Phillip Schofield

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am, when out walking around, sort of in my head. So, back in the 80s, I used to walk up to the supermarket on Saturday mornings. For a number of Saturday's passed a man on the Ormeau Road and kept thinking I know his face. He always smiled and nodded at me as I passed, no doubt staring at him. Well, it turned out it was Warren Michelle of Alf Garnett famous he was making a series in Belfast about a factory, and he was the owner. It wasn't until the show aired I realized.

Move forward to the 90s, I came out of my doctor's and walked across to the bus stop. An American tourist with a backpack stopped and asked where the nearest pharmacist was? I pointed to one a few feet away, and he thanked me. I thought, I know his face. So we had a chat show at the time and that week up popped my American tourist as a guest, who it turned out was Dr. Green from the TV series ER. I think his name was Anthony Edwards, and he was also in Top Gun.

Honor Blackman was doing a play in The Grand Opera House and was out walking around smiling and just saying Hello to everyone as they walked past.

Its all because they're on the tele and have the exposure. There are heaps better actors on the London theatre stage, who could stand next to us in the chip shop queue and we wouldn't have a clue who they were, so their anonymity is assured.

I was in a deli in Covent Garden and Amanda Barry came in with a tiny tiny dog in a wicker shopping basket she definitely wasn’t Alma from Corrie but a bit of a luvvie.

An old boss of mine went to college with Gloria Hunniford at an age when young adults were just exploring their sexuality (lot older in those days!) and he used to belly laugh when GH was on TV spouting about her younger days, said it wasn’t as he remembered it!

When Anita McVeigh was still on BBC Ni I used to see her now and again - she had terrible bad skin and make up was trowelled on.

Stood there swigging gin whilst Andi Peters and Will were sucking up to him🙄. Flogging two bottles of "his" gin for £64 inc postage!! Sounded absolutely disgusting imo. Will stick to Whitley Neil pink grapefruit at £20 a bottle thanks. What with him, Andi Peters and Gail Samways screeching it was quite a show - not!
I don't care for Whitely gin prefer my Tanqueray and Hortus from Lidl not bad either. Got a litre of Tanqueray off the ship last month £15 and it was 47%.🤪🤪

Its all because they're on the tele and have the exposure. There are heaps better actors on the London theatre stage, who could stand next to us in the chip shop queue and we wouldn't have a clue who they were, so their anonymity is assured.
When my hubby used to work for Honeywell Computers one of his sites was Yorkshire TV in Leeds.
They were filming a TV programme starring Thora Hird and he said she was the nicest person. She used to go into the canteen and queue with everyone and she remembered all the canteen ladies and all the families and always asked after them.

I was in a deli in Covent Garden and Amanda Barry came in with a tiny tiny dog in a wicker shopping basket she definitely wasn’t Alma from Corrie but a bit of a luvvie.

An old boss of mine went to college with Gloria Hunniford at an age when young adults were just exploring their sexuality (lot older in those days!) and he used to belly laugh when GH was on TV spouting about her younger days, said it wasn’t as he remembered it!

When Anita McVeigh was still on BBC Ni I used to see her now and again - she had terrible bad skin and make up was trowelled on.
I don’t think she’s always confident .. she said on a documentary when she was in carry On Cleo .. she felt very inadequate next to the other ladies who played the maidens in it. I thought she looked great .. there are so many luvvies aren’t there lol …was listening to Sarah cox show years ago and was talking to an air hostess who said of all the Celebs Ben Affleck was the loveliest she’d met .. he’s now with J.Lo again

Myself and my daughter went to the Ideal Home Show a few years ago and saw Charlie Brooks (Janine in Eastenders) wandering around. As I passed by her we locked eyes so I smiled, said hello and that I thought she was brilliant in Eastenders. No response, she just walked away. At the same show we saw Amy Childs (Towie) who had a stall there, which her management were manning. I asked Amy if I could possibly have a photo with her, she smiled and said 'course.' Her manager (female) gave me the evil eye and said you're only supposed to have a photo taken with her if you buy something, but Amy put her arm round my shoulder and posed while my daughter took the photo. Needless to say, after the photo I didn't buy anything. Rude. We saw Natalie Cassidy (Sonia in Eastenders) in Top Shop in London and said hello. She asked me to give my opinion on a dress she was thinking of buying, lovely girl. I saw Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) in the 70s in a store in London, smiled and said hello and that I loved his songs, he too simply turned and walked away.

I don't care for Whitely gin prefer my Tanqueray and Hortus from Lidl not bad either. Got a litre of Tanqueray off the ship last month £15 and it was 47%.🤪🤪
I love Tanquerey Seville orange too Patsy. I was recently gifted a bottle of WN pink grapefruit and really enjoyed it for a change. Just bought another bottle! Good luck with your 47%!!!😜, great price!

I met Peter Noone in a lift at a hotel in London some years back now, but long after he had left the Hermits and left for America. I had read he was not a particularly nice person, so tried my autograph gag on him. ”Hello, Peter, how about an autograph?” I said. “I don’t do that,” he said, looking through me rather than at me. Oh go on,” I said - got out a piece of paper, signed it and left it on the lift floor for him.

