Lost Trust In Gemporia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jimapak

Registered Shopper
I have lost trust in gemporia, all the sales people are fake and lie through their teath.

They change the names of gemstones to try and fool us and the prices are extremely high for what they sell.

I will never buy anything from them ever again, I have deleted the app from my phone, goodbye gemporia your not getting anymore of my hard earned cash.

I have lost trust in gemporia, all the sales people are fake and lie through their teath.

They change the names of gemstones to try and fool us and the prices are extremely high for what they sell.

I will never buy anything from them ever again, I have deleted the app from my phone, goodbye gemporia your not getting anymore of my hard earned cash.
Good for you. There are much better places to buy from, lots of small companies making beautiful things for reasonable prices.

I also bought a lot from them years ago, all very hit and miss. Some was worth it, some obviously not, but it was addictive. At the time it was unusual to be able to access some of the stones but with the explosion of the internet there is a lot more competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't inform you if the gemstone is treated or not.
To be fair, neither do Gemporia's presenters. They'll merrily rave about the spectacular neon pink shade of a topaz as if it's natural, but when the graphics eventually scroll through you see that it's coated.

Well, I would know because I went searching the website ages ago to find out what it all means. But I wonder how many lonely and vulnerable viewers, who trust the presenters and buyers implicitly and only go by what they hear during a live sale, would know enough to do the same?

It's not an "informed decision" to buy if you don't know what information you're getting. Or if presenters blithely miss off important bits like dyeing, coatings or gem fillings while doing their bad pantomime acting to get their sales. Or use emotive trigger words like "legacy", "heirloom" "collectors" "connoisseurs" (as per Jess Foley) and "luxury" to get people buying

To be fair, neither do Gemporia's presenters. They'll merrily rave about the spectacular neon pink shade of a topaz as if it's natural, but when the graphics eventually scroll through you see that it's coated.

Well, I would know because I went searching the website ages ago to find out what it all means. But I wonder how many lonely and vulnerable viewers, who trust the presenters and buyers implicitly and only go by what they hear during a live sale, would know enough to do the same?

It's not an "informed decision" to buy if you don't know what information you're getting. Or if presenters blithely miss off important bits like dyeing, coatings or gem fillings while doing their bad pantomime acting to get their sales. Or use emotive trigger words like "legacy", "heirloom" "collectors" "connoisseurs" (as per Jess Foley) and "luxury" to get people buying
In the beginning I used to buy from Gemporia Polska TV, then I started using Polish website. One day I discovered that sometimes Polish website doesn't inform customers about gemstone treatments, and English website does. This is when I learned to always check both descriptions. I'm glad that I didn't make too many shopping mistakes.

I agree Vapidstoat. They have plenty of time to address the various coating, fillings and irradiation processes during the presentation. If they have time to have a half hour lecture and ten minutes for a chat with the Gallery, they can tell you what has new done to your Ruby to make it so affordable.

In the beginning I used to buy from Gemporia Polska TV, then I started using Polish website. One day I discovered that sometimes Polish website doesn't inform customers about gemstone treatments, and English website does. This is when I learned to always check both descriptions. I'm glad that I didn't make too many shopping mistakes.
Fair selling would be giving customers the same information in live presentations that they give on their website.

Gemporia is also reticent to describe gemstones' hardness, cleavage and durability. Which is pretty important when buying gems like sphenes, pearls, opals, kyanite and moonstones. Especially when they're set into rings. But you never hear a peep out of the presenters.

God help you if you've just bought a moonstone ring in a prong setting like Ellis was selling earlier, and the only information you have are the little factual snippets she deigned to say amongst the usual flannel. The stone will probably be scratched to Hell in a couple of days. If not shattered.

They won't inform you if the gemstone is treated or not.
I think one can use common sense if one has a bit of knowledge. Gemporia used to talk about how high street jewellers had never heard of tanzanite etc but that hasn't been true for a long time. They also speak as if the only choice you have is Boodles, H Samuel or them, but that's really not true either. It depends what you want. If you were spending a lot of money obviously you might want more information about the stone.

I think one can use common sense if one has a bit of knowledge. Gemporia used to talk about how high street jewellers had never heard of tanzanite etc but that hasn't been true for a long time. They also speak as if the only choice you have is Boodles, H Samuel or them, but that's really not true either. It depends what you want. If you were spending a lot of money obviously you might want more information about the stone.
Where to go when I want to buy an untreated amethyst/aquamarine/morganite cabochon in sterling silver?

