No More Nina on Leighton Denny Shows

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My issues completely clear up when I am not using nail products They flare up badly when using any brand other than LD, but I do have a teeny flare up even with LD. I am learning to love the natural nail! I apply polish now and again now, usually for a night out. I even get itchy eyes, which my GP put down to the same thing as we are constantly touching our eyes with our fingers. My eyes are also fine when no products being used! My thumbs, in particular, became so bad with gel polish on that I couldn't even use them properly. Ouch. Never again.

Try these. I am fine with them. No formaldehyde, toluene or dubutl phthalates in them and they do a soy based remover too.
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/search-results.html?searchterm=nail&searchterm_submit=Search

I think we`re all able to Police ourselves and judge what we personally deem to be acceptable risks with makeup or skincare. I try to limit the amount of chemicals I use on my skin, whether it`s makeup, bodywashes, hair products or face creams. I think it must take real effort and research to be totally chemical free and I admire anybody who is able to do it 100%.
On a serious note, I have a friend who has suffered breast cancer not once but twice and she investigates her cosmetics and skincare very seriously and who can blame her. Not only are we what we eat but we also are what we ingest through our skin as well as our other organs and a documentary I once watched, proved this. Two sisters in their 20`s had their blood analysed and it contained worryingly high levels of certain chemicals. They took away their skincare, haircare,. makeup and household cleaning products, replaced them all with chemical free ones and then re tested their blood a couple of weeks later and the levels had dropped dramatically, to almost zero.
Short term effects minimal but long term effects from years of absorbing chemicals in our makeup, skincare cleaning products etc didn`t make good listening I can tell you.

Excellent post about formaldehyde, Scout... I've not quoted it, but it's very thought-provoking. As ever, the industry powers that be won't "discover" they don't need these products until or unless they see a significant change in customer buying behaviour. The best we can all do for the time being is become better informed, so we can make better choices.

I do have a number of nail strengthening products, including Nail Envy and Microcell, but I only use one at a time, but I could imagine how easy it is to exceed the recommended "safe" limit as you illustrated.

Formaldehyde is also formed when we spray limonene (lemon fragranced) products and they combine with ozone, according to research referenced in this article on the bbc website... so even when we are aware of formaldehyde risk from one direction, there is another. How many of us use air-fresheners, room sprays etc without thinking? At least there is a measure of protection (according to the research findings) if you have houseplants...

Formaldhyde is almost unavoidable, though. It's given off into the home atmosphere by almost all laminate floorings, man made carpets and most types of modern furniture (especially of the re-formed wood types commonly used around the home in tables and sofas). It is a known carcinogen and governments do precious little about protecting us from it. (Industry pressure groups ensure that.)

Formaldehyde is also often used in shampoos, shower gels etc as a preservative. Always within the permitted "safe" limit in each product, of course, but god knows how much the safe limit is exceeded by when you add it all up. It's no wonder that 1 in 3 of us gets cancer. I always check for formaldehyde - I may not be able to escape it completely, but I can reduce my exposure to it as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back