The one who is number one of being a total bitch is Cilla Black. BA cabin staff could fill hundreds of pages, it seems. I did actually for a time know someone whose cousin went on Blind Date. Got a major shock as she went by seeing Cilla on TV and cheeky lotta lotta fun. No, production staff told contestants, do not look at Miss Black, do not speak to Miss Black between filming. Miss Black will speak to you when on air, and you can answer, otherwise do not speak to her.

Holly, another one who is nice if you go to the studio but not otherwise. I know someone who worked in an Elemis salon in London for a period before coming back to Belfast. She said none of the staff wanted to do Holly's facials as she was so nasty. Yet she kept coming back to the salon for facials, when not dressed by stylists she looked like a bag lady and a heavy smoker. But it was how rude she was to people that really got her.
I remember reading on another forum that Miss Black always insisted on seat A1 on a plane and would only drink champagne. She was notorious for treating the cabin crew with utter disdain. On one occasion, a member of the crew who was leaving the company and on her last flight made a point of asking her small talk type questions. "Miss Black doesn't talk to airline staff!" replied 'her Bobby'. When they were alighting, the crew member said to them, "Do you know something, I always knew Miss Black can't sing, but it wasn't until today that I realised she can't speak either!"

I have read too many different reminiscences about Billa Slack’s unfortunate manner with those she considered beneath her to consider them all to be false.

For me, it’s a real shame to believe she was vile to people just doing a job, because when you consider her working class background, you’d have hoped she would have felt a natural affinity to those doing lower paid jobs by remembering her own early life. But reports suggest she was not of that view once success set in.

I also have listened often to her Parlophone 1960s’ recordings. People may not choose to believe it, or are judging her voice from her later decades efforts, but she WAS a fantastic singer, with great expression and passion in her voice, plus a very good range. Top songwriters like Burt Bacharach would not have picked her to perform their songs had she been a joke vocalist. Unfortunately, as she moved into light entertainment presentation from the later 1970s, she left singing behind in any serious sense. And I think it is obviously easy to judge her as poor when she was belting out Surprise Surprise like a cat going through teeth extraction without an anaesthetic! But if you listen to her original rendition of You’re My World in particular, I defy anyone to seriously state she was a poor singer after hearing it.

Oh, a PIP fan has replied on QVC Facebook, he was cleared and did nothing was illegal.
Did anyone suggest he did something illegal?
Morally questionable was nearer the mark, I would have thought.
I think ITV are becoming a touch too like the BBC these days. I find myself turning to audiobooks rather than putting on the telly these days.

I have read too many different reminiscences about Billa Slack’s unfortunate manner with those she considered beneath her to consider them all to be false.

For me, it’s a real shame to believe she was vile to people just doing a job, because when you consider her working class background, you’d have hoped she would have felt a natural affinity to those doing lower paid jobs by remembering her own early life. But reports suggest she was not of that view once success set in.

I also have listened often to her Parlophone 1960s’ recordings. People may not choose to believe it, or are judging her voice from her later decades efforts, but she WAS a fantastic singer, with great expression and passion in her voice, plus a very good range. Top songwriters like Burt Bacharach would not have picked her to perform their songs had she been a joke vocalist. Unfortunately, as she moved into light entertainment presentation from the later 1970s, she left singing behind in any serious sense. And I think it is obviously easy to judge her as poor when she was belting out Surprise Surprise like a cat going through teeth extraction without an anaesthetic! But if you listen to her original rendition of You’re My World in particular, I defy anyone to seriously state she was a poor singer after hearing it.

I agree DoC. I remember the black and white entertainment progs on the tv in the 60's, and we saw all our female popsters in fabulous mini frocks : like Cilla, Sandie Shore, Lulu, and the wonderful Dusty in her 3d floral dresses, panda eyes and well lacquered hair. They all had a different style of singing. Then we would have the American contingency come over from time to time ; Dionne Warwick, Brenda Lee, Barbra Streisand, Liza Minelli
Compared to that lot, who is there today ? the wrist slashing Adele, Taylor Swift ?, is Kylie still working ? All generations have their 'musical time', but I feel we had more choice to listen and dance to back then.

Let’s not forget James Corden how rude he was to restaurant staff, never liked him ,his ego is bigger than his talent 😟
The way he behaved with Patrick Stewart at an awards show ten or so years ago showed the true and low measure of him. His aggressive body language and posture towards a man he was not fit enough to wipe the boots of was physically sickening, and a word that seems to suit him long term - bullying. For me, he is a talentless, opportunistic simpering to those he thinks require it, overweight school Flashman on a pork pies overdose. Speaking and putting down to those he considers underlings, and talking up to those he believes he needs to brown nose to. He has absolutely not a redeeming quality in my opinion.

The way he behaved with Patrick Stewart at an awards show ten or so years ago showed the true and low measure of him. His aggressive body language and posture towards a man he was not fit enough to wipe the boots of was physically sickening, and a word that seems to suit him long term - bullying. For me, he is a talentless, opportunistic simpering to those he thinks require it, overweight school Flashman on a pork pies overdose. Speaking and putting down to those he considers underlings, and talking up to those he believes he needs to brown nose to. He has absolutely not a redeeming quality in my opinion.
With you on that - couldn't abide him from the off; fat, overbearing and overpaid bully.
Be interesting to see if he's off the Beckham's Christmas card list.

Latest posts

Back