No More Nina on Leighton Denny Shows

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sazza

Staff member
Post by Nina on Facebook

"Hello all! I have some news I wanted to share with you at the start of this new year.

When Leighton Denny MBE left the presenting side at QVC UK last year I was asked how I felt about taking over. Obviously, I loved working with LD as part of the "Dreamteam", and knew I would miss our working relationship. This also prompted me to consider our many devoted customers who really loved watching Leighton and I, and who very much followed our partnership over the 10 years on the shopping channel. However, like yourselves, I supported LD's decision 100% and still do; so I agreed to bridge the gap on air for him and give our loyal customers that continuity after his departure.

As I have now fulfilled my part of the agreement, that time has officially come to an end. Therefore, I will no longer be presenting in the UK but am still contracted to continue in Germany and also on Italian Television. The brand will continue on QVC UK, but I don't know anything more than that. Any queries will need to be directed to the brand or QVC themselves.

This was always part of the overall plan, but I cannot say I won't miss presenting the collections to our lovely UK customers who have been such an overwhelming support. I'd like to take this opportunity to say it has meant so much knowing that all of you were always right behind me; and I have to thank Leighton too, for being my biggest fan and ongoing supporter.

I am still very much on the radar, so will always answer questions about the products and general nail queries - beauty & nails has always been my passion and was never just a job for me.

I have been planning to evolve my career for a while but couldn't do so until this phase had come to a completion. I cannot reveal what it is yet but watch this space. I hope you will continue to follow the brand in its new chapter and hope we can all continue to stick together as the original LD family.

Thanks so much for everything and see you all very soon x"

It sounds like she was pushed to me, I always thought that AY was very frosty with Nina. I liked her and she could teach AY a few things about fashion and make-up application.

i dont think she was pushed she just does not like working for qvc. leighton obviously hated it you could see the friction burns he ran so fast lol

That is a very high brow resignation speech for a brand rep on Selly Telly - I mean, I've seen presidents resign with less words in their statement!

Wouldn't a simple 'so long and watch out for me as I'm staying in the business...' have done just fine?

Wonder if this has something to do with her decision.

"Hammer Holdings’ Chairman, George Hammer, has been involved in the Beauty and Wellness industry for decades – from The Fitness Centre in 1975 (which included the Alternative Therapy Centre), to The Sanctuary, the world’s first urban day spa in the 80s and major brands such as Aveda in the 90s. Currently, Hammer Holdings owns, partners, distributes and represents a variety of brands including Daniel Sandler, Mister Mascara, Leighton Denny, Vicki Ullah and philanthropic brand ‘all for eve’. Hammer Holdings also own the prestigious Urban Retreat which takes up residence on the top floor of Harrods in London and, at 22,000 square feet, is one of the largest salons in the world."

I wonder if LD has sold the company on the quiet or like many he has handed control over in return for a large equity investment. Now Nina finds herself surplus to demand because they are looking for someone younger to promote the brand or maybe she just doesn't fancy working for this lot, but had to remain until the end of her contract.

One possible reason for the rather "elaborate" resignation letter may be, if she is looking for other work it wouldn't be in her interests to start bad mouthing a company like this. Or she's looking to keep in their good books so she can pick up something from them herself.

Also if this is a recent acquisition it might also explain all the recent problems people had with their auto deliveries.

Last edited:
She will still be presenting Leighton Denny on QVC Germany and Italy, its says so in the statement.

There was a special range in Urban Retreat as far as I remember, it was not Leighton's full range. He created a small range for them to be exclusive.

I will say perhaps QVC UK no longer want to do some much LD as the brand is widely available on the high street now. Also Nina if working on QVC Germany and Italy might find trying to shoe horn in UK too much.

There are loads of LD kits in clearance now, I was surprised at just how many, so if you love LD there are some bargains to be had.

The only bit of LD I really have to have is the crystal nail file, I liked Nina and Leighton as guests, but they have moved on... lets hope to better things for them.

I'm not impressed with LD nail varnish It didn't have the longevity I expected and some if t especially the glitter ones were were thick and gloopy and set like cement. I found his nail files ok but won't be buying his products again. I am now using Nails inc Pro that I recieved as a gift and I really like it and it stays looking good much longer than LD.

