Orek..desighn fault or just faulty?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lemonsqueezy

Nice 'n Easy...
I bought the Orek TSV to try as I need a lightweight system due to back and joint problems.
Initally I thought wow!!
Did the job,lightweight and easy to store.However I started to notice that when I turned the machine on big plumes of dust were coming from through the outside bag.When I unzipped the bag, the dust bag had come away from the clip on mechanism inside and the dust was everywhere!!
So hubby cleaned it up..put a new bag on and tried again but we discovered everytime I turn the orek slightly for corners etc the dust bag becomes unclipped and the dust goes everywhere but where it should and this keeps happening?
Today was the last straw..again I checked the bag was secure before I started,vacced the lounge and same thing.. bag unclipped and dust everywhere!
It's going back,but I am disappointed as the weight etc is ideal.
So was wondering if any other Orek owners had experienced this sort of thing
before i decide whether to chance another.

Last edited:
That's rotten luck Lemonsqueezy. I got my Oreck a year ago as a TSV and I've not had a problem with it. I'd be tempted to give Oreck another go if I were you as it is such a brilliant cleaner and I've not come across one as lightweight. My friend has had hers for 12 years and it's still going strong.

Ive had an Orek for about 6 years , its never had an issue like you describe , It may be fault on that particular machine , how disapointing for you

My mum has an Orek and never had any problems with it. Maybe it is a faulty machine or could they have supplied the incorrect bags for the model you have? It may be worth giving Orek a ring before sending it back.

Hi Lemonsqueezy,:hi:
If you're looking for an alternative to your Oreck, I can highly recommend my Dyson DC24, which comes with a 5 year guarantee.
I've had mine 2 years now & it is very lightweight (5.4kg) & easy to use. It stores well, as the handle pushes down & makes it compact. The only disadvantage I find, is that you have to empty the dust container more often than a larger model, but it is very easy to do anyway.
In the 2 years I've had it, the price has stayed around the same, so it must be selling well. I bought mine from Amazon & no problems with it at all.

Mum and I have had our Orecks from QVC since the very first TSV, must be over 10 years at least and never had a problem with them. Oreck Customer Services are brilliant too so the suggestion someone made to speak to them I would endorse - I think they're excellent machines, especially as they are so light if that is an important feature for you

Thanks everyone.
Hubby explained the problem to Oreck and they think it must be a faulty machine so it's going back :sad:

I may give it another go though, or investigate alternatives.

just to add it may well be a fault as my mum in law has one and hers has been fab,she is 81 and has arthritis but its been ideal for her ,I think hers was a tsv around three years ago ..hope you get sorted

Sorry to hear about your problems. That mess must be terrible to clean up all the time.

I bought the light weight Dyson and find it to be very good. Probably not quite as light as the Orek, but never get any mess. In fact, I felt quite a 'mucky pup' when I saw all the extra dust it sucked out from the carpets on first run.

Hope you eventually get something that's suitable.

I bought the Orek TSV to try as I need a lightweight system due to back and joint problems.
Initally I thought wow!!
lemonsqueezy....the same reason as i have mine.....i love it....[ also have a vax now as well & thats great but...pop an empty oreck bag in & go over after the vax & you still get more dirt ......they are really really super & i hope you go for a replacement i dont think you will regret it.....even the hand held is ok to use.....

Thanks everyone.
Hubby explained the problem to Oreck and they think it must be a faulty machine so it's going back :sad:

I may give it another go though, or investigate alternatives.

Personally I would check out the GARRY which is on Ideal World this Saturday at 10pm, my sister who lives in America loves it.

Well thanks to some super sleuthing from my frugal hubby,I am now the proud owner of a" Vax Commercial" which is practically identical in design to the Oreck and does the job every bit as well!

The best bit is the price...£85 delivered from Am***n :rock: and it came with 6 spare bags!

Personally I would check out the GARRY which is on Ideal World this Saturday at 10pm, my sister who lives in America loves it.

That looks quite good , from what I've seen of the show so far - I like the idea of on board tools - the only thing I dislike about the Oreck is it is a separate machine for that.

Latest posts

Back