages

Latest posts

Back