Ofcom launches investigation into the Sit-up channels

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I actually feel sorry for whoever does the investigation at Ofcom. Imagine having to sit through an entire 27 ASA complaints and watching Dirty Peter with the massager? :emo: Whoever gets the task will need therapy or a worry angel session.

Yeh, they better not see that otherwise they will be referring Dirty Peter to his local mental health service.

If he was a liar he'd be the one with all the ASA's against him, but he's not.

He is a liar and he lies most shifts. The ASA don't name the presenter so they could have been talking about him on many occasions. He lies about the heritage of watch brands. He makes out like the price shouldn't be and will the bosses be annoyed etc and he has lied when he made out that the ocean dongle is a replacement for Sky and Virgin even though oddly he has still got Sky which is odd as he has got a dongle so erm can you see the problems there. Lies lies lies and that's just off the top of my head. No doubt you will go quiet again but please do reply, come on all the above has been heard not just me but others. All lies and you know it.

PJ

photo (19).jpg

That's not even half of them. Sad I know...

He is a liar and he lies most shifts. The ASA don't name the presenter so they could have been talking about him on many occasions. He lies about the heritage of watch brands. He makes out like the price shouldn't be and will the bosses be annoyed etc and he has lied when he made out that the ocean dongle is a replacement for Sky and Virgin even though oddly he has still got Sky which is odd as he has got a dongle so erm can you see the problems there. Lies lies lies and that's just off the top of my head. No doubt you will go quiet again but please do reply, come on all the above has been heard not just me but others. All lies and you know it.

PJ

Yeah, M&M will run off now in a sulk because, once again, there's nothing M&M can say to defend those points you made PJ.
I'm afraid Mikey boy is up there with the worst bulls****ers. The evidence is irrefutable so M&M really has nothing to say.
Mike probably thinks his way is the best way coz he has such a huge ego but he could learn so much from Andy Hodgson who is always polite, respectful, honest and transparent........in short, he's everything that Mike isn't.

View attachment 9144

That's not even half of them. Sad I know...

Good work Benny
We all owe you a thank you as it's because of persisting with the ASA that we're where we are today
I keep saying it and I'll say it again; we only want honesty and openness from all the presenters and the truth about the products and costs.
It's not much to ask but SitUp may have to pay a big price now for non compliance.

PJ

Once again you don't know what you are talking about.

I won't continue to feed a potential troll in this thread, namely someone who refuses to respond with any supporting facts let alone coherently construct a well-structured argument, but I will say this.

If Mike Mason was a decent television shopping channel salesman his actions would be ridiculously easy to defend. No it's, no but's, none of this "I know more about this than any of you" superiority claptrap (which on its own should be a sackable offence). No ambiguity.

The argument is ridiculously simple: You can't have any degree of ambiguity when selling to vulnerable people, and that includes anyone who isn't an expert in jewellery or perfumery, etc., which means nearly everyone watching the channels. This is what the ASA is trying to stamp out with their limited resources.

Of course it's too easy to blame producers/management for misselling, but if certain presenters can be more honest - ignoring Andy Hodgson because he appears to be his own boss - then Mike Mason can be more honest as well, though by now it's probably too late to make amends anyway. Because selling products on television is a whole lot more complex than simply pretending that something's far more valuable than it actually is, neglecting to mention the true value of the product in question, or that you can do without Sky when you have a dongle or that cheap suit is easily a match for something much more expensive, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes Mikey me old mucker, I'm talking about YOUR sales technique.

I won't continue to feed a potential troll in this thread, namely someone who refuses to respond with any supporting facts let alone coherently construct a well-structured argument, but I will say this.

If Mike Mason was a decent television shopping channel salesman his actions would be ridiculously easy to defend. No it's, no but's, none of this "I know more about this than any of you" superiority claptrap (which on its own should be a sackable offence). No ambiguity.

The argument is ridiculously simple: You can't have any degree of ambiguity when selling to vulnerable people, and that includes anyone who isn't an expert in jewellery or perfumery, etc., which means nearly everyone watching the channels. This is what the ASA is trying to stamp out with their limited resources.

