Oreck Vacuum Cleaner Summer Surprise

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

reflexgirl

Registered Shopper
Saw this Oreck as a summer surprise today, free p&p. 832635. The web still shows the p&p however, dont know why.
It does look impressive from the demo and am very tempted, due to the lightweight nature of it and the fact that it is bagged. I currently have a great samsung no bagged cylinder for my hardfloors (qvc) and a rotten dirt devil non bagged cleaner for my carpets which seems to put all the dust back into the atmosphere when you empty it and I have to end up cleaning it every time -horrid and also heavy. The reviews seem to be mixed but a majority like it. It looks like it was a tsv at some point and I was just wondering if any of you forumites have any comments to make before I take the plunge maybe

Reflexgirl i ordered one of the Orecks, and we found it a
really good hoover, but was very noisy. Great hoover, but hard to use under
beds etc, couldn"t be bothered with the carry on thing that was for the stairs.
Sent it back and they collected it, so no bother there. You could always try it
under the 30 mbg as there"s no postage lost. I got the miele cat and dog hoover,
really really great hoover, great suction :happy:

I agree BarklySparbs! I have only had canister vacuums and ordered my Miele C&D from JohnLewis a month before Q started selling. Between it and my Gtech, I'm covered. Great vacuum and quiet. I am hearing-sensitive and wore ear plugs for previous vacuums, but don't need to with the Miele. Happy Shopping, ReflexGirl x Snarly

I'm always tempted by Oreck because of how light it is.
I've had my henry hoover for years and its nothing less than great....but it is heavy,and with 3 lots of stairs,thats no easy task.
I had an upright dyson before my henry and it was the worse hoover I ever had!!!

I once had an Oreck and it was great light easy to use etc BUT the motor burnt out after just 2 years and as it was no longer covered by warranty it was just to expensive to get fixed.
I now use a dustpan and brush on my wooden floors and a cheap and cheerful Vax on my rugs and runners and on the bedroom carpets, it is very light with good suction but the accessories are worse than useless and it needs emptying after every use. But I do have 3 dogs and 2 cats so I have a LOT of animal hair to hover up

I love my Dyson Animal but it is heavy.

Don't be fooled by the "go over with your old vacuum cleaner and then try our amazing product XXXX" baloney. The last vacuum cleaner you use on on a carpet will always pick up more dirty than the previous one. The real test would be to go back to the old cleaner and if that picks up no dirt , then be impressed. I can almost guarantee that your old vacuum will pick up more dirt after an Oreck (or any other brand cleaner)

The trick is that there is always more dirt in the carpet pile than it is possible to remove without ripping the pile from the backing. Each pass of a vacuum cleaner agitates enough dirt for the next pass to pick up. There are huge quantities of micro-particles in all but the newest carpet

After years of using a bag-less vacuum cleaner I certainly would not want to go back to buy bags again and all the mess of removing/replacing them.

What you can probably guarantee with an Oreck is that it will last. It's a very old and simple robust design with not much to go wrong. That is the reason hotels use them. A cost of maintenance motivator as under constant use most modern vacuum cleaners would fall apart after a few weeks.

Stuart

Reflexgirl i ordered one of the Orecks, and we found it a
really good hoover, but was very noisy. Great hoover, but hard to use under
beds etc, couldn"t be bothered with the carry on thing that was for the stairs.
Sent it back and they collected it, so no bother there. You could always try it
under the 30 mbg as there"s no postage lost. I got the miele cat and dog hoover,
really really great hoover, great suction :happy:

my inlaws decided to push the boat out and get an upmarket hoover. got the oreck and said the same as you SB - couldn't be bothered with the separate cylinder thing. mil also said, it starts off light but cos you hardly ever have to change the bag, it gets heavier and heavier.....

interested to see stuart's comment about the mess of changing a bag. i have my first bagless (argos) and HATE it. emptying the damn thing is the filthiest job in the world. never again! i don't care what i have next as long as it's got a bag in it! on a quick ask round before i bought the one i have, most people said henry but i couldn't afford it at the time and also prefer an upright. i've got carpets and feel henry is more suited to hard floors?? having said that, i've never heard a bad word about them.

