plus size models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just watching the Renee show, and I'm wondering if some of the models are on work study ! particularly some of the plus size girls, they clunk awkwardly down the runway as though they've had no guidance whatsoever, then stand as though they're in front of the headmistress and not knowing where to put their hands. Aren't there courses for potential models to learn their trade ? I realise the stylists are putting them in ill flattering clothes, but they seem to lack confidence, which you must have even if you're forced to wear a potato sack.

Incidentally, I see that Sharon no longer does all that 'faffing' with her hands like she used to years ago - some of you on here must be remember that !

Just watching the Renee show, and I'm wondering if some of the models are on work study ! particularly some of the plus size girls, they clunk awkwardly down the runway as though they've had no guidance whatsoever, then stand as though they're in front of the headmistress and not knowing where to put their hands. Aren't there courses for potential models to learn their trade ? I realise the stylists are putting them in ill flattering clothes, but they seem to lack confidence, which you must have even if you're forced to wear a potato sack.

Incidentally, I see that Sharon no longer does all that 'faffing' with her hands like she used to years ago - some of you on here must be remember that !

Sharon is one of my favs - but she was flaffing with her hands - not years ago, but even up till recently and yes I remember her doing it from the start, I think she is very glamorous.

I agree about the plus size models too.

The poor plus size soul I caught briefly on the Renee hour yesterday was trussed up in white jeans that were at least a size too small and a vest top thing that was more like two sizes too small. It was a wonder she could walk at all!

I truly believe that the backroom stylists haven't the slightest idea how to dress a body that is larger than a size 12. The regular models are generally up to a height of 5'10 and enjoy the slightest curve over the hip with barely a bust, so easy peasy for them to 'throw' something on with a few beads or oversight hat.

Then we have the 'plus' size - "oh dear, we have to contend with larger thighs and hips, and then there's the blasted bosom that wont behave itself; ok we've only got the 'sample' size so it'll have to be a squeeze and go, and hopefully no-one will notice that its not large enough for the body, but put her in some heels and shove a scarf around her neck to distract, and it'll be fine". Er, NO a curvy body has different issues, and any stylist worth their salt should be clever enough to accentuate the best and cleverly dress the not-so best. These stylists have hours to prepare for the on air shows, with all the fashion at their disposal, so to send these girls out looking, yes, laughable, is humiliating to them and an insult to their viewing audience: and for the 'guest' to spout that so and so looks absolutely 'amazing' is cringeworthy and embarrassing.

I'm another Sharon fan but she isn't on very often now, don't even mind the hands too much.

The plus size girl was in a maxi and looked good to me but I only saw a snippet so could have missed the bad bits.

There isn't a single person in the clothing business who is interested in anyone over a size 8 and under 6 ft. Likewise every designer has mad colours and designs in their shows but when they come out to take their bow they will always without fail be in all black and the plainest style imaginable . Do as I say not as I do?

It speaks volumes that most 'designers' are gay men who 'design' for androgenous bodies, and throw a hissy fit if there is the slightest hint of a womanly feature. Sadly the prominent female designers (yes you VB) do nothing to counteract this, and wont do whilst they continue to make thousands for the haute couture range which only the extremely wealthy and extremely thin women can afford. Interestingly there is a double page spread of Joan Collins in today's D/Mail, in her various outfits, and a lot of them she has designed and had made herself, and I can understand why.

With the exception of Joy (now departed from Q) none of the plus size models know how to model. They can't even walk without stomping like all-in wrestlers. Surely walking in an elegant manner is part of the first day's modelling course? Even if the clothes were better (and fitted) these clueless lumps would make them look terrible.

My initial point exactly Quitevacuouschat, which makes me wonder whether these young girls actually DO go on a modelling course because I'm sure my Border Terrier could make a better job of mincing down the catwalk ! Its not rocket science, just parade in an elegant manner, and don't forget, they do have the 'professionals' parading with them to watch and copy for heavens sake. Like I said before, either they are on work experience or they're cheap.

Or their second job is as a wardrobe. The newer models (some of whom lasted only a show or two and I sort of suspect that they might be presenters offspring) had less going for them than a plank of wood.