Of course it's too easy to blame producers/management for misselling, but if certain presenters can be more honest - ignoring Andy Hodgson because he appears to be his own boss - then Mike Mason can be more honest as well, though by now it's probably too late to make amends anyway. Because selling products on television is a whole lot more complex than simply pretending that something's far more valuable than it actually is, neglecting to mention the true value of the product in question, or that you can do without Sky when you have a dongle or that cheap suit is easily a match for something much more expensive, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not Mike so I can't speak on his behalf. All I can say perhaps look at other
people that do actually blatantly lie & have a ton of upheld ASA's against them.
Mike is not one of those people. The company have the power to change things
so it's all in their hands now. It's unfair to single out specific presenters that you
do not personally like and brand them 'liars' when it's not true. I am not a troll, just
someone expressing an opposing opinion to yours. The presenters that you (not you
personally) slate are still human beings for goodness sake. They all have their own styles
(which some people may detest) but they are doing as they are told to by the company.

I'm not Mike so I can't speak on his behalf. All I can say perhaps look at other
people that do actually blatantly lie & have a ton of upheld ASA's against them.
so it's all in their hands now. It's unfair to single out specific presenters that you
do not personally like and brand them 'liars' when it's not true. I am not a troll, just
someone expressing an opposing opinion to yours. The presenters that you (not you
personally) slate are still human beings for goodness sake. They all have their own styles
(which some people may detest) but they are doing as they are told to by the company.

Well that's alright then, if the company tell presenters to exaggerate, mislead and scaremonger they're all completely innocent of any wrong doing.
Oh, hang on, there are things called standards, morals and ethics; hmmm I don't suppose that comes into it.
Nope, sorry M&M you still haven't actually put up any sort of valid or logical argument whatsoever to defend the presenters, but then you can't can you? I've told you before, there is no defending the indefensible.

So what I said was not true? None of what I said was opinion it was fact. 3 solid facts not opinion. Opinion would be Mike is ugly. I am not saying that he is but giving you an example. You said Mike was not a liar and I gave you three facts. Use the search feature of this forum and you will see others saw what I saw.

PJ

So what I said was not true? None of what I said was opinion it was fact. 3 solid facts not opinion. Opinion would be Mike is ugly. I am not saying that he is but giving you an example. You said Mike was not a liar and I gave you three facts. Use the search feature of this forum and you will see others saw what I saw.

PJ

did you enjoy mikes hello to you pj?

he looked very very angry for a man who has nothing to worry about....

I'm happy to give anyone the benefit of the doubt so maybe you could answer this.

Does Mike have a Vodafone 354? You see Moet he has given extremely conflicting information as to whether he does or not, it's all documented on here. He also told us that
Jean Paul DuPont were in negotiations with Debenhams for them to stock it but nothing ever materialised although he did qualify that by saying it might be true or not, he was dead right there!

I could go on if you like, the problem with bullshitting is you have to remember everything you have said previously. I agree that Mike isn't anywhere near as bad as some others when it comes to making outlandish claims about the actual products however, perhaps the reason some people dislike him so much is the stories he tells to support his sales. I think he is very devious in that respect but you cannot pull someone for telling tales, and i'm sure he knows that. But to suggest he is always honest is, to be frank, ludicrous.

But consider this Moet, you're right that 'the presenters that you (not you personally) slate are still human beings for goodness sake' but so are the poor customers who have been lied to, cheated, deceived, hoodwinked, railroaded, and generally treated like dirt. In my opinion there is no salvation for this company, it will probably close shortly and that will be the end of it.

And the shame will have to be carried by ALL the faces of Sit Up, I genuinely wouldn't wish to be in their shoes.

Last edited:
Moet If the presenters you defend as fine upstanding human beings, are such paragons of society, as of course are you; how do they sleep at night knowing that:

They are scaring people, particularly the vulnerable, with their scare stories

They have, until recently blithely glossed over the p&p.

They knowingly sell rubbish.

Ye, a job's a job but anyone with a conscience would prefer to stack shelves.

Last edited:

What an excellent post PP, well done.

If I was as Sit Up presenter it would shame me to read that whether I had been involved in such behaviour or not, sadly I doubt it would even register with most of them.

I feel absolutely gutted for Andy Hodgson (and to a much lesser degree one or two others) having to be associated with that shower, they must be mortified with all this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back