Lola Rose Jewellery Designs TSV 07/10/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have bought many Lola pieces over the years but truly hate the metal beads imho look tacky and cheap, go back to your original designs pleeese even these are pricey and sometimes I think twice before ordering as p&p costs mount up.

I have bought many Lola pieces over the years but truly hate the metal beads imho look tacky and cheap, go back to your original designs pleeese even these are pricey and sometimes I think twice before ordering as p&p costs mount up.

I don't know if you saw, but Nikki re-released some of her early designs for the anniversary shows earlier in the year. Some really beautiful pieces. I was delighted with all the ones I bought. Have to say, the only quality issues I have ever personally experienced with Lola were with the slider on that Valerie bracelet not remaining done up, and the occasional bracelet needing swapping out because the stones are chipped. I liked that they introduced the metal accents as it brought something different to the collection, and I think it does lift the designs in some of the pieces, but I have friends who have had issues with the base metal discolouring, and it worries me that I could lose half of my expensive collection. Like you say, they really aren't cheap, and you'd want them to last forever at those prices. I am now being much more selective about the ones with metal that I buy.

I haven't had a problem with Niki adding metal beads to her designs. The look is ok with me. But I had read here about some of the metal beads tarnishing and had hoped that it wouldn't happen to any of the bracelets that I had bought. Well I recently discovered that the rose-tone metal beads of my Erskine peach calcite (similar to the Starla) just recently tarnished. With some of the beads the colour just seems to have 'fallen' off or turned. I am so disappointed as the peach calcite was a favourite.

It does bother me that Niki (whom I like very much as she comes across as genuine on screen) talks about quality and how she is very meticulous regarding her products, that they meet a standard. Yet the problem with the metal beads discolouring in such a short time shows that there is a serious problem with the manufacture of the beads and one that Lola Rose has not resolved or seems uninterested in doing so. Otherwise it would have been done.

Good fashion/costume jewellery that my mom has from the '60s and '70s has remained gold in tone (not the real thing!), not tarnishing or turning, looking as good the day they were bought or received as gifts. So in today's world with technology supposedly better and making things more affordable, why is it not possible to make 'toned' or 'plated' metal last longer than just a couple of years? Often touted as being heirloom potentials these items won't last 10-20 or more years and often not stand the test of quality or time that costume/fashion jewellery will be able to do.

I am very disappointed that the metal beads are not of a quality that LR claim them to be and will think very carefully before buying any more LR. I often like the designs that use the beads but the bracelets and such are just too expensive for them not to keep their looks longer than a couple of years. For some the turning of colour to something undesirable (like black) happened much more quickly. How disappointing LR has turned out to be.

I haven't had a problem with Niki adding metal beads to her designs. The look is ok with me. But I had read here about some of the metal beads tarnishing and had hoped that it wouldn't happen to any of the bracelets that I had bought. Well I recently discovered that the rose-tone metal beads of my Erskine peach calcite (similar to the Starla) just recently tarnished. With some of the beads the colour just seems to have 'fallen' off or turned. I am so disappointed as the peach calcite was a favourite.

It does bother me that Niki (whom I like very much as she comes across as genuine on screen) talks about quality and how she is very meticulous regarding her products, that they meet a standard. Yet the problem with the metal beads discolouring in such a short time shows that there is a serious problem with the manufacture of the beads and one that Lola Rose has not resolved or seems uninterested in doing so. Otherwise it would have been done.

Good fashion/costume jewellery that my mom has from the '60s and '70s has remained gold in tone (not the real thing!), not tarnishing or turning, looking as good the day they were bought or received as gifts. So in today's world with technology supposedly better and making things more affordable, why is it not possible to make 'toned' or 'plated' metal last longer than just a couple of years? Often touted as being heirloom potentials these items won't last 10-20 or more years and often not stand the test of quality or time that costume/fashion jewellery will be able to do.

I am very disappointed that the metal beads are not of a quality that LR claim them to be and will think very carefully before buying any more LR. I often like the designs that use the beads but the bracelets and such are just too expensive for them not to keep their looks longer than a couple of years. For some the turning of colour to something undesirable (like black) happened much more quickly. How disappointing LR has turned out to be.

I've got the Erskine in Moroccan Blue Quartzite, and the metal beads on that weren't the usual shiny gold tone brass, but more like a gold leaf-effect paint. From what I can remember, though, the metal beads on the Peach Calcite one were the usual shiny gold tone brass, weren't they? That's so disappointing to lose one of your favourites. I wonder whether they are using the metal beads more and more as there's more profit to be made in those pieces. The profit on a necklace like the one below, for example, must be huge, when you think about how little semi-precious stone you're getting for the money:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Lola-Rose-Neri....305731.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-57-_-305731

Completely agree with you that it's something they need to address, and have been meaning to email them about it for a while. It might be worth emailing them about your Erskine, even though it's a couple of years old, as they might be able to find you one. Other than that, maybe keep an eye on eBay, as you may be able to pick one up second hand.

