Practical Presents TSV 18/09/23

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My problem with 'drying out' (!) is the washing gestapo opposite, who feel it is their right to complain/comment on my laundry affecting their view.
Yes, really.
Wow. Seriously wow that they can afford to use their tumble drier all the time. Actually you could point out that it enhances their view by adding a bit of colour - unless of course your undies have all gone grey. Or maybe they're just jealous that you wear a bigger cup size? :unsure:

My problem with 'drying out' (!) is the washing gestapo opposite, who feel it is their right to complain/comment on my laundry affecting their view.
Yes, really.
Unfortunately that would only make me do it all the more often. Though I do tend to have washing out at least a few days every week anyway.

Just after I moved in to my current house, I was putting up a conventional washing line when I was rudely interrupted by my next door neighbour who I hadn't even met yet.

Her ONLY window that overlooked my clothes line was her bathroom window, which was frosted. But she opened this window, leaned out and said "The previous owners just used a rotary line, which they had at the other side of the house, so I could not see it".

As I said, she could not see it from any window in her house unless she opened the bathroom frosted window and leaned out!!!

From then on, my wife and I called her Hyacinth Bucket (not to her face of course) and she did everything she could to annoy us. My house had been empty for a year, and I think she had got used to and enjoyed no-one living next to her.

The only time I had "trouble" was a few years back when my next door neighbour knocked on my door and said I thought I'd better let you know I'm having a barbecue this afternoon so you might want to bring your washing in. I got the strong impression that she didn't want her guests to have to see my washing hanging out as opposed to her worrying that my washing might pick up smells or dirty marks. I politely thanked her and said that it'll probably be dry and taken in before then anyway, but I was thinking "snotty cow" and I should've left it out for the hell of it!!!

Must've been - something clearly made me take leave of my senses! Even if it had turned out to be easy to clean, lets not forget it needed to be emptied after every use else you'd have a tank of dirty water to look at/smell. Even if it was light enough to pour away down the sink, the bog, the bath would you really want the debris from your vacuum cleaner in those places? I am now remembering trying having to fill the cannister with jugs of water as direct from the tap was awkward and of course impossible to lift once full, I'm remembering getting wet feet when I was trying to empty it. Worst shopping telly product ever - unless anyone knows different!!
wonder how they concealed all those flaws in the sales pitch?

Just after I moved in to my current house, I was putting up a conventional washing line when I was rudely interrupted by my next door neighbour who I hadn't even met yet.

Her ONLY window that overlooked my clothes line was her bathroom window, which was frosted. But she opened this window, leaned out and said "The previous owners just used a rotary line, which they had at the other side of the house, so I could not see it".

As I said, she could not see it from any window in her house unless she opened the bathroom frosted window and leaned out!!!

From then on, my wife and I called her Hyacinth Bucket (not to her face of course) and she did everything she could to annoy us. My house had been empty for a year, and I think she had got used to and enjoyed no-one living next to her.
She sounds just like the Gestapo opposite. Did you tell her about the obvious frosted window?
One day I will respond to SS with many adjectives, but always avoid her around Halloween in case she casts a spell. Hubby is scared of her.

wonder how they concealed all those flaws in the sales pitch?
It was an infomercial so no presenters. It just showed someone in a black and white video lugging around the most outdated bulky looking vac from the 1970's sweating and sneezing their heads off in the process and probably depicted (long time ago so I don't remember too much) a burly bloke lifting the canister off with his little finger and pouring the fake liquid (minus all the hair and guff) down the sink and of course brand new carpets for the after shots and it being stored away in a large cupboard under the stairs that had bugger all else in it - As the song by the Who goes - "Won't get fooled again"

Last edited:
The only time I had "trouble" was a few years back when my next door neighbour knocked on my door and said I thought I'd better let you know I'm having a barbecue this afternoon so you might want to bring your washing in. I got the strong impression that she didn't want her guests to have to see my washing hanging out as opposed to her worrying that my washing might pick up smells or dirty marks. I politely thanked her and said that it'll probably be dry and taken in before then anyway, but I was thinking "snotty cow" and I should've left it out for the hell of it!!!
We've always let neighbours know if we are having a BBQ.

We had new windows fitted, they were the correct brown colour, but the design didn't match hers and the other houses, which were single glazed leaded lights which we hated, and they are also VERY insecure.

She didn't say anything to us, but I found out later she had written to the council to try and get us to remove them (they cost £1000s).

In the town Poundbury which Prince (now King) Charles had a hand in developing, hanging out washing is totally banned. No clothes lines permitted and no hanging anything outside. One tenant was even told she had too many plants and hanging baskets outside her house and was asked to remove them. Apparently someone`s knickers blowing in the breeze is seen as uncouth !
Mind you I bet Charles doesn`t have a clue how ordinary people do their laundry and his clean undies magically appear and are perfectly ironed with creases down the sides, not to mention his silk socks hand washed by his butler.

In the town Poundbury which Prince (now King) Charles had a hand in developing, hanging out washing is totally banned. No clothes lines permitted and no hanging anything outside. One tenant was even told she had too many plants and hanging baskets outside her house and was asked to remove them. Apparently someone`s knickers blowing in the breeze is seen as uncouth !
Mind you I bet Charles doesn`t have a clue how ordinary people do their laundry and his clean undies magically appear and are perfectly ironed with creases down the sides, not to mention his silk socks hand washed by his butler.
And his manservant allegedly also puts the toothpaste onto his toothbrush, ready to use.

Talking of laundry I recently tried Tallow and Ash laundry products. They smell totally divine and are called Laundry Shampoo and conditioner. It`s a new brand and has only been around for a few months. Even Mr V commented how nice the towels smelled. Their stuff isn`t cheap and its non bio, planet friendly. They had an offer a while ago so I ordered the sample pack which was on offer at the time. No idea what price it is now or whether they currently have any special deals because I`m still using the sample pack which includes a sachet of every fragrance of laundry shampoo and a sachet of every fragrance of conditioner. I`ve been saving them for towels and bedding.

Can't hang washing out? How ridiculous.

Talking of laundry I recently tried Tallow and Ash laundry products. They smell totally divine and are called Laundry Shampoo and conditioner. It`s a new brand and has only been around for a few months. Even Mr V commented how nice the towels smelled. Their stuff isn`t cheap and its non bio, planet friendly. They had an offer a while ago so I ordered the sample pack which was on offer at the time. No idea what price it is now or whether they currently have any special deals because I`m still using the sample pack which includes a sachet of every fragrance of laundry shampoo and a sachet of every fragrance of conditioner. I`ve been saving them for towels and bedding.
Where are his green credentials, making everyone use artificial driers of one sort or another?

We had new windows fitted, they were the correct brown colour, but the design didn't match hers and the other houses, which were single glazed leaded lights which we hated, and they are also VERY insecure.

She didn't say anything to us, but I found out later she had written to the council to try and get us to remove them (they cost £1000s).
OMG!!! How did you discover this? Unless you were in a conservation area, or listed building, no enforceable issue

And his manservant allegedly also puts the toothpaste onto his toothbrush, ready to use.
Really????

Non bio wouldn't cut it for me. I live with a dirty old bear.

There's a new town near me where (according to the local rag) you are not allowed any frosted glass, even in bathrooms at street level.
EH?

Jesus what a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back