Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think it's a pity for the channel, it feels like he's always onscreen looking tense. I just flicked on, saw Dave, heard him say can I have a 30 second clock and switched off again. I used to really enjoy having it on in the background when I wfh on a Friday, but it just gets on my nerves now and I haven't bought any jewellery in ages and ages
Him and his clocks drive me insane! When one winds down, he asks for another fgs!!

Troth was on this morning - and I get the impression he's either been reading this forum, or he knows something that I don't yet known (a possibility that he's been warned by either the ASA or the NJA about using misleading names).

He went into GREAT DEPTH explaining why Quartzite-Jade IS a Jadeite (in his belief anyway).

He said, in words to the effect of, it's that new a variety of Jade, only the far east recognise it - and even the GIA didn't recognise it.

There was a distinct smell of bulls**t wafting over from my TV as he spoke.

So, how do you explain 'Serpentine Jade' and 'Maw-Sit-Sit Jade' then Dave? Both of which you've been flogging with the 'Jade' suffix, none of which are Jade. Do the GIA not recognise those either, or could it just be that you're full of s**t and trying to mislead people?

I know which one my bet is on..........
Soooo, I am NOT being a bugger and contradicting, but I've been looking to see if the term Jade covers many stones. Only two, as you know, but I did look. Gave myself a mini headache ;) BUT found an Australian site that, if you scroll, tells you some stones that can be confused for Jade. Does that make the slightest sense? They are NOT jade. Quite an interesting read, and it was done in a fraction of the time of a DT lecture. :p
1712936609394.png

I think Jade Troth will be affecting sales. I just cannot listen to him, I can imagine other customers turning on to Gems, see him and know that he will be droning and waffling on for virtually the whole hour and just switch off.

I just cannot get my head around why it is carrying on week in, week out. I would imagine the presenters must surely feel the same, as if I cannot listen, I cannot imagine what it is like to have to listen to him all the time and not be able to escape!

I just can't watch him, or his endless clocks! I like to watch jewellery, but they just don't show any, they really need to listen to the feedback
I agree, quite often I just think, show the flaming jewellery and let's get on with it.

I agree, quite often I just think, show the flaming jewellery and let's get on with it.
I had time to kill earlier so watched a show of his: mabe pearls. I wanted to watch something else on the half hour, but for that first 30 mins of hearing him, he started to fade into the background. Drone is not the word. I think he has a tape machine in his pocket and presses play on entrance. He doesn't seem to stop once he gets started. Basically in that time, there wasn't even a preview of the jewellery, let alone one sold.

Soooo, I am NOT being a bugger and contradicting, but I've been looking to see if the term Jade covers many stones. Only two, as you know, but I did look. Gave myself a mini headache ;) BUT found an Australian site that, if you scroll, tells you some stones that can be confused for Jade. Does that make the slightest sense? They are NOT jade. Quite an interesting read, and it was done in a fraction of the time of a DT lecture. :p
View attachment 28290

The 'common name' should be their 'real' name. The likes of Indian Jade, Queensland Jade, etc are 'marketing names' designed to mislead.

Jasper is one that really annoys me - so many stones are referred to as a 'Jasper' - but most Jasper's are not actually real Jasper.

'Dalmatian Jasper' for example is not a real Jasper. Bumble Bee Jasper is also not a real Jasper. 'K2 Jasper' is also not a real Jasper - it is granite with azurite inclusions.

Agate, Onyx and Chalcedony are other stones were the the names get muddled up across the industry. Black Onyx for example is one that is a contradiction in itself. If it is pure black then it is Chalcedony - not Onyx.

The only difference between Chalcedony, Agate and Onyx is patterning.

Chalcedony has no banding.
Onyx has straight, parallel banding.
Agate has curved or wavy banding.

This is why I believe the entire industry needs regulating. It's a mess.

Him and his clocks drive me insane! When one winds down, he asks for another fgs!!
The only clock I want to see is the one that counts down to the end of Jadeite and Dave Troth FOREVER!

Last edited:
I think it's a pity for the channel, it feels like he's always onscreen looking tense. I just flicked on, saw Dave, heard him say can I have a 30 second clock and switched off again. I used to really enjoy having it on in the background when I wfh on a Friday, but it just gets on my nerves now and I haven't bought any jewellery in ages and ages

He always has the look on his face of someone that is stuck on a train for an hour, without a working toilet, holding onto a turd with clenched cheeks, looking tense and nervous wondering if he's going to make it to the journey's end without soiling his trousers.

