No more 'mum'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Many women presenters and guests on QVC repeat word for word what their kids say. Examples: 'My daughter used to say, "Mummy, I don't like that!" or, "I would like two of those, Mummy." Don't kids call their mothers 'Mum' any more? And why repeat verbatim what the children say? If they have to repeat it, why not say, 'My daughter told me.......'? This comment seems petty, I know, but it gets my goat, especially when JR drags out the same story of what her kid said about 20 years ago!

Many women presenters and guests on QVC repeat word for word what their kids say. Examples: 'My daughter used to say, "Mummy, I don't like that!" or, "I would like two of those, Mummy." Don't kids call their mothers 'Mum' any more? And why repeat verbatim what the children say? If they have to repeat it, why not say, 'My daughter told me.......'? This comment seems petty, I know, but it gets my goat, especially when JR drags out the same story of what her kid said about 20 years ago!
Agree!! I find it’s people thinking they are posh that say mummy.
We called our mother,mum as did my friends (60/70’s) - we called our father,daddy - my niece born in the late 80’s was shocked - seemingly nowadays it means a totally different meaning(Sugardaddy!!). I wish we could get back to a more innocent time 🤔

Agree!! I find it’s people thinking they are posh that say mummy.
We called our mother,mum as did my friends (60/70’s) - we called our father,daddy - my niece born in the late 80’s was shocked - seemingly nowadays it means a totally different meaning(Sugardaddy!!). I wish we could get back to a more innocent time 🤔
It always seemed strange to me King C III caling the queen "mummy".

Truth be known they didn't say Mummy at all, it probably was mum. Mummy has an air of poshness, and of course there's the "yummy mummy". Mummy sounds gentile, fun and sweet, whilst mum sounds more like a browbeaten skivvy! (which doesn't fit in with the glamorous image they're trying to portray!). I'm sure when the grandchildren come along, if they haven't already, they'll all be "Gan Gans" and definitely not "Nan"!

As long as they don’t call them “babe” which is fast becoming my most hated word, pushing “guys” off the top slot.

Its bad enough when in a relationship addressing your partner but when it is used towards Tom Dick and Harry my blood boils. If blowing a kiss as well then I’m in cardiac arrest.

As long as they don’t call them “babe” which is fast becoming my most hated word, pushing “guys” off the top slot.

Its bad enough when in a relationship addressing your partner but when it is used towards Tom Dick and Harry my blood boils. If blowing a kiss as well then I’m in cardiac arrest.

What about "hun"? On a par with "babe"?

Eldest daughter is posh so calls me Mummy or Mums. My other two girls call me Mother when they want something. I called my darling mum Mummy or Mum. Or even Nanny when the grandchildren were born.

Latest posts

Back