I have my bracelets grouped in their colours on those display stands with the tubes that you can slide the bracelets onto, so I can quickly and easily choose which one(s) I want to wear each day, but the metal ones would probably be better off in a drawer, from the point of view of them tarnishing. Not from the point of view of me being able to find, wear and enjoy them, though! Below is my current favourite, I will be gutted if / when that one tarnishes!

http://www.qvcuk.com/Lola-Rose-Elem...html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-10-_-306967

I really hope that she sticks with the chinese knots, and doesn't decide that the branded slider nugget looks more "high end" than the existing tag branding, as that would mean that all the pieces would have a shelf life.

I don't understand at all why a high-end brand would devalue their jewellery with poor quality base metal trimmings. It can surely only be a recipe for disaster as original fans become disillusioned, and newer buyers have one horrible experience and never trust the brand again.

It seems such a shame, and Nicki always strikes me as a very nice and genuine person. I don't doubt that it's a struggle to keep prices competitive, and especially to offer QVC the discounts that they undoubtedly demand when buying (although they don't then offer such great discounts a lot of the time when selling these days), but to sacrifice the brand's reputation seems extremely counter-productive to me.

I've got the Erskine in Moroccan Blue Quartzite, and the metal beads on that weren't the usual shiny gold tone brass, but more like a gold leaf-effect paint. From what I can remember, though, the metal beads on the Peach Calcite one were the usual shiny gold tone brass, weren't they? That's so disappointing to lose one of your favourites. I wonder whether they are using the metal beads more and more as there's more profit to be made in those pieces. The profit on a necklace like the one below, for example, must be huge, when you think about how little semi-precious stone you're getting for the money:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Lola-Rose-Neri....305731.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-57-_-305731

Completely agree with you that it's something they need to address, and have been meaning to email them about it for a while. It might be worth emailing them about your Erskine, even though it's a couple of years old, as they might be able to find you one. Other than that, maybe keep an eye on eBay, as you may be able to pick one up second hand.

I have my bracelets grouped in their colours on those display stands with the tubes that you can slide the bracelets onto, so I can quickly and easily choose which one(s) I want to wear each day, but the metal ones would probably be better off in a drawer, from the point of view of them tarnishing. Not from the point of view of me being able to find, wear and enjoy them, though! Below is my current favourite, I will be gutted if / when that one tarnishes!

http://www.qvcuk.com/Lola-Rose-Elem...html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-10-_-306967

I really hope that she sticks with the chinese knots, and doesn't decide that the branded slider nugget looks more "high end" than the existing tag branding, as that would mean that all the pieces would have a shelf life.

The peach calcite Erskine with rose tone beads had a somewhat 'bright' rose gold type beads. When I bought it nothing unusual was apparent. It looked nice. It wasn't until I went to put it on this past weekend that the darkness had appeared on a couple of beads. I took a tissue and gently touched one bead and the remaining rose tone colour came off. I have kept my LR bracelets in a jewellery box, don't wear them when doing the dishes or housework if I use any cleaner or spray and I put perfume (if wearing any) on before I put the bracelets on. Plus I tend to put fragrance on the inside of my elbow. It's one thing to be careful with a piece but you do have to go about your business which means being active. The plating/colouring process needs to be improved and looked at by LR or else those who buy the necklaces (which cost a lot more) and are the types with lots of chain and small stones will be very unhappy.

It was a shock when it happened to mine. Now I know what others have experienced.

Having read about how you have been disappointed with your LR jewellery just thought I would add that I make bracelets,necklaces,rings etc for friends and family members using semiprecious stones. Plated as well as sterling silver sheet,wire and findings.My plated findings and wire do tarnish over time but last well in most cases.Many of the stones are obtained quite cheaply from various suppliers.If LR is using inferior plated beads to replace the number of real stones it does sound like a profitable enterprise.Very sad for you who enjoy the styles.You have treated the plated jewellery correctly so it should really last for a reasonable time in my opinion. Depending on what the base metal is ,what it's plated with and how thick etc

I don't understand at all why a high-end brand would devalue their jewellery with poor quality base metal trimmings. It can surely only be a recipe for disaster as original fans become disillusioned, and newer buyers have one horrible experience and never trust the brand again.

It seems such a shame, and Nicki always strikes me as a very nice and genuine person. I don't doubt that it's a struggle to keep prices competitive, and especially to offer QVC the discounts that they undoubtedly demand when buying (although they don't then offer such great discounts a lot of the time when selling these days), but to sacrifice the brand's reputation seems extremely counter-productive to me.