Where to go when I want to buy an untreated amethyst/aquamarine/morganite cabochon in sterling silver?
Start with a search on Google (other search engines are available), see what comes up, and move on from there looking at your stone preference, size and carat weight?

Has there been a lot of natural amethyst, aquamarine or morganite cabochons set in sterling silver of a decent metal weight appearing on Gemporia lately? And if there has, what were the prices like?

I can understand feeling nervous at trying somewhere new for jewellery. But everyone was new to Gemporia once, and we all took a gamble. Some have been lucky enough to have bought jewellery that has stood the test of time from them, that they still enjoy and are proud of.

But is today's Gemporia the same company it used to be? If you think it is, after the months of posts from frankly peed-off ex-customers on this site describing tbe multitude of problems they have encountered or witnessed over a considerable period of time, then that's fine. It's your money, after all.

I can only speak for myself, and I am in no mind to give that company my money for overhyped dyed, coated or filled tatty gems in gold tone/flash/coloured paint or whatever that they're brazenly telling the viewers are "legacy pieces". It would be far simpler to go to an ATM, withdraw money I can't afford to lose and drop it straight down the drain. It's ultimately providing the same result

2-3 years ago Gemporia was in full bloom. Many different gemstones, low prices, good weight of silver (but not gold). In 2022, especially in the second part of that year, things changed drastically. The prices skyrocketed, probably because of the global financial crisis. Heavily treated gemstones (e.g. filled amazonites) became more prevalent. It looked like Gemporia was less able to purchase high quality stones from its vendors. The company started to manipulate with prices of jadeites and nephrites. I noticed that they like to hide jade items on their website (if you don't know the design codes, you can't find jade products easly). In early 2023 Gemporia Lifestyle was closed down, and Gems TV changed its live hours of broadcast. I know that they have some problems, but I wish them all the best.

Believe it or not, eBay or Etsy, quite a number of independent small jewellers who do handmade jewellery sell on there.

I used to get custom-made earrings from a lady who sold on eBay and in 9ct gold as well. Unfortunately, she disappeared or closed her shop? I used to get earrings to match rings I bought from Gems from her.

These jewellers, you can ask questions before you buy.

These jewellers, you can ask questions before you buy.
Small jewellers can prove that the gemstone is Earth-mined, but can't prove that it's untreated.

I don't want beautiful words. Small jewellers don't hire professional gemologists and don't send their stones to laboratories. I won't buy Earth-mined amethysts, aquamarines or morganites if there's a possibility that they were heated, irradiated or filled. In such cases it's safer to buy cubic zirconias.

Small jewellers can prove that the gemstone is Earth-mined, but can't prove that it's untreated.

I don't want beautiful words. Small jewellers don't hire professional gemologists and don't send their stones to laboratories. I won't buy Earth-mined amethysts, aquamarines or morganites if there's a possibility that they were heated, irradiated or filled. In such cases it's safer to buy cubic zirconias.

That's not true. Many small jewellers, sole traders and gem re-sellers are qualified gemmologists.

There are also those that aren't - but they know EXACTLY where their sourced stones are from, what their treatments are, etc because they buy from reputable sellers that provide certificates of authenticity and come with a reliable paper trail.

They're likely to be more trustworthy or reliable than Gemporia these days too because their treatments are often wrong on-screen, and their certificates of authenticity are often incorrect too. I'm not convinced that they send every stone to be lab tested these days - if they did, there wouldn't be 'mistakes' as often as there are.

As for the stones you've mentioned, Gemporia haven't sold untreated Morganite in silver for years anyway. They sell irradiated Goshenite that has got the slightest hint of wishy-washy pink - and they sell it as Morganite. The only natural Morganite Gemporia have sold in recent years is the Cherry Blossom Morganite that Yianni sourced for them. They were 'proper', untreated, actually strong Pink, Morganite - but they were all set into gold. There were also some set into the Sarah Bennett collections - but those were heavily included and almost opaque.

There is plenty of Amethyst and Aquamarine available that is untreated. It is fairly easy to tell whether a seller is being honest with treatments by looking at them. Most untreated Aquamarine is greenish-blue. Heat treatment takes out the secondary green colour, making it more of a pure sky blue colour. In most cases, when an Aquamarine is pure blue, unless it is an expensive stone, it's highly likely heat treated. If it's greenish-blue, it's untreated.