I think Jade Troth will be affecting sales. I just cannot listen to him, I can imagine other customers turning on to Gems, see him and know that he will be droning and waffling on for virtually the whole hour and just switch off.

I just cannot get my head around why it is carrying on week in, week out. I would imagine the presenters must surely feel the same, as if I cannot listen, I cannot imagine what it is like to have to listen to him all the time and not be able to escape!
The only logical conclusion to this is that the mark up on these items must be astronomical hence justifying the hours of wasted air time and loss of a lot of customer support. Nothing else makes sense. And as others have rightly pointed out there are better items out there for a fraction of the cost.

I see there is more Conch or Jadeite or whatever on again today. There can’t be any left in the world lol! I did buy the Argentium silver ring last week, first purchase in over 15 months. It’s very nice I have to say. Next purchase? Not for a very long time.

I see there is more Conch or Jadeite or whatever on again today. There can’t be any left in the world lol! I did buy the Argentium silver ring last week, first purchase in over 15 months. It’s very nice I have to say. Next purchase? Not for a very long time.
They could learn a lot. Their Britannia, Argentium & Fine silver items look modern, weighty and reasonably priced (some times more reasonably than others depending on the time of day!). Ditch the "gold plated", "gold flash". Keep the Midas but for sensible items like neckwear or charms.

Just because it does fascinate me......
I wonder how presenters like Troth feel at the end of their time on screen. He expends so much air time and energy describing the industry and what is going on. Shows the non availability of the material and the unattainable prices of the material where it can be sourced. Offers other pricing for what can be charged by the big jewellery houses who are using simulants due to the non availability of said material. The delight of the pre-orders as customers get congratulated 'Mary in Ohio just bought two sets'. Then the first price is given - a world beating price and 'I am nowhere near done'. The price solicits more purchases and more names to be congratulated. The screen is shown covered with names as the final price is announced and he feels slightly sick at what he has just done. The on screen availability slowly reduces and eventually shows zero.
Some minutes later I look at the Just Missed page and there is still stock! But it was all sold - curious. And what about the multi buyers? Just my theory and based on my own behaviour historically; when Gemporia et al are selling items like pearls, agates, and generally non transparent gems, I think that the stock in inventory doesn't necessarily have the same visual attributes as the beauty show chosen piece for the aired sample. Pearls for example can show pitting and be a range of shades. The patterns on agates and minerals vary from visually attractive to sort of splodged. So personally I would order a few examples on Split Pay to review them when they arrive and return the non liked for the refund. Yes it will cost me the return postage but if it is an item that I genuinely like and want, and considering the world beating cost and cost saving it could be worth considering the price of the return as part of the deal.
But all that effort and still stock remains - .must be disappointing.

The patterns on agates and minerals vary from visually attractive to sort of splodged. So personally I would order a few examples on Split Pay to review them when they arrive and return the non liked for the refund. Yes it will cost me the return postage but if it is an item that I genuinely like and want, and considering the world beating cost and cost saving it could be worth considering the price of the return as part of the deal.
But all that effort and still stock remains - .must be disappointing.
I agree. I know all stones are different, but I've seen more than one example of an item shown on the programme and liked all of them, bought one and it's been a virtual solid colour: I don't like too busy, but I do like some markings, IF they are what the item is known for. And I don't 'sadly' have the funds to multi buy some things.

And talking of left over stock. Those midnight blue sapphires they raved on about (all 3 items). All sold out 'on the night' and the very next day they were still on sale.

If everything is 'selling out' on the night, and then it's available again the very next day, it means people are cancelling their orders before the midnight 'cut off'.

If people are cancelling their orders, then it must mean only one thing - the prices are higher than people expected to pay.

Take note Gemporia!

The 'common name' should be their 'real' name. The likes of Indian Jade, Queensland Jade, etc are 'marketing names' designed to mislead.

Jasper is one that really annoys me - so many stones are referred to as a 'Jasper' - but most Jasper's are not actually real Jasper.

'Dalmatian Jasper' for example is not a real Jasper. Bumble Bee Jasper is also not a real Jasper. 'K2 Jasper' is also not a real Jasper - it is granite with azurite inclusions.

Agate, Onyx and Chalcedony are other stones were the the names get muddled up across the industry. Black Onyx for example is one that is a contradiction in itself. If it is pure black then it is Chalcedony - not Onyx.

The only clock I want to see is the one that counts down to the end of Jadeite and Dave Troth FOREVER!
And so say all of us!

And then there's the utter misinformation/confusion online about "sardonyx" 😀
20240414_072647.jpg

Latest posts

Back