The QVC prices are normally a bit cheaper than the Lola Rose RRP, but Lola's own website do sales at the end of each season, where they discount items by up to 70%. The reason I mainly buy my LR from Q is that they have many exclusive styles and colours. It's strange what has happened with LR's pricing, as the bracelets have continued to go up, with many delicate styles being £30-40, but the necklaces seem to have come down, meaning you can now get a chunky necklace for less than £50. House of Fraser in Bluewater used to have a big display cabinet of LR, but they no longer stock it, although the website has quite a wide range, including this season's pieces. The selection is always fairly paltry in John Lewis and Bentalls, know they are also in Fenwicks, Harvey Nichols and some independents. I would imagine Q is their biggest client, though, and I think their customers are quite discerning, so they will have to be careful.

Having read about how you have been disappointed with your LR jewellery just thought I would add that I make bracelets,necklaces,rings etc for friends and family members using semiprecious stones. Plated as well as sterling silver sheet,wire and findings.My plated findings and wire do tarnish over time but last well in most cases.Many of the stones are obtained quite cheaply from various suppliers.If LR is using inferior plated beads to replace the number of real stones it does sound like a profitable enterprise.Very sad for you who enjoy the styles.You have treated the plated jewellery correctly so it should really last for a reasonable time in my opinion. Depending on what the base metal is ,what it's plated with and how thick etc

The base metal is brass, and it's just described as "gold / silver / rose gold - tone". How lovely that you can give your friends and family something you've made yourself, makes it really special. I used to do a bit of beading.

Sounds like there's just some kind of coating that wears off.Maybe not a plating. Obviously I'm no expert though.
Thanks, it's a nice hobby isn't it?
Make when I have time,as it's relaxing after a stressful job.

Lola Rose Nikki Semi Precious Luxe Slider Bracelet
Item Number: 307333
QVC Price £32.00
Todays Special Value Price £23.98
P&P: £3.95

Featuring the classic Lola Rose semi-precious tumble bead style, this elegant bracelet has a new, updated slider clasp design embellished with the Lola Rose logo. With an array of new colour mixes, this adjustable piece looks equally stylish when worn alone, or stacked with other wristwear.

A one-off piece - each design is crafted from natural stone, meaning no two bracelets are the same.

A gorgeous gift - with an adjustable clasp, this bracelet has been created to fit most wrist sizes, making it an ideal present. Plus with a variety of colours to choose, you can select one design for you and others for your friends, giving it an extra personal touch.

Semi-precious stones, brass and cord
Circumference (adjustable): 12cm - 18cm (4.7" x 7.1")

Colour options:

Tie dye
Soft Pink Mix
Ice Blue Mix
Hot Pink Mix
Scarlet
Monochrome
Rainbow
Forest Mix

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.307333

Tie dye and rainbow would be my guess for going first. Lola Rose can sell out in some colours in the midnight hour. I would say it would definitely be worth buying the matching necklace now, if you want that, as stock levels on that will be much lower.

Tie dye and rainbow would be my guess for going first. Lola Rose can sell out in some colours in the midnight hour. I would say it would definitely be worth buying the matching necklace now, if you want that, as stock levels on that will be much lower.

I agree , I like both of these. I think if I had to choose I would go for the tie dye! I am however sitting on my hands, I do not need one of these and I do not like that slider fastening!

Just had a quick look and landed on those LR rings that just look like costume jewellery, I know they're "semi precious " stones (or slightly precious) stones, but £23.50 for basically what you can see in any accessory store for a couple of quid, not "semi" granted but the look is the same. Like we always say though, each to their own I suppose.

I was in the kitchen (repeat hour) but did I detect the usual fumbling confusion about colour names? Surely not! that with an over zealous Alison & the mention of the C word at every turn, I'm out.

The other thing with LR is that you can see very similar styles, and definitely in semi-precious stones - usually Agate - on both Gems and TJC, and much cheaper AND without those slider adjusters. Gems used to sell sets of similar bracelets - usually in 2's or 4's of different colours - and the prices were about £15 for a set of 2, sometimes cheaper depending on the size of the stones. I've got a set of 2 Agate bracelets, one bracelet is neutrals in beige and cream and the other one is cherry red, and bought years ago, which I'm still wearing regularly. They have the conventional silver lobster claw clasps. (PS: hope the house search is progressing well - we did it a few years back and although at times it made you want to chew off your fingers and stay put, it was best move we've made (pardon the pun!). Stay with it, hoping you find something suitable very soon, and good luck with the search).
Just had a quick look and landed on those LR rings that just look like costume jewellery, I know they're "semi precious " stones (or slightly precious) stones, but £23.50 for basically what you can see in any accessory store for a couple of quid, not "semi" granted but the look is the same. Like we always say though, each to their own I suppose.

I was watching this morning before 8, and waiting with baited breath for the usual "is this colour the Pink Delight or the Puke Pink?", but apart from a little hesitancy, I thought it wasn't too bad - at least, while I was watching, I can't speak for rest of the hour.
I was in the kitchen (repeat hour) but did I detect the usual fumbling confusion about colour names? Surely not! that with an over zealous Alison & the mention of the C word at every turn, I'm out.

Latest posts

Back