Someone I know has spoken with Nina about becoming a foot model (about 18months ago) and Nina mentioned she was starting her own model agency (hand and feet in particular) so this maybe taking a portion of her time. It's an excellent career move if she does because eventually her hands won't be in demand as she ages.
A couple of things strike me about Nina, she's intelligent, speaking comfortably in German for QVC Germany but, and it's a big but in my view, she's never teased or belittled Leighton on air for his accent whereas several far from perfect presenters have. Nina and Leighton seem very different but obviously have a genuinely close friendship.

I wonder whether QVC will provide the new bland ambassadour...Carla? :mysmilie_13:

Years ago, or should that be "yurs"? I heard Alison Young mocking Leightons accent more or less all through the hour, she kept saying "well a dunt knor" yes, THE eloquent Alison Young who can't even look at the right camera after twenty two yurs and pronounces longevity as lon-gev-ity instead of lon-jevity, mind you that's not because of her accent, it's because she's thick. So well done for Leighton and Nina for getting out, many are.

Someone I know has spoken with Nina about becoming a foot model (about 18months ago) and Nina mentioned she was starting her own model agency (hand and feet in particular) so this maybe taking a portion of her time. It's an excellent career move if she does because eventually her hands won't be in demand as she ages.
A couple of things strike me about Nina, she's intelligent, speaking comfortably in German for QVC Germany but, and it's a big but in my view, she's never teased or belittled Leighton on air for his accent whereas several far from perfect presenters have. Nina and Leighton seem very different but obviously have a genuinely close friendship.

I wonder whether QVC will provide the new bland ambassadour...Carla? :mysmilie_13:

I imagine the presents thought they were being funny when they took the pee out of LD's accent. Why would Nina belittle him on air as she works for him and may or may not be a good friend. Good luck to her if she is branching out on her own.

Coming from Yorkshire myself l used to get very miffed at the way they took the mickey out of Leighton's accent. It would be incredibly boring if we all spoke with the same bland accent like the old BBC newsreaders. I really think regionality is something to be celebrated not mocked. Good luck to Nina in whatever her new projects are. I will miss her calm and professional no nonsense style.

QVC will have to produce some really stunning TSVs to keep people interested without Nina & Leighton, especially when you can buy the products in lots of places now.

She will still be presenting Leighton Denny on QVC Germany and Italy, its says so in the statement.

There was a special range in Urban Retreat as far as I remember, it was not Leighton's full range. He created a small range for them to be exclusive.

I will say perhaps QVC UK no longer want to do some much LD as the brand is widely available on the high street now. Also Nina if working on QVC Germany and Italy might find trying to shoe horn in UK too much.

But Clarks shoes are on many hight streets yet qvc relatively recently got them on board, so I'd be surprised if 'exclusivity' played a part

Coming from Yorkshire myself l used to get very miffed at the way they took the mickey out of Leighton's accent. It would be incredibly boring if we all spoke with the same bland accent like the old BBC newsreaders. really think regionality is something to be celebrated not mocked. Good luck to Nina in whatever her new projects are. I will miss her calm and professional no nonsense style.

I couldn't agree more. I won't change my flat vowels for anyone!

I did thing when he left that this was the beginning of the end in my opinion. Was never a great fan of the brand as a whole.
Lot of the brands mentioned in the list about Hammer, have been and gone QVC.

Nina must appear on QVC Germany for a contracted period, after which she will be free to pursue her own career path. From her twitter statement, I don't think her future plans, will be in competition with Leighton; a bit like biting the hand that feeds you. The modelling agency, aforementioned, seems a distinct possibility. Best of luck to her.

Coming from Yorkshire myself l used to get very miffed at the way they took the mickey out of Leighton's accent. It would be incredibly boring if we all spoke with the same bland accent like the old BBC newsreaders. I really think regionality is something to be celebrated not mocked. Good luck to Nina in whatever her new projects are. I will miss her calm and professional no nonsense style.

Claire Sutton referred to Leighton's accent once - not in a mocking way, I think she genuinely hadn't understood something he had just said and then she mentioned his accent was quite distinctive. Leighton said, "You can talk - you don't speak anything like that off camera!" It did make me smile but Claire took it very well, even though she looked a bit embarrassed.

Latest posts

Back