The same applies to Amethyst. Secondary hues are a sign that Amethyst is untreated. Zambian Amethyst tends to be Purple with a blue secondary hue, Moroccan tends to be Purple with a Red secondary hue - but almost all heated Amethyst is pure Purple because heat treatment removes the secondary hue.

That's not true. Many small jewellers, sole traders and gem re-sellers are qualified gemmologists.

There are also those that aren't - but they know EXACTLY where their sourced stones are from, what their treatments are, etc because they buy from reputable sellers that provide certificates of authenticity and come with a reliable paper trail.

What companies do you recommend? Are their prices as good as Gemporia's? Do they send their products abroad?

Gemporia haven't sold untreated Morganite in silver for years anyway.

Not true. They have some silver pieces with untreated morganites. Available examples: QYPO70, ZSPO37, HKPO17, DWPO68, LHPO14. Currently unavailable examples (from 2021 and early 2022): ETPO74, TWPO31, WIPO61.

There is plenty of Amethyst and Aquamarine available that is untreated. It is fairly easy to tell whether a seller is being honest with treatments by looking at them. Most untreated Aquamarine is greenish-blue. Heat treatment takes out the secondary green colour, making it more of a pure sky blue colour. In most cases, when an Aquamarine is pure blue, unless it is an expensive stone, it's highly likely heat treated. If it's greenish-blue, it's untreated.

The same applies to Amethyst. Secondary hues are a sign that Amethyst is untreated. Zambian Amethyst tends to be Purple with a blue secondary hue, Moroccan tends to be Purple with a Red secondary hue - but almost all heated Amethyst is pure Purple because heat treatment removes the secondary hue.

I've already known about the greenish blue hue of untreated aquamarines. But I have some opaque, sky blue aquamarines from Gemporia and they all (except one ring) are described as untreated. They weren't expensive, possibly due to their lack of clarity.

I didn't know about the double purple colour of heat-treated amethysts. Thank you very much for the info. (y)

Last edited:
And they don't change the names of gemstones like gemporia do to try to make you think that the gemstone is rarer than it really is.
I remember reading a review about a Nilimani ring on Feefo. The purchaser simply said ‘It’s a sapphire, what else is there to say?’ I thought, no it’s not. How many people think that it is, bearing in mind that they constantly draw comparisons to Sapphires?

What companies do you recommend? Are their prices as good as Gemporia's? Do they send their products abroad?

Not true. They have some silver pieces with untreated morganites. Available examples: QYPO70, ZSPO37, HKPO17, DWPO68, LHPO14. Currently unavailable examples (from 2021 and early 2022): ETPO74, TWPO31, WIPO61.

I've already known about the greenish blue hue of untreated aquamarines. But I have some opaque, sky blue aquamarines from Gemporia and they all (except one ring) are described as untreated. They weren't expensive, possibly due to their lack of clarity.

I didn't know about the double purple colour of heat-treated amethysts. Thank you very much for the info. (y)
Aquamarine is my favourite gemstone and my last purchase from Gemporia was a pair of beautiful ascher cut earrings in gold. The certification says unenhanced. They are definitely more blue than green compared with some other items I have, but they are Nigerian and I think comparatively blue untreated stones have been found there.

Jess just on describing a cuprian tourmaline ring as 'completely natural' when both the tourmaline and zircon accents are shown as heat treated. I messaged the studio to query but ignored as usual. Less of the 'I wanna let you know', please Jess and some accurate detail that is worth knowing !!! Either you are deliberately misselling, or need to read your script! In your own words, Yeah yeah yeah, absolutely!

Jess just on describing a cuprian tourmaline ring as 'completely natural' when both the tourmaline and zircon accents are shown as heat treated. I messaged the studio to query but ignored as usual. Less of the 'I wanna let you know', please Jess and some accurate detail that is worth knowing !!! Either you are deliberately misselling, or need to read your script! In your own words, Yeah yeah yeah, absolutely!
She's not deliberately misselling - she's so out of her depth as a TV presenter that I don't think she would have the skills required to deliberately mislead.

The reality is (see what I did there?.........), her and Cheralene Lavery are just really poor presenters that have never developed with experience. They've both been at the channel for years now - yet they appear to have very little knowledge of the gemstones that they're selling, so they just revert to the same descriptions and phrases for every single item they sell, talk to the gallery crew and read a few customer names from the screen to time fill.

If they had been two of the presenters that had been made redundant by Gemporia, I would bet my house than neither of them would get another TV presenting job. They're just not up to it.

Latest posts

Back