Janie. I agree some bag less can be horrible to empty. A friend of mine has a cheap bagless. It is light and picks up really well. To empty the cylinder you have to pull off the top which seems too involve throwing some of the contents on the floor. But at £59 it is a bargain compared with the average Dyson

My Dyson has a quick release trigger that opens the bottom of the cylinder. I either do straight into the wheely bin or occasionally into a bin bag. No mess and very very easy.

Stuart

Janie. I agree some bag less can be horrible to empty. A friend of mine has a cheap bagless. It is light and picks up really well. To empty the cylinder you have to pull off the top which seems too involve throwing some of the contents on the floor. But at £59 it is a bargain compared with the average Dyson

My Dyson has a quick release trigger that opens the bottom of the cylinder. I either do straight into the wheely bin or occasionally into a bin bag. No mess and very very easy.

Stuart

To be honest i actuallly got a dyson from QVC and when you change from hard floors to carpets, one of them doesnt work, so it stopped picking things up. So it was useless, and after getting the "LIST" from QVC before with all all all my items, i didnt even bother telling them. Actually it must only be under 2 years old, so its sitting here. Bought the Miele cat and dog from A,,,s and its brill, light and great suction. I"m tempted to ring, but then they say when did you buy it and i couldnt face that list again. Bad customer service sending that out, gave me a shock :down:

stuart - yeah my (cheap) one has the release catch but it never works. but even if it did, there seems to be about 500 fiters that you're supposed to clean. i always end up in a cloud of dust. it's vile. also, who wants to see all that grot in there anyway? with a bag, i pull the old one off, shove the new on on and voila!

barbs - list?? i like the sound of the miele one.

stuart - yeah my (cheap) one has the release catch but it never works. but even if it did, there seems to be about 500 fiters that you're supposed to clean. i always end up in a cloud of dust. it's vile. also, who wants to see all that grot in there anyway? with a bag, i pull the old one off, shove the new on on and voila!

barbs - list?? i like the sound of the miele one.

Janie , its 833167 £199.92, strange price. I got it elsewhere for about same price,
but at least with QVC you have MBG, which is what is used when i tried
the Oreck. The miele, is great, lightweight, ive bad back, not too heavy,
great suction , and had over 2 months, and as you say you just lift bag
out, all enclosed and pop in bin. Makes me , sort of, like hoovering. Great
reviews, 2 years guarantee, and think you can guarantee for 10 years for
extra £30, so very happy . The Dyson was awful :thinking:

My mate was moaning about his Dyson not picking up, and having just had a similar problem with our Electrolux upright, I asked him whether he'd checked the brush roll drive belt, as this was the problem with ours.

Sure enough his belt was snapped - £1.50 for 2 belts on ebay later and all was well again.

So before binning your upright vac for lack of suction, check your belts.

My mate was moaning about his Dyson not picking up, and having just had a similar problem with our Electrolux upright, I asked him whether he'd checked the brush roll drive belt, as this was the problem with ours.

Sure enough his belt was snapped - £1.50 for 2 belts on ebay later and all was well again.

So before binning your upright vac for lack of suction, check your belts.
Oh my goodness mhed we never thought about that. It just
stopped working on carpet so we thought it was the dyson, just asked and he never , never, checked the drive belt. We just gave up and
bought the miele, which is great,, but 200 quid ( i paid):mysmilie_504:

_357:Oh and welcome. Are you newish . :mysmilie_357::mysmilie_480::mysmilie_491: Loveinthe mist taught
me all these new symbols. Nearly everyone is really nice, helpful and friendly. Nice to see you, to see you
nice. Bit of Saturday vodka he he.. Waiting on Lulu Guinness coming on he he

Newish, and yet oldish too - thanks for the welcome.
Aren"t we all, but new to the forum. Did you view, like i did, before i took the step
and joined. Hard to taje the first step, but were here now. he he

having even more probs with the site than usual. have tried 5 or 6 times to include barbs' quote and every time it goes to the qvc website ?????

was just trying to say - i think you might have created a monster LIAM ;)

see if this works........

I really like my Oreck. Yes it looks like something from the 50s, but it works brilliantly and is so lightweight. I love the way it folds almost flat allowing me to hang it on the back of the under stairs cupboard door too.

The only drawback for me, was the lack of tools etc, so I have a tiny Dyson handheld rechargeable thing for my er.....crevices! I actually prefer this arrangement, rather having loads of tubes and tools hanging off my main Hoover.

Latest posts

Back