Joy was lovely and a good model. They also used to have another plus size girl called Pamela and she seemed to look nice in everything. Sophia that is used now isn't even that large but the way she's put out on the catwalk makes her look fat, when she really isn't. They just put all the wrong clothes on the bigger models.

CC

I like Sharon the model who twirls. She can make anything look good, and is really elegant and yet sparkly. Thumbs up from me.

I also really liked Joy. I know she was a very pronounced apple shape with amazingly gravity-defying chesticles, but she walked elegantly and if a garment could be made to look good for a fuller figure, she was able to do that. It was just a shame QVC didn't also have a plus size pear-shape model who could model properly to show for the other ladies. And she was really nice when I met her at the one beauty bash I went to (morning session, and she'd been doing the TSV launch that day, back when they broadcast live until 2am, and still really friendly and not at all diva). Such a shame they stopped using her.

Many of the newer, younger, models look the opposite of poised and elegant when they are modeling. I would expect that the agencies they are signed up with would provide some training to their models, but perhaps what QVC pays for their models means they won't get the best trained models as their agencies can probably book them out for higher fees. I think perhaps for the older models because there is much less work out there for them the market rates are consequently lower, hence why far more of the models on QVC are more mature... similarly for the younger but shorter girls and the plus size girls.

The one thing I think is a total disgrace on Q is when the models are doing sandals and their feet are in appalling condition and sometimes not that clean.

The one thing I think is a total disgrace on Q is when the models are doing sandals and their feet are in appalling condition and sometimes not that clean.

And worse, when they are up on the couch and you can see grubby soles of feet - surely they could get the girls on the couch to wear some slippers or something to get to the couch so we could see clean feet?

You can say what you like about Joy, but she was a great model and knew how to do a catwalk and show off an item of clothing (quite an achievement given some of the tat they have to wear). I don't think any of the new plus size models are all that great at the catwalk.

I liked Joy too-most of the others look so uncomfortable and highly unlikely to wear anything they pour them in at Q I real life.

Catherine's (the lola rose model) Mum is curvier but only tends to model Diane Gilman Jeans and they always look a bit tight and a bit short on her.

I like Sharon the model who twirls. She can make anything look good, and is really elegant and yet sparkly. Thumbs up from me.

I also really liked Joy. I know she was a very pronounced apple shape with amazingly gravity-defying chesticles, but she walked elegantly and if a garment could be made to look good for a fuller figure, she was able to do that. It was just a shame QVC didn't also have a plus size pear-shape model who could model properly to show for the other ladies. And she was really nice when I met her at the one beauty bash I went to (morning session, and she'd been doing the TSV launch that day, back when they broadcast live until 2am, and still really friendly and not at all diva). Such a shame they stopped using her.

Many of the newer, younger, models look the opposite of poised and elegant when they are modeling. I would expect that the agencies they are signed up with would provide some training to their models, but perhaps what QVC pays for their models means they won't get the best trained models as their agencies can probably book them out for higher fees. I think perhaps for the older models because there is much less work out there for them the market rates are consequently lower, hence why far more of the models on QVC are more mature... similarly for the younger but shorter girls and the plus size girls.

Heartily agree with your comments; but there begs the question, how do these young girls get taken on an agencies books in the first place ? I was under the impression it was a pretty cut throat business to get a placement, but clearly not if the Q models are an example. I would imagine any one of us on here with all our varying body shapes, could show these young things a thing or two, and we've only learned by watching years of Q models strutting their stuff.

I attended a charm school 40 years ago and one of the catwalk modelling tasks was to model a piece of jewellery and everybody had to guess what piece it was. I modelled a necklace, the jewellery was our own. Training in deportment, where to place hands and feet whilst walking or standing, how to enter and leave a room and, of course, the obligatory twirl were all included. The training has alwayed stayed with me and was lots of fun. I attended because mum wanted me to have an interest outside the house that was purely for me, I was just 18 and it was expensive but a confidence builder. There were all ages there and the oldest lady, who was very elegant to start with, was 60. Happy days :mysmilie_47:

Latest posts

Back